Cryo Recovery?

Mavric

Since it seems nobody is going to click on and read the articles I posted. Some tidbits from the actual scientific research:

There is insufficient evidence to determine whether whole-body cryotherapy (WBC) reduces self-reported muscle soreness, or improves subjective recovery, after exercise compared with passive rest or no WBC in physically active young adult males. There is no evidence on the use of this intervention in females or elite athletes. The lack of evidence on adverse events is important given that the exposure to extreme temperature presents a potential hazard.

Cryotherapy or icing, as currently practiced, will not likely be successful in cooling muscle sufficiently to have any significant influence on muscle repair regardless of the degree of injury. However, based on studies in animal models, it may be that if sufficient muscle cooling could be achieved in humans, it could actually delay recovery and increase muscle scarring following significant muscle damage.

There isn't any current research that shows this stuff works. The research is showing that icing injuries could be delaying recovery.

• Fire 1

Since it seems nobody is going to click on and read the articles I posted. Some tidbits from the actual scientific research:

There is insufficient evidence to determine whether whole-body cryotherapy (WBC) reduces self-reported muscle soreness, or improves subjective recovery, after exercise compared with passive rest or no WBC in physically active young adult males. There is no evidence on the use of this intervention in females or elite athletes. The lack of evidence on adverse events is important given that the exposure to extreme temperature presents a potential hazard.

Cryotherapy or icing, as currently practiced, will not likely be successful in cooling muscle sufficiently to have any significant influence on muscle repair regardless of the degree of injury. However, based on studies in animal models, it may be that if sufficient muscle cooling could be achieved in humans, it could actually delay recovery and increase muscle scarring following significant muscle damage.

There isn't any current research that shows this stuff works. The research is showing that icing injuries could be delaying recovery.

I think all people are different. Some person may respond well with this type of therapy, while others won't. I don't think the entire team is required or doing this type of therapy. It's something that Kieron sees some benefit from.

I think all people are different. Some person may respond well with this type of therapy, while others won't. I don't think the entire team is required or doing this type of therapy. It's something that Kieron sees some benefit from.

That's not a valid argument assuming the sample was random. Randomness takes those differences into account. (Didn't read the research so I dunno if it was random).

• Fire 1

That's not a valid argument assuming the sample was random. Randomness takes those differences into account. (Didn't read the research so I dunno if it was random).

Its not just one study, it quotes a few different meta-analyses.

2-3 minutes in cold air, a very poor conductor, is not likely having a significant effect on any tissues deeper than skin, and thus the CNS.

Cryotherapy in training, I would agree, is possibly reducing long term adaptation, which is increasingly believed to be reliant upon inflammatory markers. IOW, suppressing inflammation reduces the training effect of the exercise. However, in season, the goal is not to adapt to exercise, but to "feel better" and be ready to play again ASAP.

"Slowing recovery" is just as unlikely as "speeding recovery" in a tissue sense (both unlikely IMO though I have not reviewed the literature extensively), other than the effects to the CNS, and the belief of the individual receiving the "therapy". We, humans, are not robots. Our emotions and beliefs are likely one of the biggest factors in our performance.

Elite athletes do all sorts of weird crap (see US Olympic swimmers and their cupping "hickeys") and believe that it helps their performance. I am of the opinion that if they believe it helps, it probably does, the human mind is a very powerful thing, (though easily tricked and confused to believe all sorts of hooey.)

• Fire 1

"Recovery" is subjective. Are there objective tests for "recovery"? I can't think of any. It's sort of an amorphous term, based largely, IMO, on emotional/mental factors.

Cryotherapy, to reduce blood flow via vasoconstriction, for a defined injury, is a more measurable and objective entity.

Based on a very brief look, WBC only cools the skin, rather than the deeper tissues (muscles, tendon, ligament, etc.) which would be the more significant target of cryotherapy in its traditional form, ie ice packs applied to specific areas.

• Fire 1

Remember in Demolition Man when Simon Phoenix was subconsciously programmed to be be a martial arts and weapons expert while cryogenically frozen?

I mean, I'm just saying it's no coincidence K. Williams is suddenly one of the best safeties in college football.

Hats of to Epley for always being on the cutting edge.