Nebraska's Michael Rose-Ivey receives racial backlash for anthem protest

and I'm proud of the fans.. Sure, its brought out some nuts but I've also seen a lot of positive fan reactions. Even if they're not sure of their personal stance on standing or not standing. I wonder if MRI fully understood the power of a football player in the state of Nebraska? It wouldn't be an effective protest if not for the controversy.

• Fire 1

Anyone listen to Husker network pregame radio? Find it oddly coincidental that they had Daub on there accepting a big donation from Sapp Bros on behalf of wounded warriors? With all thats gone on i just found the timing, andthe situation, rather strange.

Yeah, no way that's coincidence.

Anyone listen to Husker network pregame radio? Find it oddly coincidental that they had Daub on there accepting a big donation from Sapp Bros on behalf of wounded warriors? With all thats gone on i just found the timing, andthe situation, rather strange.

Yeah, no way that's coincidence.

well. At least theres 2 of us. I was mowin and listenin, thinking " is this really happening?" Not thats its a bad thing. Apparently Daub is on some relations committee for wounded warriors or somethin. So im not sayin its bad. Im not goin there. Just found really odd.

Long time lurker: I completely understand the right to protest. No issues here as long as freedom of speech goes both ways and that freedom of choice is just that freedom of choice, no matter what side of the fence you are on.

I just don't understand, and maybe someone can explain their thoughts but what is the endgame? Is it change of policy? Awareness? What I am saying is I think by doing this in uniform with the facts and reasons muddied for different angles, how can you ever stand up again? Wouldn't that seem hypocritical to fact that you have just taken on an ambassador role as to when oppression is happening and when it isn't.

That being said and on the lighter side, say someone "feels" as if oppression is happening for any number of reasons, will NU provide a forum/press conference for the most minuscule of feelings of being oppressed?

So hypothetically if "insert name" feels that his/her sandwich was dry and was not afforded the same sandwich as everyone else, and NU doesn't offer the same forum.. so NU doesn't care about this students "feelings" but only football players? I am being sarcastic but what I am saying is that it's a slippery slope. 2cents completed.

• Fire 4

Long time lurker: I completely understand the right to protest. No issues here as long as freedom of speech goes both ways and that freedom of choice is just that freedom of choice, no matter what side of the fence you are on.

I just don't understand, and maybe someone can explain their thoughts but what is the endgame? Is it change of policy? Awareness? What I am saying is I think by doing this in uniform with the facts and reasons muddied for different angles, how can you ever stand up again? Wouldn't that seem hypocritical to fact that you have just taken on an ambassador role as to when oppression is happening and when it isn't.

That being said and on the lighter side, say someone "feels" as if oppression is happening for any number of reasons, will NU provide a forum/press conference for the most minuscule of feelings of being oppressed?

So hypothetically if "insert name" feels that his/her sandwich was dry and was not afforded the same sandwich as everyone else, and NU doesn't offer the same forum.. so NU doesn't care about this students "feelings" but only football players? I am being sarcastic but what I am saying is that it's a slippery slope. 2cents completed.

I think you raise some valid questions and I particularly like endgame question. I know discrimination happens, I live in the South and I see it everyday. However, some is justified. There is not one person that could witness firsthand the awful things that black communities are doing to themselves and not be discriminatory. I would never allow my child to attend a school in these communities. I also live in a nice area and we have an increasing amount of black people moving in. That means they're of the same or similar socioeconomic status as we are so they earned they way here, just like us and no one in our community thinks they don't belong.

But when I start hearing about protesting the police, I become deaf. Not just deaf but obstinate towards the cause. The majority of police shootings that have been brought to the attention of the media world, are in my opinion, justified. Maybe the person isn't guilty but when the police say 'DO NOT MOVE" it does not mean runaway. It does not mean argue aggressively. It means DO NOT MOVE. Sometimes you are in the wrong place and the wrong time and it needs to be sorted out. There are thousands of interactions with the police across the country daily and the ones that can be sensationalized are broadcast. I feel manipulated.

It's a war cops and I cannot support any movement that is using police brutality as its cause. It just doesn't match up with what I see and my experiences.

I think you raise some valid questions and I particularly like endgame question. I know discrimination happens, I live in the South and I see it everyday. However, some is justified. There is not one person that could witness firsthand the awful things that black communities are doing to themselves and not be discriminatory. I would never allow my child to attend a school in these communities. I also live in a nice area and we have an increasing amount of black people moving in. That means they're of the same or similar socioeconomic status as we are so they earned they way here, just like us and no one in our community thinks they don't belong.

But when I start hearing about protesting the police, I become deaf. Not just deaf but obstinate towards the cause. The majority of police shootings that have been brought to the attention of the media world, are in my opinion, justified. Maybe the person isn't guilty but when the police say 'DO NOT MOVE" it does not mean runaway. It does not mean argue aggressively. It means DO NOT MOVE. Sometimes you are in the wrong place and the wrong time and it needs to be sorted out. There are thousands of interactions with the police across the country daily and the ones that can be sensationalized are broadcast. I feel manipulated.

It's a war cops and I cannot support any movement that is using police brutality as its cause. It just doesn't match up with what I see and my experiences.

Shooting someone for walking or even running away is not justified.

Ok... there were multiple questions within my post. Well then let's remove sarcasm from my post (for your sake). Now please explain the "pretty fine" portion of your post and how it relates to mine. Thanks

First, the end game is progress and awareness. Even if MRI never kneels again he will have accomplished this in his own small context, and will not be a hypocrite for stopping.

Second, the University would care and give time and due diligence in listening to anyone with real perceived slights or injustices.