Nebraska's Michael Rose-Ivey receives racial backlash for anthem protest

Than how do you explain Charlotte?

Black cop kills armed suspect, city still riots.

First the cops claim the suspect was armed. Now police chief now says video does not show gun. The contradictions and lack of transparency is part of what's driving the riots.

On the other side, I'm completely against the riots. There are peaceful ways of protest, as demonstrated by athletes across the country.

I just stopped watching the anthem for now since these protests are overly focused on. To think the entire thing(anthem protests) started with a qb who's career was going badly and suddenly he had a fro and remembered he's deep seeded African roots. I can guarantee that if not for he's career slump the guy would still be playing the game instead of being a poster boy for the misguided. This is a 20 something that ran out of places for tattoos so he took up another outlet to show how special he is. When I was a kid we might just have put on a leather jacket and some doc martens. To each he's own.

As far as the racist remarks, it's going to happen, granted it happens more in states with larger rural populations(some folks dont get out much). But it's about as representative of a state stereotype as the stereotype of every black guy being a criminal.

• Fire 1

First of all, I'd like to see you actually respond to Ferguson specifically, since you make the claims and infer that systemic racial inequality isn't really a thing. I'll answer how I explain Charlotte, but how do you explain Ferguson?

As far as Charlotte, again, the individual person and individual act aren't what matter. What matters is what they represent to the community - namely, they represent a tangible representation of racial bias by and mistrust of their police officers. Minority communities are desperate for representation, which leads to them latching onto examples that don't actually work as perfect representations (Darren Wilson being cleared by the DOJ, for example), but the heart behind those protests has at least proven itself to be true in the cases of Ferguson and Baltimore.

Things would change, city officials in Charlotte vowed three years ago, after a white police officer shot and killed a black man seeking help after he was injured in a car accident. There would be new training and community outreach designed to prevent encounters from escalating into police gunfire.

But change has been slow to come to Charlotte and across the nation, since Jonathan Ferrell died in 2013. Last week, a black police officer shot and killed another black man, Keith Lamont Scott, triggering massive, sometimes violent protests. Police officials acknowledged that the officer had recently been trained on ways to de-escalate tense encounters with citizens, but he had not yet received mandatory training aimed at rooting out racial, gender and religious bias.

Protesters who thronged the streets of downtown Charlotte for five straight nights after Scotts shooting said the lack of progress is palpable. Charlotte police, they say, continue to single out minorities and ignite rather than reduce tensions.

I am here because nothing has been fixed, White said. I am here because nothing has changed since they killed Jonathan Ferrell.

The Ferguson, Missouri shooting was a media frenzy building up a "hands up don't shoot" slogan which in the end was nothing but a lie. Do you remember what happened on the one year anniversary of Michael Brown? Well the community came together to remember Michael Brown which was peaceful but turned deadly when a shootout took place. The riots that started the day of the Brown shooting and on the one year anniversary just have the world a small glimpse of what those officers have to deal with on a daily basis and maybe just maybe what type of atmosphere that community really is. I bet the DoJ didn't include that in their findings

So the individual person and the act doesn't matter? I disagree. This whole BLM started with Trayvon Martin and the community was upset because there wasn't an arrest made due to the "stand your ground" law. It took what days or maybe a week or two until there was an arrest. In the end m, witnesses (some blacks), forensics, etc all pointed that Martin was on top beating up whatever the guys name was.

So the individual person (armed neighborhood watch) and the act (shoots an unarmed black kid) doesn't make a difference within the community for the Martin case?

So the individual person (ferguson officer who's armed and has authority) and the act (shoots and unarmed black male) doesn't impact that community? P.S the DoJ report came out 7 months after the shooting so the riots and protest which happened days and weeks after the shooting had nothing to do with the DoJ report

Cops don't just wake up and say "Hey, I think I'm going to kill a black kid today" or "I'm going to arrest a black kid today because f**k black people".

All of these hoody, hands up don't shoot, I can't breathe, kneeling during the anthem slogans/hashtags have all stemmed from the delusion that police are racially targeting blacks which in the end, majority of the shootings have been justified and the ones that haven't have been charged awaiting trial.

There is racism in America there is no denying that but racism in this country isn't only targeted at just one race and if you think differently than you're just being ignorant. Other than these shootings that have been plastered all over the news within the last 2-3 years, I don't see where cops are racially targeting blacks or where blacks are being oppressed.....for f**ks sake we have a black president who's going to be ending his second term within months.

• Fire 2

The entire thing didn't start because one unlikable NFL QB's career was going badly.

I don't see where cops are racially targeting blacks or where blacks are being oppressed

First, you're building up the grievances to a point where it becomes easy to think the only acceptable response is to bat it down.

Second, it can't be that hard to see, can it? Read about it. Ask.

• Fire 2

First of all, I'd like to see you actually respond to Ferguson specifically, since you make the claims and infer that systemic racial inequality isn't really a thing. I'll answer how I explain Charlotte, but how do you explain Ferguson?

As far as Charlotte, again, the individual person and individual act aren't what matter. What matters is what they represent to the community - namely, they represent a tangible representation of racial bias by and mistrust of their police officers. Minority communities are desperate for representation, which leads to them latching onto examples that don't actually work as perfect representations (Darren Wilson being cleared by the DOJ, for example), but the heart behind those protests has at least proven itself to be true in the cases of Ferguson and Baltimore.

Things would change, city officials in Charlotte vowed three years ago, after a white police officer shot and killed a black man seeking help after he was injured in a car accident. There would be new training and community outreach designed to prevent encounters from escalating into police gunfire.

But change has been slow to come to Charlotte and across the nation, since Jonathan Ferrell died in 2013. Last week, a black police officer shot and killed another black man, Keith Lamont Scott, triggering massive, sometimes violent protests. Police officials acknowledged that the officer had recently been trained on ways to de-escalate tense encounters with citizens, but he had not yet received mandatory training aimed at rooting out racial, gender and religious bias.

Protesters who thronged the streets of downtown Charlotte for five straight nights after Scotts shooting said the lack of progress is palpable. Charlotte police, they say, continue to single out minorities and ignite rather than reduce tensions.

I am here because nothing has been fixed, White said. I am here because nothing has changed since they killed Jonathan Ferrell.

The Ferguson, Missouri shooting was a media frenzy building up a "hands up don't shoot" slogan which in the end was nothing but a lie. Do you remember what happened on the one year anniversary of Michael Brown? Well the community came together to remember Michael Brown which was peaceful but turned deadly when a shootout took place. The riots that started the day of the Brown shooting and on the one year anniversary just have the world a small glimpse of what those officers have to deal with on a daily basis and maybe just maybe what type of atmosphere that community really is. I bet the DoJ didn't include that in their findings

So the individual person and the act doesn't matter? I disagree. This whole BLM started with Trayvon Martin and the community was upset because there wasn't an arrest made due to the "stand your ground" law. It took what days or maybe a week or two until there was an arrest. In the end m, witnesses (some blacks), forensics, etc all pointed that Martin was on top beating up whatever the guys name was.

So the individual person (armed neighborhood watch) and the act (shoots an unarmed black kid) doesn't make a difference within the community for the Martin case?

So the individual person (ferguson officer who's armed and has authority) and the act (shoots and unarmed black male) doesn't impact that community? P.S the DoJ report came out 7 months after the shooting so the riots and protest which happened days and weeks after the shooting had nothing to do with the DoJ report

Cops don't just wake up and say "Hey, I think I'm going to kill a black kid today" or "I'm going to arrest a black kid today because f**k black people".

All of these hoody, hands up don't shoot, I can't breathe, kneeling during the anthem slogans/hashtags have all stemmed from the delusion that police are racially targeting blacks which in the end, majority of the shootings have been justified and the ones that haven't have been charged awaiting trial.

There is racism in America there is no denying that but racism in this country isn't only targeted at just one race and if you think differently than you're just being ignorant. Other than these shootings that have been plastered all over the news within the last 2-3 years, I don't see where cops are racially targeting blacks or where blacks are being oppressed.....for f**ks sake we have a black president who's going to be ending his second term within months.

Dewiz-I hear what you are saying, and the vast majority of the public agrees that the BLM movement and these protest supporters have gone overboard, but there are a handful of Progressive BLM supporters on here that are quite vocal including LOMS, Knapplc, NM11046, GuyChamberlin and others who will tag team and shout you down. I know they enjoy calling me out for my center/right Conservative views as I have seen my name spelled out here several times.

The reality of this debate is that everyone has the right to free speech, so the protesters can push their agenda, but those offering a backlash can also state their opinions too. When sporting events become political, it creates division within the team, and while Riley appears to be doing a good job of keeping the team together and focused, the outside noise will eventually creep in and begin to affect the team chemistry and their performance on the field. And I fully expect these protest to continue.

For those interesting in recognizing the bravery and great work 99% of police officers demonstrate on the job each and every day, I created a Law Enforcement appreciation thread in the P&I forum. Instead of being frustrated with what is happening, this might offer an opportunity to show your support of the brave men and women in blue who are under attack in this country.

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/80498-law-enforcement-appreciation-thread/

• Fire 3

Ignorance and intolerance. That's the best way to describe Daub.

Kneeling during the national anthem is a personal choice. It isn't violent. It doesn't change the meaning of the words or the emotion you personally feel when you hear that song play. Instead of asking yourself why men you routinely cheer for are doing this, you go straight to punishing these kids? That only feeds into why these kids are kneeling in the first place.

But less than that, you have some idiot regent who wants to score political points at the expense of the football team. When this team is 4-0, having success on the field, off the field, and in recruiting, instead Daub wants to make it a laughing stock and a point of ridicule for fans and media.

Daub's intolerance is ignorance.

And if a man is this position of power displays this level of ignorance and intolerance to the children of this University, he has no business holding the power and influence he currently enjoys.

If someone wants to start a petition asking for the resignation of Daub, I'll be more than happy to sign.

• Fire 6

I just read the demands from the BLM website. After reading the demands, there is no way to conclude that it is anything but radical marxism. Having said that, I would guess that most of the athletes protesting have not read the demands, nor would they agree with them.

The irony of nearly all these Social Justice causes are they are funded by some of the most evil and powerful people in world.

We take down statues, let dudes in women's bathroom, change the name of schools and allow people to openly question ceremonies that have been a part of our culture for decades.

It will never stop. The ultra progressive have no tolerance as everything that does not align with them is HATE. No one wants to get sued so we really losing our culture at a staggering rate. Everything has to be accepted or its HATE.

Eventually, we will all have no middle class, be blaming eachother and guess what, those evil elite that financed this cultural revolution are more powerful than they were before.

I want to thank the sheeple for taking me on this ride. These kids kneeling on the sidelines does absolutely nothing for this cause they feel so powerful about. No one is talking about the issue, they are talking about the people doing it. It's a never ending grab for attention fueled by our uber narsasistic victim culture. I want attention but no accountability.

• Fire 1

If the masses need more support, tell them to wear a bra.

Some people choose to rise above the situation and make their life better.
​Others want someone else to pay for them for the rest of their lives and act like poor victims who no one likes.

PLENTY of scholarships and opportunities if someone is willing to look for it and actually apply themselves.

I worked in admissions at a major university while getting my education. It would amaze most people how many scholarships go unclaimed. I can see protesting the flag as a way to make a statement, but if they would watch Saving Private Ryan and Pearl Harbor, they may learn something about what being a hero is and why this country is great. They may learn that this country is bigger than they are and how privileged they are to live here. I doubt it, but I hope the light bulb would go on.

All people from all walks of life need to be and feel supported. When there is none or they don't feel it, they tend to act out in order to get attention, love and support.

That's how I'd explain Charlotte.

• Fire 1

Moving forward, I'd love it if the whole team and staff would, once and for all, take a knee with MRI this week. This could be done with a couple sentences of explanation on the PA system. And at the same time the staff would release a more detailed Twitter statement explaining our positionexplaining that the gesture is made in the hopes of improving race relations in America, and is no way intended to be disrespectful towards the police or our country.

Star Spangled Banner is played before the teams take the field at Memorial Stadium.

with what daub said and governor ricketts, the only way to prevent damage to recruiting and the image of Nebraska nationwide is for an overwhelming majority of the fans in the stands to take a knee during the anthem.

Moving forward, I'd love it if the whole team and staff would, once and for all, take a knee with MRI this week. This could be done with a couple sentences of explanation on the PA system. And at the same time the staff would release a more detailed Twitter statement explaining our positionexplaining that the gesture is made in the hopes of improving race relations in America, and is no way intended to be disrespectful towards the police or our country.

Star Spangled Banner is played before the teams take the field at Memorial Stadium.

with what daub said and governor ricketts, the only way to prevent damage to recruiting and the image of Nebraska nationwide is for an overwhelming majority of the fans in the stands to take a knee during the anthem.

Take a knee to during the national anthem to potentially save a recruiting class that is allegedly in danger?

:facepalm:

Someone somewhere will explain every situation in a way that fits your personal, preconceived narrative. Search a little bit and you can find it. You don't have to expand your mind, you don't have to think, you just have to find a few words that comply with your feelings and BAM! all done.

The people who 100% refuse to acknowledge that there are racial issues in this country - congratulations. You're kicking the can down the street. Your kids, your grandkids, your great-grandkids will deal with this because you're too scared to.

Maybe the next generation will be strong enough to deal with this.

• Fire 6

Someone somewhere will explain every situation in a way that fits your personal, preconceived narrative. Search a little bit and you can find it. You don't have to expand your mind, you don't have to think, you just have to find a few words that comply with your feelings and BAM! all done.

The people who 100% refuse to acknowledge that there are racial issues in this country - congratulations. You're kicking the can down the street. Your kids, your grandkids, your great-grandkids will deal with this because you're too scared to.

Maybe the next generation will be strong enough to deal with this.

They already are.

• Fire 1