Nebraska's Michael Rose-Ivey receives racial backlash for anthem protest

Ignorance and intolerance. That's the best way to describe Daub.

Kneeling during the national anthem is a personal choice. It isn't violent. It doesn't change the meaning of the words or the emotion you personally feel when you hear that song play. Instead of asking yourself why men you routinely cheer for are doing this, you go straight to punishing these kids? That only feeds into why these kids are kneeling in the first place.

But less than that, you have some idiot regent who wants to score political points at the expense of the football team. When this team is 4-0, having success on the field, off the field, and in recruiting, instead Daub wants to make it a laughing stock and a point of ridicule for fans and media.

Daub's intolerance is ignorance.

And if a man is this position of power displays this level of ignorance and intolerance to the children of this University, he has no business holding the power and influence he currently enjoys.

If someone wants to start a petition asking for the resignation of Daub, I'll be more than happy to sign.

Tremendously well stated.

I'm not for going after a guy's career and his job, but what strikes me here is these weren't some off the cuff remarks that got blown into a frenzy. This is a positive situation the team has handled with extraordinary class, and then he, as a Regent, chose to insert himself and in this manner.

His choices do not comport with his title. It should be fairly disqualifying.

• Fire 3

I don't like the way the protest is being performed, but I get it, and I give them props for doing what they're doing. Ricketts and Daub are embarrassing this state and the football program right now.

There are some really crappy people out there who need to have more respect for others. The racial attacks are sickening and those opinions could be eliminated from America, whether it steps over their "rights" or not.

The power tripping cops need to be weeded out. I've experienced it as a college student, I can't say my experience is that of a black man or woman's, but those cops make a bad name for the good ones out there. When a campus cop comes to my college course to speak to our class and he answers my question; "Why does it seem that when the more a person knows their rights, a cop continues to push to manipulate a reason to arrest that individual?" And he, with a smirk, responds: "because it's a game." Eff you. My life and everyone else's life IS NOT "a game."

The criminals who aren't complying with law enforcement and ultimately force is used, I have little to no sympathy for. Anyone who can turn a blatant criminal into victim should reevaluate their opinions. Many of these instances that have sparked protests and then riots leading to looting and more deaths have been just actions by police officers, but too many people are offering sympathy towards criminals. It's maddening.

With what is happening, I fear this is all a plot for our government to further push their Marxist agenda to head toward a one centralized police agency. THAT will be something to be fearful of.

I just read the article at espn.com about the regents and governor's comments and I think there is an overreaction on this board. It quotes the regents and governor, points out that no one is suggesting any punishment, and talks about mike riley ' s support. I may have rose colored glasses on, but all in all seems like the article is a net positive for the huskers.

I just read the article at espn.com about the regents and governor's comments and I think there is an overreaction on this board. It quotes the regents and governor, points out that no one is suggesting any punishment, and talks about mike riley ' s support. I may have rose colored glasses on, but all in all seems like the article is a net positive for the huskers.

This is what everyone's up in arms about regarding Hal Daub:

Regent Hal Daub of Omaha, who served two years in Korea during the Vietnam War-era, and a former Omaha mayor, said that student-athletes at NU “are not supposed to do things that create disparagement or negative implications.”

“It’s a free country,” Daub told the Journal Star on Tuesday. “They don’t have to play football for the university either.

"They know better, and they had better be kicked off the team."

LINK

Check out the Twitter and Comments Section greetings Leslie Jones received when she was announced as a cast member of the Ghostbusters remake

...and three black men beat up a white guy in Charlotte who was begging for mercy, but what does either have to do with Rose-Ivey keeping his politics out of his football?

It was simply in response to your post attempting to cast doubt that Michael Rose-Ivey was threatened as claimed.

I know a lot of Nebraska fans want these talented black kids to run and jump for their entertainment, and be grateful for the education they may or may not be getting at UNL, but again, your mild discomfort isn't really the story here.

• Fire 5

If the masses need more support, tell them to wear a bra.

Some people choose to rise above the situation and make their life better.

​Others want someone else to pay for them for the rest of their lives and act like poor victims who no one likes.

PLENTY of scholarships and opportunities if someone is willing to look for it and actually apply themselves.

I worked in admissions at a major university while getting my education. It would amaze most people how many scholarships go unclaimed. I can see protesting the flag as a way to make a statement, but if they would watch Saving Private Ryan and Pearl Harbor, they may learn something about what being a hero is and why this country is great. They may learn that this country is bigger than they are and how privileged they are to live here. I doubt it, but I hope the light bulb would go on.

All people from all walks of life need to be and feel supported. When there is none or they don't feel it, they tend to act out in order to get attention, love and support.

That's how I'd explain Charlotte.

I get what you're saying, but it's hard to take your argument too seriously when you start by making a joke about women's underwear.

I'm not advocating for the government to pay for endless programs. I'm not disagreeing that some get a little too accustomed to playing the victim (which Nebraska fans are pretty good at..."ESPN hates us...Herbstreit hates us..."). What I'm saying is that a fair number of people, especially in central city/lower income housing areas, don't feel like the government (elected officials, police, school districts, etc.) has their best interests in mind. Often times they're right, and other times they're not. But instead of just saying "suck it up and deal with it" to a group of people, maybe it would be more productive to listen to what they're dealing with, why there is so much anger. Heck, both sides of a discussion might learn something and improve from it. It's like teaching a kid to ride a bike. It only works to push them and take training wheels off when the kid knows you'll be there for them if/when or before they fall.

Idealistic? Maybe. People claim that our country was founded based on a lot of things. Idealism was right up there.

Look at how divided this board is. Would we be so divided if the protesters were not making a huge fuss over this problem in the first place? I agree, once again, there is still racism in our country. This brings me back to my point: Protesting this only makes matters worse. There is nothing left legislatively that can be done, everybody is already equal. I sound like a broken record, but protesting is making racist people more racist.

• Fire 1

No. We'd probably not have to think about racial injustice at all.

And wouldn't that be nice?

I think I asked this before, since you made the claim, before, that everybody has equal rights in this country. Why should we believe this to be true?

I also don't think the board is that divided. Where you see things being made worse, I see a lot of reason for optimism. Nebraska fans are fairly rallying around this group of young Huskers. There's been disagreements, some strong ones, but a lot of good, productive conversations, including these ones on this board. And this one:

CtZtwKOUsAABbxk.jpg

Nebraska football represents the state of Nebraska. I do not care what people do in their own time. This "platform" that players think they are entitled to doesn't belong to them. These players do not speak for every person in Nebraska. Therefore keep this crap in your personal time.

MRI said a lot of good things at the press conference. Why couldn't he say those things and not bring a negative aspect into it? Why couldn't he speak about this issue without first pissing people off?

This is the perception: I don't live in Nebraska anymore. People at work say "hey saw those players on your favorite football team didn't stand for the national anthem, looks like people in Nebraska are unpatriotic people." Is that true? No. But that's the perception when individuals represent something larger than themselves.

• Fire 1

Look at how divided this board is. Would we be so divided if the protesters were not making a huge fuss over this problem in the first place? I agree, once again, there is still racism in our country. This brings me back to my point: Protesting this only makes matters worse. There is nothing left legislatively that can be done, everybody is already equal. I sound like a broken record, but protesting is making racist people more racist.

holy sh#t
  • Fire 9

So now we're bringing Marxism into the debate?

Just seems weird that people who agitate for social justice -- as in equal treatment under the law -- so quickly get branded as unAmerican.

That IS America, guys. It's not a Central Government telling everyone what to believe. It's a central government trying to protect the rights of individuals. It's pretty messy because majorities can get perks from oppressing minorities, but America liked to think it was different that way. Declaration & Constitution and all that.

You still get to believe whatever you want. And if the court of public opinion isn't tipping in your favor, that's not necessarily political correctness. Could just be the free marketplace of ideas weighing in.

• Fire 5

Nebraska football represents the state of Nebraska. I do not care what people do in their own time. This "platform" that players think they are entitled to doesn't belong to them. These players do not speak for every person in Nebraska.

When they stand for the national anthem before football games, do they speak for every person in Nebraska as they're supposed to?