Mark Philipp S/C

Warrior10

Maybe there has been mention of this and I missed it, I apologize if that's the case.

But hats off to our S/C crew, we continue to dominate teams in the 4th. Other teams are seeming to wear down and we just keep going.

I agree with this, I wonder how well we do against the better teams on our schedule- Iowa, Minnesota, Ohio State and Wisconsin. So far hats off to him for having these guys well conditioned. People like to blame S and C for the team injuries, but those happen because it is football. Many factors can go into injuries too, so blaming S and C is just what people point to when injuries mount up. I have't seen that this year though, and its probably due to us being 4-0, it will be fun to see how we do in fourth quarters against the big boys.

Edit- I gave Purdue their due I guess, meant Minnesota as a big boy team not Purdue

• Fire 2

Pretty impressive statistic shown last night that through 3 games, NU has scored the most points. IMO, shows that at least in that small sample, we are in better shape. Of course it could also mean that we have more depth and there is not as much of a drop off between our 1's and 2's in some spots. IMO, it does appear that so far, we "look better" at the end of the game than we have in past seasons. Guys look more like football players as well. I think that MP and technology are big reasons why.

I agree Mark Phillip has made the big difference but I'd like to give Boyd Epley an assist. Boyd identified the problems from the past regime in the weight / conditioning by testing all of the athletes according to his specs. He blew the whistle on the sloppy shortcut habits that had been developed and got some push back for de-emphasizing the 'new' records that had been set. Boyd was also on record as saying it was going to take a year to get the department back on track - now we are finally seeing some results under Phillip's leadership.

• Fire 3

I agree Mark Phillip has made the big difference but I'd like to give Boyd Epley an assist. Boyd identified the problems from the past regime in the weight / conditioning by testing all of the athletes according to his specs. He blew the whistle on the sloppy shortcut habits that had been developed and got some push back for de-emphasizing the 'new' records that had been set. Boyd was also on record as saying it was going to take a year to get the department back on track - now we are finally seeing some results under Phillip's leadership.

Good point about Boyd.

Good point, OP. +1

Another thing is that you always see Philipp on the sideline helping out during games. Were other S&C coaches on the sideline during games? They probly were, it's that they weren't as noticeable as Philipp.

Good point, OP. +1

Another thing is that you always see Philipp on the sideline helping out during games. Were other S&C coaches on the sideline during games? They probly were, it's that they weren't as noticeable as Philipp.

yeah, the dude is hard to miss.
I'm pretty sure our last S&C coach was also the get back coach on gamedays. I think that's a pretty common thing, but Phillips is also very active in warmups. He calls the cadence for stretches and gets everyone jacked up before and during drills with his demeanor. I was really impressed with him when I attended the Oregon and NW games.

Something else I've noticed this year; I'm not sure if it's S&C or just better coaching, but guys are really getting off blocks well to make tackles. And when the ball carrier is too close to shed a block they do an excellent job of tackling through their blocker. I've been extremely impressed with it this year!

Sam McKewon was on TBL today, and made a good comment about Nebraska just having physical superiority against 3 of the 4 opponents so far. That superiority is not only S&C, but simply having better players and more of them, and that enables Nebraska to take control of those games in the 2nd half. He notes that last season, Riley and his staff struggled to do that. They didn't appreciate the pure physical advantage (through recruiting and talent) that NU is going to have over a number of opponents. The coaches were too caught up in the scheme and matchups. Sometimes, the coaches need to think "If we keep doing what we are doing for 4 quarters, eventually we are going to beat this team up", and that's what has happened.

I'm not trying to poo-poo what Phillip is doing with the S&C, because I think he is doing a great job. But, Nebraska is a program that should be able to recruit a far number of better players where they have a big talent advantage over half of the teams in conference and they should be able to enforce their will and get the win through 4 quarters of play.

• Fire 1