Nebraska's Michael Rose-Ivey receives racial backlash for anthem protest

Hal just really needs to keep his mouth shut.

I think it's time Hal is no longer a Regent.

And....after reading all of his comments....I'm very serious about that.

I think Hal should be kicked off the board for not understanding basic freedoms and the academic mission.

The essence of the issue most people have, in my view, with the BLM protests and the national athem 'protests' if you want to call them that, is that the message being sent by these 'protesters' is that All whites are racists!

Not true. The message being sent is that all whites have benefitted from the systems of racism, while minorities have suffered. That's a very different message than, "You are a racist." and it's also unfortunately sad that so many of us can't admit to being fortunate to be given opportunities that others haven't because of their skin color.

A second message being sent is that being silent, being unconcerned, being in disagreement with the notion that whites have benefitted while minorities have suffered is to choose the side of oppression. That's a different conversation, but it's still hardly something that should be taken as a personal attack. It's a plea to listen and to see, to have compassion and empathy, to look out for each other.

So when some of the people leading a BLM protest chant "What do we want? Dead Cops! When do we want them? Now!" and "Pigs in a blanket, Fry em like bacon!" They're just good, concerned citizens letting people know that we lack compassion and empathy.

Please note, I used the word some,not all. It's probably best when talking about these issues not to lump everyone together.

BLM is very decentralized in the sense that any person or people can claim it while doing things not represented by the 'official' movement. As an actual organization, BLM hasn't and wouldn't ever spout rhetoric like this, and is consistently quick to condemn rogue people trying to hijack the movement for obviously hateful and misguided agendas.

The BLM movement is a Marxist organization that seeks to redistribute wealth under the guise that there is a moral debt owed.

Wow! Just wow. Your bias propaganda is showing.

there is no racial bias factoring into the way their neighborhoods are policed.

Except that there is! And the recent DOJ investigation have even labeled them as "rampant".

Well someone is back pedaling real fast...

If I were Daub I'd be rowing that boat away from the falls as hard as I could.

I'm guessing the LJS has that interview on tape, though.

You would think he would realize in today's age of technology and being able to get news at a moments notice he would have maybe put some thought into his comments. And yeah all rowing is gonna do is make him very tired before he goes over the fall...

Close minded folks like Mr. Daub aren't very good at realizing things.

You would think he would realize in today's age of technology and being able to get news at a moments notice he would have maybe put some thought into his comments. And yeah all rowing is gonna do is make him very tired before he goes over the fall...

Well this will make for a great life lesson for him

Well this will make for a great life lesson for him

...if he possessed the mental capacity to realize how idiotic his opinions are, but, based on his comments on the issue, I don't believe he does.

He also seems to be very reactionary based on public opinion (former Mayor). Initially he mentioned all the negative voicemail messages he got about the kneeling. Now he is backpedaling, and I'm willing to bet that its in response to more "negative feedback".

I'll insert my two cents, and I expect my opinion to not be popular and I will probably be quoted and argued with multiple times like I have in other forums before. I will respond to those in an understanding manner.

All sexes, races, and sexual orientations are politically equal now, and that is great- I am all for equality. I am also for freedom of speech, which is clearly what is being demonstrated here. However, freedom of speech seems to be getting misinterpreted by quite a lot of people in the country. Freedom of speech simply means that they cannot be arrested and convicted because of this. Freedom of speech does not mean that people cannot pass judgment on the people taking a knee during the anthem. While they have the freedom to take a knee, people against it have as much of a right to say they are against it. I do not believe anybody on either side has been arrested as of yet, but don't quote me on that. "Freedom of speech" seems to be the main argument of supporters, so I just figured I'd throw that in there.

I do not agree with racist backlash at kneelers and people who put their fists up, etc. However, I also do not agree with anthem protests, and that is for multiple reasons, those of which many people will not like.

• The first reason is because of the person who started it all. I did not like Kaepernick before this whole ordeal started. I would say more about him, but that will cause even more backlash at me and I would possibly get banned, so I will stop there.
  • The second reason is because cops are not cold blooded killers, and along with military veterans/family members of deceased service men and women, I think this ordeal insults cops in a way too. I am sure that no cop likes the way that cops as a whole are being generalized right now. Before the Ferguson incident, most, if not all, sane people thought of cops as heroes without capes, most of those who didn't were either in jail or were hoping they wouldn't get a knock on their door for a warrant. Nowadays, people are divided on what officers' main purpose is, and that sickens and saddens me. A few bad cops, who may have not been racist but just paranoid (I am not saying they weren't racist) have caused this mess. More than 99% of cops probably wish what has happened in the past 2 years hadn't happened, and the anthem protests do not help that
  • I do not agree with BLM. I will stop there unless somebody wants me to elaborate. Keep in mind I do agree with racial equality before yelling at me.
  • My last reason is the biggest reason why people are against it, are against it: It is disrespectful. The purpose of our country and our flag is much more than killing black people. Sure it was founded with slavery, but that same country abolished slavery. If they are being oppressed, then why do they have the freedom to take a knee? A few bad apples should not be the cause for senseless behavior.

Once again, I expect arguments to my post, and I may have left some stuff out here, but I assure you they will be included in the responses I make. I will never let an argument get heated, I will make my responses calm and collected

We are all on this forum for one thing,

GBR. :)

You hit the nail on the head. BLM is based on frustration from living in poverty. Poor people commit more violent crimes than wealthy people. Cops are aware of this, so they take extra precaution when dealing with those neighborhoods. The people living there understandably interpret that as the police, the government, the wealthy, and white people hating them. But that's not the case at all. BLM is an attempt to be treated fairly and equally, but what the movement fails to understand is that there is no racial bias factoring into the way their neighborhoods are policed.

I'd be curious to have a conversation with Michael Rose-Ivey. I'd ask him what he's trying to change. Does he want police to quit unfairly killing black people? Well, they aren't. Most of these infamous incidents are completely justified. One case that is an exception is the Eric Gardner murder. That was murder. But who says the cop had any racial intentions behind it? Like you said, he could have just been a paranoid, angry individual.

In fact, the racial statistics behind the deaths at the hands of police officers are in line with racial crime/arrest statistics. So to say that cops are more trigger happy with black criminals than they are with white criminals is disproved. So what would Michael say to that? My guess is he'd say that cops are unfairly targeting blacks for arrests now. Does he want cops to just leave them alone? Does he think that would end gang violence? Hey, if that's what BLM is asking for, then let's do it. Let's see how much they hate cops once they realize the cops aren't the source of violence within their communities.

GBRHouston... would you mind elaborating on your third bullet point?

Thank you for your support, glad somebody took a liking. :)

How you feel is exactly how I feel, you even said some stuff that I was not brave enough to say. What I am going to say next is not racist, it is true, and if anyone thinks it is racist, then get your priorities straight. There are naturally more black people in poorer settings than there are white people. I am not saying there are not white people in those communities, because there are. Therefore, black people will be more involved in crime and gang violence than white people, which is where the black on black shootings come from. And when he pulls a gun on an officer, the officer has to shoot him regardless of race. I believe there was an incident like that not too long ago, I forget where it was.

When I said I'd elaborate on the bullet point, I halfway meant that I would elaborate for someone who wanted to attack me, but I guess I can do it now. As I stated in a previous post, I feel like Black Lives Matter protests do more harm than good. What do I mean by that? Let's say ten years ago for example. Racism may have been a problem then, I did not pay attention. Nobody really payed attention, because there were bigger things to worry about in this country. Keep in mind, that 50-60 years ago, segregation was in place. That was when Black Lives Matter should have been around, and in a way it was. There were protests back then similar to what there is now. Difference? Black people really were oppressed back then. They were not politically equal like they were now, and the government was able to do something about that. Now they are politically equal, and that is a very good thing. Since then, we have been making steps in the right direction towards unity. That is, until the Ferguson incident. And my case for that is: How can we be sure we know the full story of the Ferguson incident? Maybe what we know is the full story. Maybe Michael Brown did threaten Officer Wilson's life. What caught everyone's attention, and what everyone is focused on, is that a white police officer killed a black teen. Back to my point, since BLM was created, the racial barrier has been dividing again, which is what we do not want. Had a black officer killed Michael Brown, or Officer Wilson killed a white teen, imagine how different things would be. I honestly think it is a coincidence it was a white officer killing a black teen. Anthem protests make it no better, either, that just divides us more and more, and makes this world more unpleasant to be in. Anthem protests are a bad way to try and help the cause, which may or may not even exist. They are almost insulting the country by not standing to honor the people who made freedom possible in the first place. Sure, people died for them to take that knee, but shouldn't they show respect for those people?

GBR.

Had a black officer killed Michael Brown, or Officer Wilson killed a white teen, imagine how different things would be. I honestly think it is a coincidence it was a white officer killing a black teen.

Things would be different because those situations would not have been a representational example of the racial bias/inequality that exists in Ferguson at the hands of the police:

Ferguson’s law enforcement practices are shaped by the City’s focus on revenue rather
than by public safety needs. This emphasis on revenue has compromised the institutional
character of Ferguson’s police department, contributing to a pattern of unconstitutional policing,
and has also shaped its municipal court, leading to procedures that raise due process concerns
and inflict unnecessary harm on members of the Ferguson community. Further, Ferguson’s
police and municipal court practices both reflect and exacerbate existing racial bias, including
racial stereotypes. Ferguson’s own data establish clear racial disparities that adversely impact
African Americans. The evidence shows that discriminatory intent is part of the reason for these
disparities. Over time, Ferguson’s police and municipal court practices have sown deep mistrust
between parts of the community and the police department, undermining law enforcement
legitimacy among African Americans in particular.

Had a black officer killed Michael Brown, or Officer Wilson killed a white teen, imagine how different things would be. I honestly think it is a coincidence it was a white officer killing a black teen.

Things would be different because those situations would not have been a representational example of the racial bias/inequality that exists in Ferguson at the hands of the police:

Ferguson’s law enforcement practices are shaped by the City’s focus on revenue rather
than by public safety needs. This emphasis on revenue has compromised the institutional
character of Ferguson’s police department, contributing to a pattern of unconstitutional policing,
and has also shaped its municipal court, leading to procedures that raise due process concerns
and inflict unnecessary harm on members of the Ferguson community. Further, Ferguson’s
police and municipal court practices both reflect and exacerbate existing racial bias, including
racial stereotypes. Ferguson’s own data establish clear racial disparities that adversely impact
African Americans. The evidence shows that discriminatory intent is part of the reason for these
disparities. Over time, Ferguson’s police and municipal court practices have sown deep mistrust
between parts of the community and the police department, undermining law enforcement

Okay, I won't argue with the DoJ. However, the police department has obviously worked on that and now likely knows the procedures on how all people should be treated. I'd expect that to be common knowledge, and protesting certainly won't help.

Okay, I won't argue with the DoJ. However, the police department has obviously worked on that and now likely knows the procedures on how all people should be treated. I'd expect that to be common knowledge, and protesting certainly won't help.

The police department's racism (unchanging) is what led to the protesting.

The protesting is the only reason the DoJ investigated.

The DoJ investigation is the only reason that a decent handful of people got fired, and that the city council agreed to let the DoJ reform the police department, through enacting bias-awareness training, an accountability system, changing municipal codes, etc.

Literally none of that would have happened without the protests.

• Fire 2

Fergusons law enforcement practices are shaped by the Citys focus on revenue rather

character of Fergusons police department, contributing to a pattern of unconstitutional policing,

and inflict unnecessary harm on members of the Ferguson community. Further, Fergusons

racial stereotypes. Fergusons own data establish clear racial disparities that adversely impact

disparities. Over time, Fergusons police and municipal court practices have sown deep mistrust

https://www.justice.gov/sites/default/files/opa/press-releases/attachments/2015/03/04/ferguson_police_department_report.pdf

Than how do you explain Charlotte?

Black cop kills armed suspect, city still riots.

• Fire 1

From the ESPN article, two University Regents who, at the very least, contradict themselves pretty plainly.

Pillen added, "I'm 100 percent behind supporting their critical thinking and taking a stand, and I would encourage them to put their money where it is now and be engaged -- but not by taking a knee."

Neither Daub nor Pillen suggested disciplinary action should be taken against the three players.

Daub said that, as a veteran who served in the Army in Korea from 1966-68, he was personally insulted by the anthem protest.

"They're taking advantage of their pretty privileged circumstances as athletes at the university and the scholarships they have," Daub said. "That's not to take away their free speech or their freedom to think and act, but not when they're in uniform."

These quotes are far more disgraceful and disrespectful than anything the three players did or said. And they're supposed to be the "educated adults."

Ugh.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17655037/two-regents-gov-pete-ricketts-criticize-nebraska-cornhuskers-kneeling

• Fire 3