Nebraska's Michael Rose-Ivey receives racial backlash for anthem protest

Than how do you explain Charlotte?

Black cop kills armed suspect, city still riots.

First of all, I'd like to see you actually respond to Ferguson specifically, since you make the claims and infer that systemic racial inequality isn't really a thing. I'll answer how I explain Charlotte, but how do you explain Ferguson?

As far as Charlotte, again, the individual person and individual act aren't what matter. What matters is what they represent to the community - namely, they represent a tangible representation of racial bias by and mistrust of their police officers. Minority communities are desperate for representation, which leads to them latching onto examples that don't actually work as perfect representations (Darren Wilson being cleared by the DOJ, for example), but the heart behind those protests has at least proven itself to be true in the cases of Ferguson and Baltimore.

Things would change, city officials in Charlotte vowed three years ago, after a white police officer shot and killed a black man seeking help after he was injured in a car accident. There would be new training and community outreach designed to prevent encounters from escalating into police gunfire.
But change has been slow to come to Charlotte and across the nation, since Jonathan Ferrell died in 2013. Last week, a black police officer shot and killed another black man, Keith Lamont Scott, triggering massive, sometimes violent protests. Police officials acknowledged that the officer had recently been trained on ways to de-escalate tense encounters with citizens, but he had not yet received mandatory training aimed at rooting out racial, gender and religious bias.
Protesters who thronged the streets of downtown Charlotte for five straight nights after Scott’s shooting said the lack of progress is palpable. Charlotte police, they say, continue to single out minorities and ignite rather than reduce tensions.
“I am here because nothing has been fixed,” White said. “I am here because nothing has changed since they killed Jonathan Ferrell.”

Okay, I won't argue with the DoJ. However, the police department has obviously worked on that and now likely knows the procedures on how all people should be treated. I'd expect that to be common knowledge, and protesting certainly won't help.

The police department's racism (unchanging) is what led to the protesting.

The protesting is the only reason the DoJ investigated.

The DoJ investigation is the only reason that a decent handful of people got fired, and that the city council agreed to let the DoJ reform the police department, through enacting bias-awareness training, an accountability system, changing municipal codes, etc.

Literally none of that would have happened without the protests.

The DOJ report was garbage. They had an agenda and all they could try and do was throw some crap together. It's no different than Mosley in Baltimore or Nifong in Durham. Mosley should be in jail.

The protesting has absolutely nothing to do with the DOJ report. People are still marching to "Hands up don't shoot" which was proven to be a false narrative by Holder and the rest of his law school professors.

• Fire 2

From the ESPN article, two University Regents who, at the very least, contradict themselves pretty plainly.

"They're taking advantage of their pretty privileged circumstances as athletes at the university and the scholarships they have," Daub said. "That's not to take away their free speech or their freedom to think and act, but not when they're in uniform."

These quotes are far more disgraceful and disrespectful than anything the three players did or said. And they're supposed to be the "educated adults."

Ugh.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17655037/two-regents-gov-pete-ricketts-criticize-nebraska-cornhuskers-kneeling

Uh, yeah...that's kind of the entire point. From MRI himself:

And even though I have endured hardships as a kid, and didn't grow up with the world in the palm of my hands, as a conscious being, I am able to recognize that there are people out there who are in a much worse position than I am. I find it very concerning how some of my fellow Americans cannot do the same when it comes to the issues we are talking about today.

I can say that with confidence, because even though I have done better, even though I am a college graduate, even though I am blessed and fortunate to play college football at the highest level and at one of the most prestigious schools in college football, even though I am a healthy being and even though I am fully conscious, I have still endured racism.

• Fire 1

Michael, DaiShon, and Mohamed, if nothing else, exposed certain people of power at this university to be less than reputable citizens with unequivocally ugly opinions.

It's unfortunate that we are being represented by some of those people at this school, but hopefully consequences will be coming for them. We'll be better for it.

It's not an attractive headline for us, in terms of national attention, but this is no time to hide. This is time for change. I applaud the three for acting on their beliefs with conviction.

• Fire 4

Okay, I won't argue with the DoJ. However, the police department has obviously worked on that and now likely knows the procedures on how all people should be treated. I'd expect that to be common knowledge, and protesting certainly won't help.

The DoJ investigation is the only reason that a decent handful of people got fired, and that the city council agreed to let the DoJ reform the police department, through enacting bias-awareness training, an accountability system, changing municipal codes, etc.

The DOJ report was garbage. They had an agenda and all they could try and do was throw some crap together. It's no different than Mosley in Baltimore or Nifong in Durham. Mosley should be in jail.

The protesting has absolutely nothing to do with the DOJ report. People are still marching to "Hands up don't shoot" which was proven to be a false narrative by Holder and the rest of his law school professors.

This^^^

Ahhhh, sarcasm. What I mean, is that without protests, the DoJ would have conducted the investigation, the appropriate action would have been taken, and that would have just turned into another bad event in American history. Basically, what I am saying is this: The protesting has gone too far. It is causing racist people to become more racist, protesters to become louder due to the increased racism, and overall chaos.

Holy cow.

These men had days to look at the positive example the coaches and other players on the team set under Mike Riley's leadership. That mantra of "RESPECT FROM DAY ONE".

What on earth compelled them to observe all of this and say, "What I really need right now to do is open my mouth and set this all on fire?"

A few idiots say idiotic things, and suddenly the entire fan base (all that red at Ryan Field wasn't from Nebraska) is racist? We don't even know if these people are from Nebraska. We just got good recruiting vibes because UNL's minority graduation rate is one of the highest in the nation.

Then we have people talking about reparations? What about the hundreds of thousands of whitey (fighting under the stars and stripes) that died in the Civil War to free the slaves? Guess their lives aren't enough.

What is the solution to all this? What will it take for everyone kneeling/sitting/laying down to stand with their hand on their heart while the national anthem is played? Until those things happen, whatever they may be, will these athletes continue to protest in this way?