Nebraska's Michael Rose-Ivey receives racial backlash for anthem protest

If I combined half the hate I have gotten on this thread and said it out loud, I would be rightfully banned. Calling someone "not worth talking to on this matter" or "ignorant" is not a way to sway them to your side. It is a way to get them pissed off and hate your side even more. Everybody has opinions that not everybody will agree with, but can't we at least be a bit respectful while still disagreeing?

You aren't going to be swayed. You've said so earlier in this thread. The fact that you ignore evidence that refutes points you try to make proves that you are ignorant to what the protests are about and have no desire to learn.

And like Nebfanatic said, ignorance is merely a lack of knowledge. There are many topics I am ignorant about. But I don't go on message boards to try and have a discussion about those topics.

I made my first comment on page 3 because I hate anthem protests. I wasn't intending to get this into it. Simple as that.

Nobody is forcing you to post in this thread.

But when you do, you are taking part in a discussion. If you refuse to see the other side and refuse to learn about why they are protesting, you are going to get backlash.

I see the other side, and I don't like it. Either you are doing the same thing as me, or you are refusing to see my side yourself.
you seem very considerate of the circumstances that may cause a police officer to pull the trigger on a suspect. I can see that those circumstances can be very difficult and put alot of pressure on the officer.

You don't seem to be as considerate of the circumstances that drive a young African Americans to commit a crime. You don't consider the circumstances that cause these people to act erratic when they encounter police.

Every action has a motive and not all evil is created from evil intentions. In fact many sins have been committed with best intentions in mind. People don't just want to commit crime all of the time. There are reasons that cause this behave this way. When do we start treating criminals like humans beings with probably more struggles than the rest of us know.

You don't seem open to considering this side and that is the difference. I understand your side and I think we need to find a solution that helps both sides. You refuse to believe there is a problem to be dealt with at all.

I have alot more to say about this mostly concerning giving people actual second chances where we give people resources in prison and teach people to be better instead of training people to come back so prisons make $ but I don't want to get too off topic

If I combined half the hate I have gotten on this thread and said it out loud, I would be rightfully banned. Calling someone "not worth talking to on this matter" or "ignorant" is not a way to sway them to your side. It is a way to get them pissed off and hate your side even more. Everybody has opinions that not everybody will agree with, but can't we at least be a bit respectful while still disagreeing?

You aren't going to be swayed. You've said so earlier in this thread. The fact that you ignore evidence that refutes points you try to make proves that you are ignorant to what the protests are about and have no desire to learn.

And like Nebfanatic said, ignorance is merely a lack of knowledge. There are many topics I am ignorant about. But I don't go on message boards to try and have a discussion about those topics.

I made my first comment on page 3 because I hate anthem protests. I wasn't intending to get this into it. Simple as that.

But when you do, you are taking part in a discussion. If you refuse to see the other side and refuse to learn about why they are protesting, you are going to get backlash.

I see the other side, and I don't like it. Either you are doing the same thing as me, or you are refusing to see my side yourself.
you seem very considerate of the circumstances that may cause a police officer to pull the trigger on a suspect. I can see that those circumstances can be very difficult and put alot of pressure on the officer.

You don't seem to be as considerate of the circumstances that drive a young African Americans to commit a crime. You don't consider the circumstances that cause these people to act erratic when they encounter police.

Every action has a motive and not all evil is created from evil intentions. In fact many sins have been committed with best intentions in mind. People don't just want to commit crime all of the time. There are reasons that cause this behave this way. When do we start treating criminals like humans beings with probably more struggles than the rest of us know.

You don't seem open to considering this side and that is the difference. I understand your side and I think we need to find a solution that helps both sides. You refuse to believe there is a problem to be dealt with at all.

So you're saying that because they had a bad past, it's okay for them to commit a crime? I'm sorry that I fail to see how that's acceptable.

So you're saying that because they had a bad past, it's okay for them to commit a crime? I'm sorry that I fail to see how that's acceptable.
I'm saying sometimes people feel like they don't have a choice due to the vicious cycle going on. Im saying you are forgiving officers mistakeso because of circumstances but your refuse to do the same for other people. I'm not saying committing crime is ok, but I am saying circumstances given to alot of individuals drive them to crime because MOST people are products of their environment and become what's around them. To be a great person and follow your vision to its completion is very very rare. Most people see what's around them and may hate it but eventually through repetition they become numb and start doing the things they despise. When the people doing crime are the only ones getting ahead in your neighborhood, it becomes a serious temptation.

Im suggesting we treat criminals like they are human and try helping them to become better instead of treating them like they are nothing. Because doing that we ensure they do not get better and they go out there and do the same thing. Instead of just condemning them we try and understand them, see where they went wrong and try and help them correct it. People won't give a sh#t about the law until the law gives a sh#t about them.

You refuse to see the other side. I, along with several other posters, have tried to show you the other side and you refuse to read links, or listen to anything that doesn't align with your view.

I've seen your side. It's the side of intolerance and hate. And I can't be swayed to that side.

You refuse to see the other side. I, along with several other posters, have tried to show you the other side and you refuse to read links, or listen to anything that doesn't align with your view.

I've seen your side. It's the side of intolerance and hate. And I can't be swayed to that side.

I have seen the links, and I still don't agree. My side is also not a side of intolerance and hate. I do not hate anyone on the other side. I just disagree. My side is simply the fact that I do not like protesting the anthem. Simple as that. Stop overthinking it.

I have seen the links, and I still don't agree. My side is also not a side of intolerance and hate. I do not hate anyone on the other side. I just disagree. My side is simply the fact that I do not like protesting the anthem. Simple as that. Stop overthinking it.

Ok. It's fine to not like the protest. I didn't like Kaepernick's at first, but came around on it.

Then you start talking about how the police do a fine job and nothing is wrong with the policing in this country, and continued to do so even when with evidence to the contrary. How you refuse to learn about the reason for the protests.

That's why you get labeled as intolerant. And you said in so many words that you hate the protests. There's your hate label.

I do not think anyone that is not on my side is a bad person, I just disagree with them. I wish the other side thought that about people on my side.

Don't worry so much about "your side or "the other side".

You be you.

If I were the only one who felt the way I do about this issue and was going up against 200 or so other posters, I'd stick with my convictions if I felt strong enough, but I would also reexamine things to see why I was the only one who felt the way I did. I stick by my convictions, but keep an open mind in case I have made a mistake.

Ah, GBRHouston, the great moral crusader of Huskerboard, wishing others would take the high road that he is on (and letting us know about it), and spending all his time talking about how he is trying to change the subject of what we are talking about back to the subject we should be talking about.

Oh praise him.

Whether you like it or not, whether you want to or not, by saying African-American poverty has nothing to do with racism -- among other things you've posted -- you create an impenetrable wall of intolerance.

Ah, GBRHouston, the great moral crusader of Huskerboard, wishing others would take the high road that he is on (and letting us know about it), and spending all his time talking about how he is trying to change the subject of what we are talking about back to the subject we should be talking about.

Oh praise him.

Ah, Landlord of Memorial Stadium, the sarcastic moral crusader of Huskerboard, knowing that I am by myself on here and trying to form constructive arguments when I keep being belittled, attacked, and sometimes have constructive arguments against me for having opinions different than the majority of people on this thread.

Oh praise him.

I do not think anyone that is not on my side is a bad person, I just disagree with them. I wish the other side thought that about people on my side.

Don't worry so much about "your side or "the other side".

You be you.

If I were the only one who felt the way I do about this issue and was going up against 200 or so other posters, I'd stick with my convictions if I felt strong enough, but I would also reexamine things to see why I was the only one who felt the way I did. I stick by my convictions, but keep an open mind in case I have made a mistake.

This is what I have been wanting to hear from everyone the past two pages. If everyone else was willing to put the knife down then I would too.

Whether you like it or not, whether you want to or not, by saying African-American poverty has nothing to do with racism -- among other things you've posted -- you create an impenetrable wall of intolerance.

Oops, I keep forgetting about the MultiQuote feature. Oh well.

That is not intolerance. Intolerance is having a flat out hatred for people different than yourself. I can like the black community while disliking what they are doing. I am getting more intolerance and hatred for my opinion than what I am projecting out.

That is not intolerance. Intolerance is having a flat out hatred for people different than yourself. I can like the black community while disliking what they are doing. I am getting more intolerance and hatred for my opinion than what I am projecting out.

Not liking "what [the black community] is doing" is intolerance if you make absolutely no serious effort to try to empathize with the background they are coming from and look into the "why." You and lots of others often write that kind of thing off like it's nothing, and then say things like "it's a cultural problem."

When you say Blacks' persecution 50 years ago has nothing to do with the situation, you show a complete lack of understanding of the sitiation. It is one of the biggest factors there is.

• Plus1 1

Not liking "what [the black community] is doing" is intolerance if you make absolutely no serious effort to try to empathize with the background they are coming from and look into the "why." You and lots of others often write that kind of thing off like it's nothing, and then say things like "it's a cultural problem."

When you say Blacks' persecution 50 years ago has nothing to do with the situation, you show a complete lack of understanding of the sitiation. It is one of the biggest factors there is.

That's not what we are focused on now, anyway. I may have been wrong about that, but not saying I was for sure. I am saying that I have a strong dislike for the way the protests happen, and that is what I would like to focus on, because we cannot force away what has happened in the past. We have to let it get better over time. Forcing doesn't work in most situations in life, so not sure why that would be different now.