Nebraska's Michael Rose-Ivey receives racial backlash for anthem protest

Nebraska football represents the state of Nebraska. I do not care what people do in their own time. This "platform" that players think they are entitled to doesn't belong to them. These players do not speak for every person in Nebraska.

When they stand for the national anthem before football games, do they speak for every person in Nebraska as they're supposed to?
Well national pride is generally considered a good thing.

Nebraska football represents the state of Nebraska. I do not care what people do in their own time. This "platform" that players think they are entitled to doesn't belong to them. These players do not speak for every person in Nebraska.

When they stand for the national anthem before football games, do they speak for every person in Nebraska as they're supposed to?

Well national pride is generally considered a good thing. Since they don't stand for our anthem maybe they stand for a different country's?

Personally, I am so offended that MRI kneeled and prayed that God's grace and mercy fall on this country. What about people who don't believe in God?! Obviously he's not representing all Nebraskans.

• Fire 1

So's reflection. So's prayer. So's refusing to abide injustice.

He did all those things.

• Fire 3

I'm not saying they are not. Like I said the national anthem represents the good and bad, its just not the place for protest. You don't have to live in this country if you don't like it.

Would this take place on Saturday if another Sept 11 happened tomorrow? Does anyone remember what national pride felt like after that? Is that what it really takes to get it back?

Lastly, I'm still confused as to what this is achieving. Raising awareness? Raising awareness in order to what?

Did MLK sit down during the national anthem before he made a MEANINGFUL difference?

I'm not saying they are not. Like I said the national anthem represents the good and bad, its just not the place for protest. You don't have to live in this country if you don't like it.

Would this take place on Saturday if another Sept 11 happened tomorrow? Does anyone remember what national pride felt like after that? Is that what it really takes to get it back?

Lastly, I'm still confused as to what this is achieving. Raising awareness? Raising awareness in order to what?

Did MLK sit down during the national anthem before he made a MEANINGFUL difference?

^^^^ Took the words right out of my mouth about anthem protests, I tried to say it as well as Herbie87 did and failed. Protest all you want, although I disagree with it. However, the national anthem is not the right way to protest, it is disrespectful to the people who made the country the way it is today. In the good ways of course, not the bad ways.

I feel a great deal of national pride seeing young men and women stand up (or kneel down, as it were) for causes and continue to fight for principles of recognition and equality -- the ones our country stands to strive for.

I think we've talked at length about awareness, empathy, starting points, and so on. My last post on the previous page pointed to an example of what it was accomplishing. I see these threads and the conversations and the reactions of many Husker fans (agree or disagree) as a meaningful part of that.

It's funny you should mention MLK and "sit down." The sit ins were a big part of the Civil Rights Movement -- and substantially more disruptive.

When people say they don't think the national anthem is the time or place, they mean there isn't a time or a place unless that time is always "not now" and the place is always "somewhere I don't have to see it."

• Fire 6

Here's a few helpful quotes from MLK Jr to help you guess as to what his approach would be if he might have been a professional or collegiate football player in 2016 America.

“Let us stand up. Let us be a concerned generation. Let us remain awake through a great revolution. And we will speed up that great day when the American Dream will be a reality.”

"I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season." Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection."

"You may well ask: "Why direct action? Why sit ins, marches and so forth? Isn't negotiation a better path?" You are quite right in calling for negotiation. Indeed, this is the very purpose of direct action. Nonviolent direct action seeks to create such a crisis and foster such a tension that a community which has constantly refused to negotiate is forced to confront the issue. It seeks so to dramatize the issue that it can no longer be ignored. My citing the creation of tension as part of the work of the nonviolent resister may sound rather shocking. But I must confess that I am not afraid of the word "tension." I have earnestly opposed violent tension, but there is a type of constructive, nonviolent tension which is necessary for growth.

No, there is no public record of MLK Jr. kneeling during a national anthem. But there is one of him constantly being arrested, being called a radical, an extremist, an agitator, a troublemaker, having over 3/4 of the country disapprove of his movement, etc. So no, he didn't kneel during the anthem - but he did things FAR more disruptive and was viewed even more unfavorably than the athletes doing this are today.

• Fire 2

Some of the stuff being posted on here blows my mind. What f'ing year is it?

Unfortunately history has a funny way of repeating itself, I'm guessing we're back in the 60's to 70's right now. It's crazy.........and sad all at the same time.
it's like some people think that the players should protest in the dark so it doesn't inconvenience them.
  • Fire 4

I have to say that listening to MR-I explaining his reasoning for the protest has changed my opinion. When Kaepernick started doing it I was annoyed. As a wealthy NFL athlete, I felt it was just disrespectful. I also considered his cause to be too nebulous and non-specific.

The more opinions I hear on both sides, the less I want to associate myself with those who make too many assumptions about other people's experiences with racism.

• Fire 2

I think it's silly to be offended by the protest, but it's inappropriate to tell people they ought not be offended by the protest.

People also need to realize that being offended doesn't mean anyone has to do anything about it. It simply means you're offended, nothing further. You're not awarded any special rights or special treatment for being offended.

• Fire 1

I think it's silly to be offended by the protest, but it's inappropriate to tell people they ought not be offended by the protest.

People also need to realize that being offended doesn't mean anyone has to do anything about it. It simply means you're offended, nothing further. You're not awarded any special rights or special treatment for being offended.

I agree 100%. Just because I'm offended by the way they are choosing to protest, doesn't mean that either one of us is wrong. It just means I offended.

Pretty funny comedian touches on being offended. starts at 3:25

• Fire 1

I feel a great deal of national pride seeing young men and women stand up (or kneel down, as it were) for causes and continue to fight for principles of recognition and equality -- the ones our country stands to strive for.

I think we've talked at length about awareness, empathy, starting points, and so on. My last post on the previous page pointed to an example of what it was accomplishing. I see these threads and the conversations and the reactions of many Husker fans (agree or disagree) as a meaningful part of that.

It's funny you should mention MLK and "sit down." The sit ins were a big part of the Civil Rights Movement -- and substantially more disruptive.

When people say they don't think the national anthem is the time or place, they mean there isn't a time or a place unless that time is always "not now" and the place is always "somewhere I don't have to see it."

Thanks for clearing that up. I really thought I just didn't like it due to the disrespect I feel it shows during the National Anthem. I mentioned earlier that I would have no problem with them doing this during interviews or pretty much any other time, but since you answer for all I will have to change my tune.