Nebraska's Michael Rose-Ivey receives racial backlash for anthem protest

Should MRI expect his team sit with him? Should he be upset if they don't?

No. The rest of the team won't sit with him. Because they discussed this AS A TEAM. Those who the cause really speaks to will do their protest. Coach Riley also 'approved' this protest. There may be white people, or black people, or native people, or whoever, that this particular protest does not resonate with. They seem to understand the idea behind the protest and have backed it up in principle even if they do not feel the same.

So, the team supports the concept and vision behind the RIGHT to protest even if they do not feel moved enough by this particular issue to join the protest.

In the future, I suppose, others might protest separate issues and MRI and those involved in THIS protest may not join them but will stand behind their right to protest.

It really seems quite simple. Teammates are supporting each other even if they have no particular feelings about this or even if they disagree.

THAT is a team I want to support.

I think a big objective of their protest is to just get people to start talking about it and bring awareness too it. This very discussion is already a big step. Not everyone is going to agree, but it is in our minds now. MRI gets a face to face meeting with the governor and a chance to share his story with one of the most important people in the state. Nebraska is not a very diverse state and not many people get to hear the black perspective. You don't have to agree, but at least you are hearing their side. I think this protest has already achieved quite a bit.

Start talking about and bring awareness to what? That, like Kaepernick said, the flag represents a country that oppresses black people and people of color? Oppresses. Really?

Show me an American policy that puts Americans of any kind at a disadvantage, especially considering we've had a BLACK president for 8 years.

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/80485-nebraskas-michael-rose-ivey-receives-racial-backlash-for-anthem-protest/?view=findpost&p=1742318

Read my previous post and open your eyes.

I am writing in response to JEREMY and anyone else who feels the same way, that there is not currently a disadvantage for some Americans.

There clearly is, and I will explain why. This is in regards to my people, the Indians of Western Nebraska, both in regards to blacks and African-Americans which this thread is actually about. I just cannot leave well enough alone, I guess.

A (very small) history lesson: By treaty (law in other words), the US Government promised to take care of us as part of the repayment for stealing our land. However, they attached some conditions which also explain why it is so hard for Indians to leave the reservation and take advantage of 'the same opportunities' everyone enjoys.

There are no jobs on the reservation, no chance to advance. We rely on government aid, also stipulated by treaty. The most important aspect is probably health care. We Indians average an income of around 8k per year. And that might be generous.

HOWEVER, we are entitled to our health care. AS LONG AS we live on the reservation or WITHIN 30 MILES OF THE RESERVATION.

Since the reservation features 80% unemployment and no prospects, it would be smart for Indians to leave. BUT, to leave would be to lose all medical care. It is bad medical care but it is better than nothing.

There are no jobs, no chance to learn, only the opportunity to follow those poor souls before us for the last 150 years.

JEREMY: Do you think this is a disadvantage to ANY Americans?

This IS an AMERICAN policy and we most certainly ARE American citizens. Is there no disadvantage here?

I mean no offense in asking this, I am purely interested in your responses since it is something I am intimately familiar with.

See this link if you need proof and sources: https://www.ihs.gov/ihm/documents/index.cfm?module=dsp_ihm_pc_p2c4

$20 says you don't get a response, which is a shame because you provided a well thought out anecdote. It's truly disgusting what this country did to the Native Americans. I'm not typically a white-apologist, but good lord it's embarrassing.

I don't get why some people want Rose-Ivey to stick to football.

Some people want Rose-Ivey to stick to football when he is in a football uniform, with the football team, in a football stadium, during the football game. Any other time and place, nobody would care.

Barring that, then we are back to the hornet's nest analogy. If you kick a hornet's nest, the reaction and consequences are all out of proportion compared to the kick, but that's just how it is. Now he knows.

Maybe it's been addressed, but why should he have to tip toe around people like that? Maybe, using the hornets net analogy, we should take a flame thrower to those attitudes.

• Fire 1

This is a little late but man when I read the article about Hal Daub he said something in particular that I thought was so funny. He said something along the lines of "if these players want to protest they can go do it on their own dime"

The second I read that I literally laughed out loud! As if the players don't bring in the university millions of dollars yearly. All of his comments were asinine but that stuck out to me.

All those "leave politics out of sports" people, I'm sure these players are soooooo sorry to have ruined your entertainment by silently taking a knee before the game, they know it takes away all the fun of it. (Sarcasm)

I had to delete Facebook off of my phone because I was tired of arguing with complete asshats that have never even been close to the issue. I thought people were a little more flexible in thought, a little dissapointed seeing I was wrong

• Fire 3

BTN tailgate had a clip of B1G coaches opinions on player protests. They did 5 coaches. HCMR, Dantonio, Harbaugh and Lovie were all on the same page. Who went hard core team does everything the same no matter what? Ferentz

Same guy that wants recruits to verbally commit and then promise not to look at other schools? Shocker.

• Fire 2

Why is that the people that disagree with this can't just mind their own business. All the negative feedback and the reason this is a national story is because of the few that had to fire back and respond. Wether you agree or disagree doesn't really matter. Just mind your own damn business.

• Fire 1