Anyone ever heard of the 1st amendment people......they are being way more American than all those here who are condemning their actions for being "Unamerican", you are all hypocrites, let them have their voice heard.

You don't have to agree with their platform but at least agree with their right to express themselves, otherwise you may as well just be in communist China

I agree with their right to express themselves. That doesn't mean it's not classless, tasteless, and overall unbecoming of a representative of the taxpayer-funded University if Nebraska.

You are way overreacting, its a simple peaceful protest which has happened multiple times throughout history, so whats the big f'ing deal? UNL should support their right to express their views if anything, if they were an overreaching University they would force them to stop.

Simply let the players stand up for what they believe in, any resistance is a totalitarian movement that will reduce productivity and make the players become less loyal to the University they support. UNL should support their right to express their opinion. Like I said, you don't have to agree with it, just understand their right to voice their opinion.

Their opinion is just as valid as anyone elses.

I'm not "way overreacting". Overreacting would be asking for their expulsion. I'm saying they're classless and tasteless because they're intentionally showing a lack of respect for the symbol of our country and all who've sacrificed for it; which, incidentally, has nothing to do with what they're protesting.

Everyone who has ever said they're disrespecting people who have sacrificed for the country is claiming they can read people's minds. Unless these players come out and say they don't give a sh#t about how they were protected during wars, then that's just a big giant guess on your part.

If you're specifically talking about the lyrics of the song, why should someone who is fighting against systematic racism care all that much about sacrifices made by our soldiers during a time when slavery was legal?

Respect for the flag is something that is ingrained in the minds of all members of the military. It means respect for the people who made the flag possible, so it's easy to infer that disrespect for the flag is disrespect for the people who made the flag possible.

As for people fighting against perceived systemic racism, maybe they should care about the sacrifices of those soldiers because many of their progeny paid with their lives to end slavery. Might be something worthy of respect.

It's just plain silly to think anyone's doing this to specifically diss soldiers or soldiers who died for the country. Especially when lots made it clear what they're specifically doing it for. To me the flag represents the country. It doesn't represent soldiers. I wasn't in the military but my dad fought in Vietnam and my grandpa was also in the Navy. The country has sent soldiers to die for unjust causes before. It's kind of similar to being against the Iraq/Vietnam wars but not against the soldiers who fought in them. The people doing this are against systematic racism which is something they think our country is allowing. It has nothing to do with soldiers fighting for the country.

The problem is that many, many people do see it as an insult to this country's soldiers. Which is they overshadow what they're protesting by doing it during the national anthem.

Let's be honest. The people who have a problem with this would have a problem with any action taken at any time on this topic. Its not the actual kneeling that bothers them so much as the fact that attention is being paid to an issue they don't believe exists.

• Fire 1

Anyone ever heard of the 1st amendment people......they are being way more American than all those here who are condemning their actions for being "Unamerican", you are all hypocrites, let them have their voice heard.

You don't have to agree with their platform but at least agree with their right to express themselves, otherwise you may as well just be in communist China

I agree with their right to express themselves. That doesn't mean it's not classless, tasteless, and overall unbecoming of a representative of the taxpayer-funded University if Nebraska.

You are way overreacting, its a simple peaceful protest which has happened multiple times throughout history, so whats the big f'ing deal? UNL should support their right to express their views if anything, if they were an overreaching University they would force them to stop.

Simply let the players stand up for what they believe in, any resistance is a totalitarian movement that will reduce productivity and make the players become less loyal to the University they support. UNL should support their right to express their opinion. Like I said, you don't have to agree with it, just understand their right to voice their opinion.

I'm not "way overreacting". Overreacting would be asking for their expulsion. I'm saying they're classless and tasteless because they're intentionally showing a lack of respect for the symbol of our country and all who've sacrificed for it; which, incidentally, has nothing to do with what they're protesting.

Everyone who has ever said they're disrespecting people who have sacrificed for the country is claiming they can read people's minds. Unless these players come out and say they don't give a sh#t about how they were protected during wars, then that's just a big giant guess on your part.

If you're specifically talking about the lyrics of the song, why should someone who is fighting against systematic racism care all that much about sacrifices made by our soldiers during a time when slavery was legal?

Respect for the flag is something that is ingrained in the minds of all members of the military. It means respect for the people who made the flag possible, so it's easy to infer that disrespect for the flag is disrespect for the people who made the flag possible.

As for people fighting against perceived systemic racism, maybe they should care about the sacrifices of those soldiers because many of their progeny paid with their lives to end slavery. Might be something worthy of respect.

It's just plain silly to think anyone's doing this to specifically diss soldiers or soldiers who died for the country. Especially when lots made it clear what they're specifically doing it for. To me the flag represents the country. It doesn't represent soldiers. I wasn't in the military but my dad fought in Vietnam and my grandpa was also in the Navy. The country has sent soldiers to die for unjust causes before. It's kind of similar to being against the Iraq/Vietnam wars but not against the soldiers who fought in them. The people doing this are against systematic racism which is something they think our country is allowing. It has nothing to do with soldiers fighting for the country.

The United States is NOT a military state. The military is not identical to the country. They are separate things. I don't know why this is hard for so many people to grasp. Actually, you know, it isn't. It's a cynical red herring argument.

The military made the country and its freedoms possible from the foundation. They ARE separate things, but neither would be possible without the other. It's not a red herring, in spite of your inability to understand it.

The United States is NOT a military state. The military is not identical to the country. They are separate things. I don't know why this is hard for so many people to grasp. Actually, you know, it isn't. It's a cynical red herring argument.

The military made the country and its freedoms possible from the foundation. They ARE separate things, but neither would be possible without the other. It's not a red herring, in spite of your inability to understand it.

How do you feel about the Vietnam War? Was that a good idea? Is it wrong to question it?

Lots of white people in this thread upset over how some black people bring attention to a problem in this country.

Black people being shot by cops is a small part of the greater picture, namely systemic racism against blacks. Deny it if you want, but white privilege is a thing. As a white person, I was pretty unaware of the problem because I was never a victim. I had to become educated. White people enjoy a lot of freedoms that most black people don't. Most things are very subtle, but the cumulative effect is huge. Ask yourself if you would want to be treated the same as black people in this country.

We should be proud of these young men for taking a stand for something they believe in. So before you decry them for being "unpatriotic" and "disrespectful", maybe try to learn a little about what they've experienced to get to this point.

• Fire 5

How do you feel about the Vietnam War? Was that a good idea? Is it wrong to question it?

I like this. What's more offensive? people kneeling or people burning their draft cards/dodging the war?

Btw this isn't directed at you Moiraine

The national anthem is not just for veterans or those who have fought for the US. Its for everyone, and stands for our nation's incredible freedoms - for every Individual. People can acknowledge it however they want. Some people sing, some do not. Those bastards are unpatriotic! Some people put their hands over their heart - some do not - how scandalous! I agree w/the above comment. You people making a big deal out if it are the ones w/the issue.

What that guy said ^

Furthermore, it's putting more pressure on finding a solution to the violence; which I'm pretty sure is universally desirable.

Well....pressure to find a solution to SOME violence.....a very, very, very minute portion of the violence that occurs.....African American kids have been killing African American kids for decades.....no one ever gave a hoot about that violence. Now, these kids surely have the right to act the fool....I served to give them that right.....but they are misguided, bandwagoning, trend-following sheep, and disingenuous in my opinion

Yeah. I didn't say all violence. I kinda assumed that I was safe saying "the violence", considering we all know what violence they're protesting. You obviously do, but yet you feel the need to make a point of steering conversation away from the specific issue they're protesting.

You have your symbolism placed on the wrong things. Yes as a Veteran I was instilled with a deep respect for the Flag and anthem, but for for the country and the democracy they represent, which isn't really about the people whom died to make this country possible. The flag doesn't represent those who died, it represents what they died fighting for. I honor those who died, but the flag isn't a symbol of them.

The 1st amendment is the most sacred part of the American fabric, I respect these young men's right to exercise it. I may not agree with their choice, but I can certainly appreciate it and respect it.

• Fire 3

I see talk about disingenuous.

We know that it's ongoing injustice that causes these people to not stand for the flag. Don't agree that these are actual injustices? Fine. Don't like their method of expression? Fine.

But wield the banner of the brave men and women who fought and died for this country? Trying to invoke those heroes as a cudgel to bat down our present-day fellow Americans into docile status-quo acceptance? That's a big, steaming serving of disingenuousness.

• Fire 5

Lots of white people in this thread upset over how some black people bring attention to a problem in this country.

Black people being shot by cops is a small part of the greater picture, namely systemic racism against blacks. Deny it if you want, but white privilege is a thing. As a white person, I was pretty unaware of the problem because I was never a victim. I had to become educated. White people enjoy a lot of freedoms that most black people don't. Most things are very subtle, but the cumulative effect is huge. Ask yourself if you would want to be treated the same as black people in this country.

We should be proud of these young men for taking a stand for something they believe in. So before you decry them for being "unpatriotic" and "disrespectful", maybe try to learn a little about what they've experienced to get to this point.

Be careful: your logical, reasoned, informed and intelligent take won't be well received by some around here.

• Fire 4

Beautifully said. Thank you.

I see talk about disingenuous.We know that it's ongoing injustice that causes these people to not stand for the flag. Don't agree that these are actual injustices? Fine. Don't like their method of expression? Fine.But wield the banner of the brave men and women who fought and died for this country? Trying to invoke those heroes as a cudgel to bat down our present-day fellow Americans into docile status-quo acceptance? That's a big, steaming serving of disingenuousness.

What's disingenuous is the false dichotomy that those who see this as an affront to the country and its defenders are also trying to "bat down our present-day fellow Americans into docile status-quo acceptance".

There's literally nothing more American than protesting injustice. Every point we like to talk about in American history stands on someone willing to take a stand against the status quo. Our country wouldn't exist without the colonists being "classless, tasteless, and disrespectful" towards the flag of Great Britain. The very spirit of that flag is built on revolution, civil disobedience, and the refusal to live under tyranny.

Protesters riot: These people need to learn how to protest peacefully!! There has to be a better way!!

Protesters sit out during playing of national anthem: This is outrageous! There has to be a better way!!

Protesters sit in at whites only restaurant: I'm outraged that they could be so inconsiderate of people on their lunch hour!! There has to be a better way!

Protesters raise a black fisted glove on medal podium at Olympics: The games are about unity, stop trying to divide us!! There has to be a better way!!

Protesters march during rush hour stopping traffic: Gah! Why do they have to do it this way? I'm on my way to work!! There has to be a better way!!

Protesters put hands up in solidarity before St. Louis Rams game: Ugh! Inappropriate! Shut up and play the game!! There has to be a better way!!

Protesters wear t-shirts that read "I can't breathe," before a sporting event: This isn't the platform for that, respect the game. There has to be a better way!!

Protesters make passionate speech on BET: That's reverse racism. All lives matter! There has to be a better way!!

Protesters disrupt political rally: ugh! We're not here to see you speak!

Look, at a certain point, people are going to need to admit to themselves that they're not upset about how black people are protesting, they are upset that black people are protesting period

• Fire 3