Nebraska's Michael Rose-Ivey receives racial backlash for anthem protest

If the protest was to raise awareness and create a path to better understanding, it has been 100% successful so far.

Or from another perspective, the division was already there, but some people didn't want to talk about it. Which isn't such a great alternative.

I agree if the endstate is awareness, yep for sure Nebraska is now aware, but at what cost? Could this have been a better following if it wasn't against the flag, in uniform, as a guest to another school? I would say that is a better possibility. I guess to get my point across if I was protesting, I would try to sell a unifying idea that everyone can get behind and leave no assumptions with my actions.

At what cost? What cost is acceptable? It has, seemingly, not affected the team so far. Among the fans MRI has opened a discussion that extends far beyond Nebraska. It has been mostly a thoughtful discussion with only a bit of extreme negativity from all the various sides. In fact, this may have helped unify the team even more and illustrated some key differences between the players among each other and with the coaches. In a positive way.

Nebraska, the school, has received nearly universal acclaim, from what I can see, for how this was handled. A very different response to Missouri or other schools with protests of this type. It was great to learn that this very subject was explicitly covered in the school's policies from 50 years ago. Probably related to the Civil Rights Era. Good job, Nebraska!

The only cost I can see, so far, is that a couple angry old-school guys like Daub got themselves in a titter. He reminds me, as does the governor, a bit of my late dad in law, a closet racist who claimed to be accepting of everyone but really was not. In private he would let fly with all sorts of things to the point I disinvited him from my home until he could control his voice. I am certain his inner monologue never changed. But he always said, "Well, you're an Indian. It's not the same." He just didn't get it.

I see nothing but positives so far. And I am proud of MRI, the team that came together for this, and the responses of most Nebraskans.

• Fire 2

I would try to sell a unifying idea that everyone can get behind and leave no assumptions with my actions.

Give us your exact idea. What specific, very specific, action could you (or anyone) have taken that would have presented the same theme without causing dissent? I would be shocked if a universally unifying protest is even possible. Is that even a protest? Isn't that just shouting into the echo chamber of like minds?

• Fire 1

If the protest was to raise awareness and create a path to better understanding, it has been 100% successful so far.

Or from another perspective, the division was already there, but some people didn't want to talk about it. Which isn't such a great alternative.

I agree if the endstate is awareness, yep for sure Nebraska is now aware, but at what cost? Could this have been a better following if it wasn't against the flag, in uniform, as a guest to another school? I would say that is a better possibility. I guess to get my point across if I was protesting, I would try to sell a unifying idea that everyone can get behind and leave no assumptions with my actions.

What has the cost been exactly? Talking?

I think doing something that gets the attention of EVERYONE while still mostly being supported and embraced is a way, way, way more effective means of protest that is supported 100% but gets the attention of 15% of a possible audience. In that case, what better way to do it than peacefully, prayerfully, and thoughtfully 'protesting' during the National Anthem?

Talking on twitter, writing a blog post, or speaking at an on campus event, for example, would have reached tiny tiny tiny fractions of the people that MRI's actual actions did.

• Fire 1

I would try to sell a unifying idea that everyone can get behind and leave no assumptions with my actions.

Give us your exact idea. What specific, very specific, action could you (or anyone) have taken that would have presented the same theme without causing dissent? I would be shocked if a universally unifying protest is even possible. Is that even a protest? Isn't that just shouting into the echo chamber of like minds?

So basically what your asking is how would I have done this DISCLAIMER: I am for MRI and the first amendment, that was never the issue. The issue was the platform and forum.

So we can say I would have approximately 6 weeks before my first opportunity to kneel given the timeline of Colin K.s first. I am a Nebraska football player so people do have respect for that.

I start off with a series of Tweets, because we know media will pick it up. In those tweets I express something to the effect of I understand why Kap has knelt and have thought of doing something similar. Just dangle the possibility. Media will pick it up

Then I move to interviews after practice where I basically say the same thing but add in "man, I really wish NU had something or someone I could talk to about this" "I would really like to be an ambassador or liaison to help educate Nebraskans".

For weeks I would continue this, reaching out to various media outlets and even law enforcement. Get the media to cover this. Seperate myself from the predictable action everyone is doing and talk about how you love this country because of opportunities. I do speeches at high schools. Appear on ESPN (there is always a feel good story on Gamedays). I request meetings with authority figures. Invite the paper. Take photos.

I don't kneel because that has the possibility of yes removing racists (which is fine) but I don't alienate those who are simply discourage at you showing possible disrespect for the flag. They should not be lumped in the same category. I request a meeting with congress to let them know I am serious and not someone who just follows.

Agree you won't get everyone but you won't loose those disgruntled about the flag stance.

If Michael Rose-Ivey had done everything you just outlined, the same people who want politics out of football not to mention the covert and overt racists would have been just as upset with MRI, and possibly moreso.

So your calling me racist. Isn't that the same line of thinking that MRI experience when he expressed his first amendment? Umm pot meet kettle.. so I'm a racist for wanting to hear all sides? And you know this for a fact that there would be a bigger outcry.. ok

If Michael Rose-Ivey had done everything you just outlined, the same people who want politics out of football not to mention the covert and overt racists would have been just as upset with MRI, and possibly moreso.

So your calling me racist. Isn't that the same line of thinking that MRI experience when he expressed his first amendment? Umm pot meet kettle.. so I'm a racist for wanting to hear all sides? And you know this for a fact that there would be a bigger outcry.. ok

I don't at all think he was referring to you as being racist. He's just disagreeing that the hypothetical scenario of actions you laid out would have been much different as far as the amount of people upset with it.

I don't at all think he was referring to you as being racist. He's just disagreeing that the hypothetical scenario of actions you laid out would have been much different as far as the amount of people upset with it.

Ok. If that is the case. That is his opinion, I respect that.

Joe, I think that it is obvious that you have not read any of the previous conversation in this thread. Most of the point you are making has already been made by others, multiple times, discussed, argued, debated, ad nauseum.

Not that you don't have the right to post your opinions, but if you are that interested, feel free to read the entire thread.

Joe, I think that it is obvious that you have not read any of the previous conversation in this thread. Most of the point you are making has already been made by others, multiple times, discussed, argued, debated, ad nauseum.

Not that you don't have the right to post your opinions, but if you are that interested, feel free to read the entire thread.

Honestly did not read the entire 18 pages. My apologizes but received questions on my original post so felt obligated to explain myself.

Honestly did not read the entire 18 pages. My apologizes but received questions on my original post so felt obligated to explain myself.

I realize that 18 pages is quite a lot of reading, and I guess that I shouldn't have suggested that you spend a few hours on it, but I think that you would get something out of at least skimming the topic.

There's a lot of good arguements on both sides.

I just want to know what issue someone is going to protest that would be supported by everyone. Isn't the general idea of a protest is an injustice against the minority by the majority. Maybe they should protest cancer, everyone could support that. This has been about as non disruptive as a protest can get.

Yep. In the words of Jesus, "Truly I tell you," he continued, "no prophet is accepted in his hometown."