Nebraska's Michael Rose-Ivey receives racial backlash for anthem protest

I'm pretty well-versed on Shelby Steele. He always brings up a few interesting points, then drowns them in his own strange brew of artificial victimhood. The holes in his argument are many.

The fact that the most vocal/visible activists use manipulative tactics to garner attention and influence doesn't eliminate the fact that the minority in question has a legitimate grievance, as dictated by America's founding documents themselves.

It's quite a stretch to declare that white guilt is the problem with America right now.

I'm not saying that, in fact I don't think the problem with America is even racial. I think the real problem is a disintegration of the family unit, and an over-abundance of self-interest in society, but that is another matter.

My point is that the goal of the "movement" that MRI and others take part in, or their proposed solution, is a monetary one, that awards blacks for no other reason than their skin color. It also seeks power by discrediting the moral authority of white people, and demanding affirmative action measures. All measures ignore past reparations, and their consequences. I do appreciate the social capital the movement has generated, the unity of a culture for a cause, but I regret that the cause is so...left-wing.

The methodology used in these anthem protests is white guilt. If they can subconsciously convince enough whites that they have a direct role in the suffering of black person X, they gain the political power to enact the solutions they want. And regrettably I think it is working. It is true, they have a right to protest, but the message is very strategic and manipulative and false.

Don't get me wrong, MRI is probably a great guy but I think his effort is misguided.

I'm pretty well-versed on Shelby Steele. He always brings up a few interesting points, then drowns them in his own strange brew of artificial victimhood. The holes in his argument are many.

The fact that the most vocal/visible activists use manipulative tactics to garner attention and influence doesn't eliminate the fact that the minority in question has a legitimate grievance, as dictated by America's founding documents themselves.

It's quite a stretch to declare that white guilt is the problem with America right now.

I'm not saying that, in fact I don't think the problem with America is even racial. I think the real problem is a disintegration of the family unit, and an over-abundance of self-interest in society, but that is another matter.

My point is that the goal of the "movement" that MRI and others take part in, or their proposed solution, is a monetary one, that awards blacks for no other reason than their skin color. It also seeks power by discrediting the moral authority of white people, and demanding affirmative action measures. All measures ignore past reparations, and their consequences. I do appreciate the social capital the movement has generated, the unity of a culture for a cause, but I regret that the cause is so...left-wing.

The methodology used in these anthem protests is white guilt. If they can subconsciously convince enough whites that they have a direct role in the suffering of black person X, they gain the political power to enact the solutions they want. And regrettably I think it is working. It is true, they have a right to protest, but the message is very strategic and manipulative and false.

Don't get me wrong, MRI is probably a great guy but I think his effort is misguided.

Well I'd hoped you reflect more on my second sentence:

You're suggesting the solution they want is reparations. Massive reparations dating back to slavery. Some do. They're not gonna get it. We all know that. Even Shelby Steele knows that.

I think the solution most are looking for is to not get shot in the back by police. And to not have white people keep acting like this -- and a litany of everyday racial inequities -- isn't a problem.

I really hope you try to step out of the Leftwing Marxist mindset, maybe delete the BLM "movement" all-together, and trust that millions of people who don't fit either category are in no way being strategic, manipulative or false in their actions and motives.

Not reading or commenting any more, just posting this FYI:

"Outrage over Pennsylvania high school cheerleaders’ decisions to protest the National Anthem during a visit from military veterans forced the school to alter its homecoming game plans.

Cornell School District Superintendent Aaron Thomas told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on Thursday that Friday night’s game against Shenango would be played in the afternoon and only be attended by players’ parents."

The local Veterans and Foreign Wars post provided a color guard at a Sept. 30 game. An online video of the cheerleaders’ protest at the game sparked outrage and fears of protests at Friday’s game. Some people accused Thomas of inviting and embarrassing the VFW even though he knew of plans for the protest, which saw most cheerleaders kneel during the anthem.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/10/14/cheerleaders-protest-alters-homecoming-football-game-for-pennsylvania-high-school.html

I'm not saying that, in fact I don't think the problem with America is even racial.

There are lots of problems with America. But to claim racism isn't one of them is just ignorant.

I think the real problem is a disintegration of the family unit, and an over-abundance of self-interest in society, but that is another matter.

And why is that a problem? Money. Poor people have to work several jobs to make ends meet. To be middle class, both parents are working. Everyone is struggling to make ends meet and families suffer.

My point is that the goal of the "movement" that MRI and others take part in, or their proposed solution, is a monetary one, that awards blacks for no other reason than their skin color.

Uh, no. One group mentioned reparations (not BLM), but for the most part, these demonstrations are about getting better treatment for minorities.

It also seeks power by discrediting the moral authority of white people,

WTF?

and demanding affirmative action measures.

You're going to have to cite this one.

All measures ignore past reparations, and their consequences. I do appreciate the social capital the movement has generated, the unity of a culture for a cause, but I regret that the cause is so...left-wing.

Left-wing? Conservatives are pushing sofar to the right, that even moderate positions seem left-wing to them. Go back and look at some of Reagan's and Bush Sr.'s speeches. If you showed a transcript to Breitbart or Fox News, they'd lose their minds.

Whites should feel guilty. Maybe not because of their actions, but because if their inactions. White America has a much different experience than the America experienced by minorities. Threre's no incentive to fix things because everything s hunky-dory as far as whites are concerned. We need to give up some of the things we take for granted to help the less fortunate come up to our level.

Of course you do. You don't think there even is a problem. He's brought a great deal of attention to the issue and made a lot of people aware. The problem is those who refuse to even examine the issue because of they don't like his form of protest. You cry and moan that he's being divisive, when there's already a huge divide. Maybe use some of your "white moral authority" and take the step of trying to learn about his side of this issue and not just dismiss it out of hand like the right-wing media tells you to.

The biggest problem in this country is the income gap between the very rich and the very poor. We need to invest in the inner cities to bring jobs and opportunity to poor people. And those poor people are disproportionately black. It's not a handout, it's a helping hand.

More unintended consequences from causing dissent and controversy where none need exist:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/10/19/texas-youth-football-teams-season-ends-early-after-national-anthem-protest.html

Texas youth football team's season ends early after National Anthem protest

"...Head coach Rah-Rah Barber claimed some of the players left not because they opposed the protest, but because they were upset the league suspended him. Barber claimed the organization initially supported him but later issued a suspension amid growing public pressure.

However, Anderson told the Enterprise that Barber singled out and pressured players who chose not to kneel at a Sept. 17 game."

That Fox News story is a gross misrepresentation of what happened.

Here's the real story, from two different sources:

http://thelab.bleacherreport.com/the-fight-of-their-lives/

In an email to B/R Mag on Sunday, more than a week after a reporter first reached out for comment, the Bulls board said it was “moving forward” from the protest.

“We [are] putting our focus on our kids,” Seterria Anderson, the board president, said in the email. “We are no longer doing any interviews at this time.” Later that day, Barber attended an “emergency meeting” with all seven board members. He was summoned to the meeting via text message several days earlier.

The board suspended the head coach for the rest of the season.

Barber said the board told him it felt he lost control of his team by allowing the parents to talk to media and the players to continue their protest. One board member, who was not in favor of his removal, according to Barber, told him it was the most controversial decision in the all-black organization's history.

Other members of the coaching staff, as well as players and parents, are furious.

“He really cares about these kids,” all of the coaches do, said Alfred Dean, an assistant coach for the senior team and six-year Army veteran who knelt alongside the boys. “What people don’t realize is that we’re not getting paid for this.”

Upon learning of the the head coach’s removal, Dean, whose son Larry plays on the team, told B/R Mag he was tendering his resignation. And his son is contemplating whether or not he wants to remain in the organization; several team members are, parents said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/king-young-football-team-season-canceled-knee-article-1.2833792

Determined to play a game of chicken with these young boys, the executive board decided that instead of reinstating the coaches and allowing the protests, they'd simply cancel the rest of the season — and that's exactly what they did, the parents say. The Beaumont Bulls, in spite of paying fees for a full season, and being in the league playoff race, had the rug pulled out from under them. No sports team in the country has faced this much opposition in response to Star Spangled Banner protests.

These young boys and their coaches are heroes. Millions of people all over the world have seen their photos and read about their demonstration. Colin Kaepernick himself proudly shared their story on social media and communicated to the team that he supported them.

That adults have now canceled their season, and denied these young boys a chance to fight on, is a travesty. It's gravely immature and short-sighted of team and league officials to allow it all to go down like this. What lessons does this teach the kids? What has it taught them about their right to protest? What has it taught them about quitting or playing through adversity?

Which brings me back to my original comment: What a tremendous overreaction to players taking a knee. Sad.

• Fire 5

Who decides that dissent has no need to exist?

Who decides that dissent is a better choice than actual problem solving?

So far, we have the NFL ratings trashed, a pee wee football team falling apart, 193 million posts for and against, one lone kid standing in Decatur Illinois for the anthem, an East Carolina band threatened within an inch of its life, and an apology from the International Police Chief's Organization during their luncheon buffet.

Yeah, that's worth the lack of real effort.

What a tremendous overreaction to players taking a knee

...and the coaches' reaction to players NOT taking a knee, which is even sadder.

Here's the quote about that:

According to April Parkerson, the parent of one player, the board of the league canceled the season over the protest. But according to Seterria Anderson, a member of the board and also a parent of a Bull, said the team disbanded after several players quit due to Coach Barber pressuring those who did not participate in the protest at the September 17th game. The board subsequently removed Barber from the team, for creating a “hostile mood.”

LINK

None of the other parents, none of the players, none of the reporters who covered the story for Bleacher Report or the NY Daily News corroborated Anderson's allegation. She's the one who suspended the coach, which prompted the other coach to resign, which prompted the kids to leave.

The only source that the coach suspended A PLAYER (not multiple playerS) for not taking a knee is the woman who ended the team's season. I'm not buying Anderson's story. Especially in the face of quotes supporting him directly, and players and parents leaving the team after his ouster.

• Fire 1

I'm not saying that, in fact I don't think the problem with America is even racial.

There are lots of problems with America. But to claim racism isn't one of them is just ignorant.

I think the real problem is a disintegration of the family unit, and an over-abundance of self-interest in society, but that is another matter.

And why is that a problem? Money. Poor people have to work several jobs to make ends meet. To be middle class, both parents are working. Everyone is struggling to make ends meet and families suffer.

My point is that the goal of the "movement" that MRI and others take part in, or their proposed solution, is a monetary one, that awards blacks for no other reason than their skin color.

Uh, no. One group mentioned reparations (not BLM), but for the most part, these demonstrations are about getting better treatment for minorities.

It also seeks power by discrediting the moral authority of white people,

WTF?

and demanding affirmative action measures.

You're going to have to cite this one.

All measures ignore past reparations, and their consequences. I do appreciate the social capital the movement has generated, the unity of a culture for a cause, but I regret that the cause is so...left-wing.

Left-wing? Conservatives are pushing sofar to the right, that even moderate positions seem left-wing to them. Go back and look at some of Reagan's and Bush Sr.'s speeches. If you showed a transcript to Breitbart or Fox News, they'd lose their minds.

Whites should feel guilty. Maybe not because of their actions, but because if their inactions. White America has a much different experience than the America experienced by minorities. Threre's no incentive to fix things because everything s hunky-dory as far as whites are concerned. We need to give up some of the things we take for granted to help the less fortunate come up to our level.

Of course you do. You don't think there even is a problem. He's brought a great deal of attention to the issue and made a lot of people aware. The problem is those who refuse to even examine the issue because of they don't like his form of protest. You cry and moan that he's being divisive, when there's already a huge divide. Maybe use some of your "white moral authority" and take the step of trying to learn about his side of this issue and not just dismiss it out of hand like the right-wing media tells you to.

The biggest problem in this country is the income gap between the very rich and the very poor. We need to invest in the inner cities to bring jobs and opportunity to poor people. And those poor people are disproportionately black. It's not a handout, it's a helping hand.
Exactly. Gotta do something to break the cycle. African Americans will help themselves out but we have to get them on a level playing field as white America for that to happen, otherwise it is exponentially more difficult to overcome the situation.