Nebraska's Michael Rose-Ivey receives racial backlash for anthem protest

There isn't any law enforcement reforming to do! Of all of the high profile cop shootings, maybe one or two have been racist at most, and the rest were more than likely with reason and the guy he shot happened to be black. And for many of the ones that are presumed to be racist, people love to assume the cop is automatically the bad guy, without listening to both sides.

I think you missed this article: http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/17/us/police-chiefs-group-minorities-apology/

"There have been times when law enforcement officers because of the laws enacted by federal, state and local governments have been the face of oppression to far too many of our fellow citizens.
In the past, the laws adopted by our society have required police officers to perform many unpalatable tasks, such as ensuring legalized discrimination or even denying the basic rights of citizenship to many of our fellow Americans," Cunningham said.

There isn't any law enforcement reforming to do! Of all of the high profile cop shootings, maybe one or two have been racist at most, and the rest were more than likely with reason and the guy he shot happened to be black. And for many of the ones that are presumed to be racist, people love to assume the cop is automatically the bad guy, without listening to both sides.

I think you missed this article: http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/17/us/police-chiefs-group-minorities-apology/

"There have been times when law enforcement officers because of the laws enacted by federal, state and local governments have been the face of oppression to far too many of our fellow citizens.
In the past, the laws adopted by our society have required police officers to perform many unpalatable tasks, such as ensuring legalized discrimination or even denying the basic rights of citizenship to many of our fellow Americans," Cunningham said.

When you're pressured by a growing majority, it's hard not to force an apology out of yourself. Hard to have people listening to you when those same people are pissed off at you for only mildly valid reasons.

The players who will not stand for the anthem should be benched. I don't agree with their methods. While they are in uniform and in the stadium, they represent the University, the State and fans. There should be no personal politics on the field.

The anthem honors the millions of Americans, past and present, including those soldiers who fought to stop slavery in the Civil War, stop dictators in other wars, Martin Luther King, and other good people. The kneeling is an insult to those people and does not accomplish much else other than discord- as is evidenced by the responses to this thread.

I don't buy into the helping hand to rebuild the inner cities. This nation has spent trillions over the past 50 years and we still have the same percentage of poor, the same run down inner cities and race relations are probably as bad as they have been since the 1960s. Those problems won't be solved on the football field by kneeling and insulting millions.

If these players think they have ideas, then call a press conference on their time in their civilian clothes and make specific proposals to the their representatives like adult citizens are supposed to do.

I +1'ed your post because I am sure that you will get a lot of hate for posting this. I 95% agree with what you are saying (The only thing I didn't agree with I struck out). Like I said in an earlier post, sure this is raising attention to the matter. Doesn't mean it's positive attention. Everything legislatively has been done, that's what MLK did. Changing society is impossible to force.
law enforcement reform isn't impossible to force

Well considering there have been 2000+ people killed by police in the last 2 years I would disagree with you.

I can't find the number of people unarmed but I can promise you the number is too high. Mentally ill people being killed by police. Unarmed African Americans do get killed at a higher rate than any other race, racial bias or not. These are facts and this is a problem

The players who will not stand for the anthem should be benched. I don't agree with their methods. While they are in uniform and in the stadium, they represent the University, the State and fans. There should be no personal politics on the field.

The anthem honors the millions of Americans, past and present, including those soldiers who fought to stop slavery in the Civil War, stop dictators in other wars, Martin Luther King, and other good people. The kneeling is an insult to those people and does not accomplish much else other than discord- as is evidenced by the responses to this thread.

I don't buy into the helping hand to rebuild the inner cities. This nation has spent trillions over the past 50 years and we still have the same percentage of poor, the same run down inner cities and race relations are probably as bad as they have been since the 1960s. Those problems won't be solved on the football field by kneeling and insulting millions.

If these players think they have ideas, then call a press conference on their time in their civilian clothes and make specific proposals to the their representatives like adult citizens are supposed to do.

I +1'ed your post because I am sure that you will get a lot of hate for posting this. I 95% agree with what you are saying (The only thing I didn't agree with I struck out). Like I said in an earlier post, sure this is raising attention to the matter. Doesn't mean it's positive attention. Everything legislatively has been done, that's what MLK did. Changing society is impossible to force.

Well considering there have been 2000+ people killed by police in the last 2 years I would disagree with you.

You are acting like all cops are complete monsters. Their job is to take care of the monsters, not be the monsters. Most do a good job of fulfilling that. >99% of killings are warranted. Believe it or not, if a danger is posed to the cop, they are supposed to shoot the person that is threatening them!

That's your opinion and you are entitled to it.

The anthem is for all Americans, not just veterans. Don't presume to speak on behalf of other people as to what the anthem represents. I think the majority of veterans (like myself) are fine with the protests. They are done with respect but they get the point across. If they sat down instead (and Kapernick has changed his stance here) or turned their back to the flag, that would be showing disrespect.

I don't buy into the helping hand to rebuild the inner cities.

Why would you? It doesn't affect you.

This nation has spent trillions over the past 50 years and we still have the same percentage of poor, the same run down inner cities and race relations are probably as bad as they have been since the 1960s.

Race relations are better, but the playing field stil isn't level.

Those problems won't be solved on the football field by kneeling and insulting millions.

No they won't, but by bringing attention to the issue, some good can come from it.

As for those insulted... they are the ones who don't think there is a problem and aren't affected. They need to be made aware of the problems in this country. This country isn't just for white, middle class people. We should strive to create opportunity for everyone, not just those born into good circumstances.

By taking a knee, these players have done far more than every poster in this thread combined to make this country a better place and they should be applauded and not ridiculed.

This protest isn't going to do anything for those who won't admit to there being a problem in this country. Their lives are fine, how can it be different for others? Instead of being upset with the protest, try to learn about why it's taking place and what minorities deal with on a daily basis.

You are acting like all cops are complete monsters. Their job is to take care of the monsters, not be the monsters. Most do a good job of fulfilling that. >99% of killings are warranted. Believe it or not, if a danger is posed to the cop, they are supposed to shoot the person that is threatening them!
I'm not saying cops are monsters I'm saying there is an issue and we can find a solution. There are better ways to police the American people in my opinion and I believe that we can administer changes that result in less deaths for civilians and police. Police killing civilians takes away the civilians constitutional right to a fair trial, to justice. I think we should find a way to avoid police killing civilians at all costs. I don't think it's a police officer problem I think it's an institutional problem

The UK has had 55 police shootings resulting in death in the last 24 years. In the United States police shot and killed 59 people in the first 24 days of 2015. Argument over if other countries can do this so can we. We don't need to kill people to police them, period.

Uk 2016-2 deaths USA 2016-772 deaths

• Fire 2

Nobody is saying all cops are bad. We know the majority do a great job. But those who don't need to be held accountable. And use of deadly force is only warranted if the officer feels his life is in danger, not just if they feel threatened.

The UK has had 55 police shootings resulting in death in the last 24 years. In the United States police shot and killed 59 people in the first 24 days of 2015. Argument over if other countries can do this so can we. We don't need to kill people to police them, period.

One of the reasons we have so many police shootings is the police have to deal with so many armed criminals.

But that's a gun control issue and I'm not going to derail this conversation by talking about the gun problem.

When you're pressured by a growing majority, it's hard not to force an apology out of yourself.

Or maybe he realized what was going on and felt the need to apologize. Not everyone finds it hard to admit when they are wrong.

Hard to have people listening to you when those same people are pissed off at you for only mildly valid reasons.

Mildly valid? Way to minimize all those dead people who were unjustly killed by the police.

One of the reasons we have so many police shootings is the police have to deal with so many armed criminals.

Hey! I can agree with you on something!

Nobody is saying all cops are bad. We know the majority do a great job. But those who don't need to be held accountable.

Good. I can work with this. Certainly they get evaluated quite a bit during their time on the force, which would expose the ones who are not doing a great job. Certainly, the ones who are consistently doing stuff outside of what they should actually be doing ARE held accountable.

• Fire 1

But that's a gun control issue and I'm not going to derail this conversation by talking about the gun problem.

doesn't matter! We don't need to kill people, period. That's not how justice works in America. Also what about all of the unarmed and mentally ill being shot. I don't care if the criminals are armed, police should not be killing this many civilians and they need to let the justice system take care of sentencing instead of sentencing people in the street by killing them. I don't care about the circumstances at this point we have had far to many people of all races killed by police, that were causing no threat to police! Roughly 100 unarmed people have died since the start of 2015. That is a problem and if you can't see that you have a problem! Again why do we need to KILL PEOPLE to police them? I'm saying we don't.

It angers me when people act so nonchalantly about life. I don't care if these people have done bad things. Some have families and people they love very much. No one thinks about what's going on in this person's life. You just think "whoooo another bad guy down" but sometimes it's not always that simple. Sometimes it's not a bad guy, it could be a good guy by all other intents and purposes who had to do some bad things to get by. These are people's lives we are talking about and call me an idiot but I believe police should be preserving life at every turn. Not the polices job to give a criminal (or an innocent person in some cases) the death sentence. And the death sentence is deemed almost too horrible for society now. But we continue to accept that police kill a thousand people a year? I refuse to, there are better ways.

doesn't matter! We don't need to kill people, period. That's not how justice works in America. Also what about all of the unarmed and mentally ill being shot. I don't care if the criminals are armed, police should not be killing this many civilians and they need to let the justice system take care of sentencing instead of sentencing people in the street by killing them. I don't care about the circumstances at this point we have had far to many people of all races killed by police, that were causing no threat to police! Roughly 100 unarmed people have died since the start of 2015. That is a problem and if you can't see that you have a problem! Again why do we need to KILL PEOPLE to police them? I'm saying we don't.

It angers me when people act so nonchalantly about life. I don't care if these people have done bad things. Some have families and people they love very much. No one thinks about what's going on in this person's life. You just think "whoooo another bad guy down" but sometimes it's not always that simple. Sometimes it's not a bad guy, it could be a good guy by all other intents and purposes who had to do some bad things to get by. These are people's lives we are talking about and call me an idiot but I believe police should be preserving life at every turn. Not the polices job to give a criminal (or an innocent person in some cases) the death sentence. And the death sentence is deemed almost too horrible for society now. But we continue to accept that police kill a thousand people a year? I refuse to, there are better ways.

So the police should just let the armed man shoot them? It's not like cops kill all armed men, just the ones that should be threatening their life. Sure, sometimes it's paranoia. But a lot of times it's warranted.

So the police should just let the armed man shoot them? It's not like cops kill all armed men, just the ones that should be threatening their life. Sure, sometimes it's paranoia. But a lot of times it's warranted.
No, police should take down armed criminals with rubber bullets, tasers and dozens of other non lethal methods of incapacitation designed for police use. Take down the criminals and take them to jail I'm all for that but you can do it without killing them.

Giving police a license to kill creates alot of avoidable pain. 100 people who had no reason to be shot could have gone home to their families but now they are in a grave just since the start of 2015. I say we look to avoid these situations all together by not making them a possibility.

You have to be more forward thinking. You seem stuck in the now, as if the way it is now is the only way it can be done. People who innovate don't think this way. There are always ways to improve any system.