Great explanation on how Langs exploited Oregon's Defense

lo country

I'll admit, watching the game, I often only see the results and not what made them possible. At least not live action (maybe blown coverage, tackle etc), but not the nuances. I said Langs never called one play o set up another. Maybe last year, but this year he appears to know what he has and how to use it.

Also explains a little about TO's multiple offense and what multiple means for Langs and Co.

https://huskerchalktalk.com/2016/09/22/oregon-behold-tommy-armstrongs-evolution/

I am hoping this wasn't a one game once and done, but an actual step in who NU is on O. The RPO link shows what Herman did at OSU. Good stuff as well.

• Fire 5

I've been very pleased with Langsdorf this season. I didn't think he did a bad job last season, but for a true WCO/pro-style guy, he's done a remarkable job adjusting to having a running quarterback and adjusting to the college game.

I loved seeing us come out in two back sets against Oregon. I might be wrong but I don't recall seeing that at all last season (at least two runningbacks).

• Fire 1

It's a little thing but when Tommy sells a pump fake, it really freezes defenders.

I have screamed that since he has started. He stares down a receiver so much that a pump fake or look left and then throw right would work magic for him. He has so much of "look there, throw there" on film that DB's will jump that first look or pump.

You dont need all that garbage. Just run the damn ball.

I agree on the running the ball. We seem to have a good set of backs. You gotta admit seeing all 3 LB's bite and call one play, then use the same formation, run it 3 different ways with good results is pretty nice. Langs might actually be the first one that we have had in a while that can actually call plays to set one up. And actually appears to be using TA in that RPO and running the ball. I do think he abandoned it early against Oregon, but then started heavy with Oz and the results were a win.

I will admit that during the game I did go ballistic on the poor pass to Wilbon and said he was dumber than Beck. And then someone mentioned Wats.... TA then said post game that he didn't drop as deep as he should have and that the poor pass was on him.

It's a little thing but when Tommy sells a pump fake, it really freezes defenders.

I have screamed that since he has started. He stares down a receiver so much that a pump fake or look left and then throw right would work magic for him. He has so much of "look there, throw there" on film that DB's will jump that first look or pump.

As far as staring down and fake pumps, let me mention some brilliance. When Drew Bledsoe got hurt during a season and Tony Romo was forced into it, his first year and a half was faking out the safety. For example, his first read was on the right hand side, so when he dropped back (from center or shotgun), he stared down the receiver to his left. Then turned and fired it to his right (first read). Easy completion, move chains. And vice versa. He fooled the secondary, DC's, Madden, ESPN analysts and everyone until he understood the power behind it and learned what his 2nd and 3rd reads were doing in the play called. In other words, don't stare down where you want to throw the ball. And if it's not there, fake pump and run for some yards (Romo did that really well when 1st read was covered early on in his career). By the end of his 2nd season as a starter and into his 3rd, he knew all the plays that he didn't have to do this so much. But always kept it in his back pocket.

• Fire 1

As far as staring down and fake pumps, let me mention some brilliance. When Drew Bledsoe got hurt during a season and Tony Romo was forced into it, his first year and a half was faking out the safety. For example, his first read was on the right hand side, so when he dropped back (from center or shotgun), he stared down the receiver to his left. Then turned and fired it to his right (first read). Easy completion, move chains. And vice versa. He fooled the secondary, DC's, Madden, ESPN analysts and everyone until he understood the power behind it and learned what his 2nd and 3rd reads were doing in the play called. In other words, don't stare down where you want to throw the ball. And if it's not there, fake pump and run for some yards (Romo did that really well when 1st read was covered early on in his career). By the end of his 2nd season as a starter and into his 3rd, he knew all the plays that he didn't have to do this so much. But always kept it in his back pocket.

So very true. Nothing to do with his mechanics, feet etc.... just simply looking one way. I really think this was the first game I actually saw TA sell that pump fake. Maybe one game last year, but as you mentioned above maybe TA now has this in his back pocket. I hope so. It will serve us well.

• Fire 1

I agree on the running the ball. We seem to have a good set of backs. You gotta admit seeing all 3 LB's bite and call one play, then use the same formation, run it 3 different ways with good results is pretty nice. Langs might actually be the first one that we have had in a while that can actually call plays to set one up. And actually appears to be using TA in that RPO and running the ball. I do think he abandoned it early against Oregon, but then started heavy with Oz and the results were a win.

I will admit that during the game I did go ballistic on the poor pass to Wilbon and said he was dumber than Beck. And then someone mentioned Wats.... TA then said post game that he didn't drop as deep as he should have and that the poor pass was on him.

Beck actually set up plays all the time, T-Mart's naked boot at MSU is probably the best one I can think of. He worked the PA pass and run plays most of the night then let Taylor loose for the TD run. He also would call counter plays and then come back with a PA pass that pulled the guard, and sometimes tackle, to replicate run blocking. I don't think he could use route combinations in the passing game like OCDL does to influence the D though.

Ha ha! I think the author put this quote in just for you (or maybe your post was just for that quote?): :lol:

Calm down there, Run the Damn Ball Guy, I’m not saying OCDL is Tom Osborne.

Great, great article. +1