Nebraska's Michael Rose-Ivey receives racial backlash for anthem protest

Maybe it's the people who are pissed off because of the protest that need to reassess their feelings and actions.

What actions do we need to reassess? We believe that protesting during the anthem is bad, and that there are certainly better alternatives that inconvenience less of the population. That is that.

That part of the statement is interesting.

How did their protest inconvenience anyone? Maybe the question should be.....how did their protest inconvenience you personally?

How have multiple instances of people killing, attacking, threatening and/or not complying with police officers impacted MRI personally?

If you feel like your culture is being destroyed in front of you eyes. The questions should be the same.

To the second statement - 3 people out of ~90k kneeling for the national anthem in silent prayer is how you define "culture destruction"? Even if that was 3 out of ~150 people on sidelines, that's a pretty excessive response. I would ask you to maybe re-evaluate if this is reasonable if I could...

The first statement has been pretty well covered in this thread but sounds like you refuse to accept the answers.

If you think this is over and is going to stop with 3 people at Memorial Stadium, you're kidding yourself. The precedent has been set and if you don't agree with it you're filled with hate and/or a racist.

It continuing to spread is not "culture destruction". Protests during the USA National Anthem are nothing new. They've been around for at least 50 years. It is asinine you think what these players did is more disrespectful than all the people talking, texting, not removing their caps, etc. But yet these football players kneeling in silent prayer during the anthem is destroying your culture.

Do you and David Duke share the same culture & cultural values? Serious question since you are throwing out the hate & racist cards...

EDIT: Your post is meant as a joke, yes?

• Fire 1

There seems to be a lot of confusion about institutional racism vs. structural racism. There seems to be an argument that protesting during the anthem is not proper because the US Government (for which it's being assumed the flag is a symbol) is not enacting racist practices. While the government isn't taking part in any overt institutional racism (a.k.a. segregation laws) there is a case, as Landlord points out, that the government has taken part in structural racism, which is where a policy by a governing body substantially effects one group over another.

Another example of this would be the Vietnam War draft boards, which were preferential to educated, wealthy (almost solely white) young men, while those without an opportunity of an education were drafted first. The government wasn't saying "Let's send the poor black kids first" (which would've been institutional racism) but what their policy ended up doing was sending the poor black kids to war first.

I would also like to make the admission that I judge people by their appearances all the time. I try not to let a stranger's race, their clothing, their socioeconomic status, effect how I treat them or think of them, but I would be lying if I said that this didn't effect my thinking. (The goal is to recognize these biases so one can consciously not act on them.) I'd venture to say that anyone who says this is not the case for themselves is naive, and being indignant about the idea that minorities do not suffer as a result of that judgement seems to be where a lot of backlash from this protest is coming from.

I just don't think saying "I'm not racist and none of my friends are racist and the government isn't doing anything racist, also these kids are overreacting" is not made better if you add "...but yeah, racism is a thing. I hope it goes away some day tho."

well said. if you think about how that draft board issue most likely would have seemed good at first, and people only saw its effects thereafter, it should make you wonder how many more laws, policies, and customs exist today with the same repercussions and "unintended" consequences.

That's part of what's being protested.

Maybe it's the people who are pissed off because of the protest that need to reassess their feelings and actions.

What actions do we need to reassess? We believe that protesting during the anthem is bad, and that there are certainly better alternatives that inconvenience less of the population. That is that.

How did their protest inconvenience anyone? Maybe the question should be.....how did their protest inconvenience you personally?

How have multiple instances of people killing, attacking, threatening and/or not complying with police officers impacted MRI personally?

If you feel like your culture is being destroyed in front of you eyes. The questions should be the same.

To the second statement - 3 people out of ~90k kneeling for the national anthem in silent prayer is how you define "culture destruction"? Even if that was 3 out of ~150 people on sidelines, that's a pretty excessive response. I would ask you to maybe re-evaluate if this is reasonable if I could...

The first statement has been pretty well covered in this thread but sounds like you refuse to accept the answers.

If you think this is over and is going to stop with 3 people at Memorial Stadium, you're kidding yourself. The precedent has been set and if you don't agree with it you're filled with hate and/or a racist.

It continuing to spread is not "culture destruction". Protests during the USA National Anthem are nothing new. They've been around for at least 50 years. It is asinine you think what these players did is more disrespectful than all the people talking, texting, not removing their caps, etc. But yet these football players kneeling in silent prayer during the anthem is destroying your culture.

Do you and David Duke share the same culture & cultural values? Serious question since you are throwing out the hate & racist cards...

Why is not ok for people to find MRI's actions disrespectful?

You don't have to agree that they are disrespectful, but surely you'd agree that it ok for someone to feel that way?

What was the regents stance on Ron Brown's thing a few years back?

Without looking it up, I believe it was "you can have whatever opinion you want as a private citizen, just don't sign your letters 'Ron Brown, 1 Memorial Stadium Dr.'"

So, playing devil's advocate, is that any different than having the players do what they did in uniform?

I don't have a problem with it, but they either allow it, or don't.

/shrug

You don't have to agree that they are disrespectful, but surely you'd agree that it ok for someone to feel that way?

I am not seeing where anybody is saying it's not OK to find the action disrespectful. I am simply responding to large bolded which is ridiculously over the top...

EDIT: Looks like the nesting is wonky. I am referring to your culture destruction comment & calling anyone that disagrees hateful & racist

Without looking it up, I believe it was "you can have whatever opinion you want as a private citizen, just don't sign your letters 'Ron Brown, 1 Memorial Stadium Dr.'"

So, playing devil's advocate, is that any different than having the players do what they did in uniform?

/shrug

Brown was an employee and possibly gave the impression he may have been speaking for NU as an employee rather than as a private citizen. Student-athletes are not considered employees & the players got prior approval anyway.

It's ok to find an act disrespectful. like you say, we don't have to agree there.

It's NOT ok to make it all about the actual act and ignore or focus less on the intent and reasons behind the act.

if someone does something disrespectful, like cut you off while driving with malice, that is probably a disrespectful act, at least for most people. but when you find out that person cut you off because there was an emergency vehicle on the way, or he was trying to make an evasive maneuver, at that point, the focus should shift from the cutting off to the actual reason why. continuing to dwell on the cutting off is kinda silly at that point, ESPECIALLY if the driver makes it clear (s)he wasn't trying to cut you off.

of course, all bets are off when the driver cuts you off for no reason, and doesn't even care that you were there to begin with.

And before anyone goes off the deep end, I have zero issues with the players protesting. It's an extremely complex issue that requires incredible empathy, understanding, and nuance. I wish it was as simple as just saying "be excellent to each other" but alas, it's not.

funny part of it is those three things are required on BOTH sides, and MRI has alluded to that time and time again.

/shrug

Brown was an employee and possibly gave the impression he may have been speaking for NU as an employee rather than as a private citizen. Student-athletes are not considered employees & the players got prior approval anyway.

This was my interpretation too.

I am not seeing where anybody is saying it's not OK to find the action disrespectful. I am simply responding to large bolded which is ridiculously over the top...

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that part.

I have never served in the Military and I don't even know a police officer, but one of the most powerful ceremonies that I have been a part of my entire life has been the national anthem. Watching a group of Apache Copters, a B-2 bomber, a group of parachutist and fireworks as the anthem is played has always been a source of American pride for me. You stand at attention (no phones, not talking, no hats) and you pay respect to those that sacrificed before you. For me, it is a part of my culture and I believe that something that I do consider sacred is being disrespected.

That is my opinion and no one has to agree with that. I'm of opinion, same as with Ron Brown (anti-gay), the representatives of the university should not be using the platform provided by that university for their social cause. If they choose not to participate in the anthem, then they should not do it in a public forum. I really would have far more respect if they trotted onto the field after the anthem.