Nebraska's Michael Rose-Ivey receives racial backlash for anthem protest

Does anybody posting or reading this thread realize that freedom of speech is not applicable in this discussion, at least as it relates to the first amendment? It states Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom of speech. It does not limit institutions from doing so. Just as the moderators on this forum are free to censor, move or ban posts, so would be the University or other related group be able to restrict speech on their premises if they chose to. Apparently, there are no restrictions and MRI did ask for permission and was granted it. He doesn't deserve such severe backlash as he has described receiving.

The only thing he violated was U.S. Code regarding the National Anthem that says you must stand at attention and hold your hand over your heart. Now, someone needs to tell me if US Code is punishable in any form. Maybe he, the coach and the rest of the team should be sentenced to community service and put it to rest until a clear policy is made.

Still waiting to hear how/where racism still exists in our country, GBRHouston.

Didn't I address that in a post already? Why are you aggressively gunning after me? All of my posts have been reasonable. Most of the responses I have gotten have been reasonable. You are the only person who has insulted me throughout this whole process.

The only thing he violated was U.S. Code regarding the National Anthem that says you must stand at attention and hold your hand over your heart. Now, someone needs to tell me if US Code is punishable in any form. Maybe he, the coach and the rest of the team should be sentenced to community service and put it to rest until a clear policy is made.

It says you should stand at attention, and the hand over heart bit gets violated by thousands in Memorial Stadium every weekend as well. Again, not disrespectful.

• Fire 2

Here is something I find sad: Throughout living my normal life today, I have overheard conversations about this exact same topic five times. One for it, the majority against. Throwing aside the side that people were on, because that doesn't matter in this post, this is consuming many people's lives, including mine. The people who are against it, like me, are truly saddened and angered by this. Anthem protests are NOT the best way to get the message across. No, I cannot think of a better way at the moment, but I can assure there are better ways that are less controversial. I get everything will be controversial, but some ways more than others.

This seems more like a fundamental misunderstanding of the nature and purpose of protesting than something bad on the part of the protesters.

Protests aren't supposed to be comfortable. They're supposed to be controversial. They're supposed to make you talk, and think, and make decisions. The more you talk and the more you think, the more your opinion will evolve.

For some people, that evolution will mean more acceptance - maybe not outright acceptance, but more than they had before. And that's an improvement.

For some people, they will not gain greater acceptance. That's either because the protest is flawed or the reasons behind it are wrong, or because they're just heard-hearted and won't budge. There are many reasons minds & hearts won't change.

But this constant complaint about disrespect or uncomfortable feelings... that's a non-starter. You're never going to get that, not from an effective protest.

The fourth line. That is what I have been trying to say this whole time. Racist people will continue to be racist. It may be a few more generations until the problem of racism is mostly erased. Future generations will learn from society how other races will be treated. People wanting an immediate change, though, it will not happen.

It says you should stand at attention, and the hand over heart bit gets violated by thousands in Memorial Stadium every weekend as well. Again, not disrespectful.

For me, the kneeling is another act of disrespect during the anthem. You go to any event and you see people talking, looking around, walking around, taking pictures etc..... It's all not showing proper courtesy IMO. No different than stopping and facing the music/flag during retreat. It's simply proper "flag" etiquette. And maybe the word disrespect should actually be " not rendering proper courtesy".

• Fire 1

Did you? If you did, I missed you talking about it.

Okay, I went looking for a post number, but I cannot seem to find it, so I will just restate it.

Racism is obviously occurring. However you think it is occurring, is how I think it is occurring. I get what racism is and why it is a problem. If you want me to elaborate I will.

Good point, but it was really meant as a tongue in cheek comment. Burning a flag violates a US code as does wearing a flag in any form as clothing but it has no punishment involved. (Hopefully I got that part right)

Does anybody posting or reading this thread realize that freedom of speech is not applicable in this discussion, at least as it relates to the first amendment? It states Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom of speech. It does not limit institutions from doing so. Just as the moderators on this forum are free to censor, move or ban posts, so would be the University or other related group be able to restrict speech on their premises if they chose to. Apparently, there are no restrictions and MRI did ask for permission and was granted it. He doesn't deserve such severe backlash as he has described receiving.

And prior to 1943, the flag code endorsed the salute preferred for recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance. The "flag salute" or "Bellamy salute" was very popular. So much so that it became widely used in Europe by several political organizations.

Students_pledging_allegiance_to_the_Amer

But we probably shouldn't question it or make any changes to it; this is the way it's always been... /s

• Fire 6

Here is something I find sad: Throughout living my normal life today, I have overheard conversations about this exact same topic five times. One for it, the majority against. Throwing aside the side that people were on, because that doesn't matter in this post, this is consuming many people's lives, including mine. The people who are against it, like me, are truly saddened and angered by this. Anthem protests are NOT the best way to get the message across. No, I cannot think of a better way at the moment, but I can assure there are better ways that are less controversial. I get everything will be controversial, but some ways more than others.

Maybe I should text during Grace before Thanksgiving dinner because I am protesting.

I don't find that sad at all.

And if your text (I don't know how that would accomplish whatever your goal is) got the attention of a large number of people who normally wouldn't listen to you, I'd say have at it. Although I'd say that's quite a bit worse than doing it during the national anthem. I just don't hold a symbol/song for a country as something sacred. When people say Grace they are either talking to God or think they are talking to God.

Seriously? Something as rude as that, and it is acceptable if it is in the form of protest? And I don't know about you, but I love the country I live in, and I find the anthem very sacred as well. Disrespecting it is wrong, protesting or not, much like the Grace metaphor I made up.

Maybe I should text during Grace before Thanksgiving dinner because I am protesting.

I don't find that sad at all.

And if your text (I don't know how that would accomplish whatever your goal is) got the attention of a large number of people who normally wouldn't listen to you, I'd say have at it. Although I'd say that's quite a bit worse than doing it during the national anthem. I just don't hold a symbol/song for a country as something sacred. When people say Grace they are either talking to God or think they are talking to God.

Seriously? Something as rude as that, and it is acceptable if it is in the form of protest? And I don't know about you, but I love the country I live in, and I find the anthem very sacred as well. Disrespecting it is wrong, protesting or not, much like the Grace metaphor I made up.

Dude, come on.

Go back and read a bit:

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/80485-nebraskas-michael-rose-ivey-receives-racial-backlash-for-anthem-protest/?view=findpost&p=1742308

Synopsis of the link above: I'm a combat veteran. I'm a patriot. I fought so people COULD protest how they see fit. I fought for people to have the right to protest in any way, shape or form. I even support people's right to burn the flag...yes, I'm a veteran...yes I know what the flag 'stands for'...but I also know that a flag isn't as important as the freedoms it represents just like a national anthem isn't as important as the freedoms it represents. So, I support everyone's ability to protest anything because that is true freedom and it is what I fought for.

In other words...if you don't like the constitution, you try to decide for other people how, when, where, and why they are protesting.

Thank you for your service- I meant to respond to your earlier post but never got to it.

I was not using fallen soldiers as emotional stimulation, I was making a point.

I completely get that kneeling during the anthem is legal. I completely get than protesting non-violently is legal. And just because you see it that way, doesn't mean that the entire world does. Before Kaep began doing this, sitting during the anthem was socially frowned upon. Why? Because you are supposed to honor your country. I'm sure you get that, as a veteran. In my previous post, I was questioning why it suddenly becomes acceptable because it is a form of protest.

A note to everyone: I am not trying to disrespect anyone in any way, shape, or form, and if it comes across like that, I apologize.