Nebraska's Michael Rose-Ivey receives racial backlash for anthem protest

Students, faculty and staff-

As you know, the University of Nebraska has been in the spotlight over the last few days in regard to freedom of speech. This has been in response to a peaceful demonstration by three of our student athletes during the national anthem at the football game last Saturday.

NU President Bounds sent you an email earlier today expressing his unwavering support, and the University of Nebraska system’s principled support, of freedom of speech. We are proud and indeed fortunate to be engaged in the noble calling of higher education in the United States, and part of an organization that considers this freedom to be an indelible right.

I would add that the demonstration by our student-athletes represents the fact that we are an inclusive university; one that welcomes diverse views. The diversity in our thoughts and opinions is what leads to productive discourse. What isn’t productive, however, are threats or threatening behavior. I am saddened that the peaceful -- and by their intent respectful and prayer-centered -- actions of our students resulted in threats from a few individuals in public forums. I would encourage all to reflect on our beliefs on diversity and inclusion: “True excellence requires that each individual be able to work and learn in an atmosphere of respect, dignity, and acceptance. Our commitment requires each of us to continuously ensure our interactions be respectful, protect free speech and inspire academic freedom.”

While I fully recognize and appreciate that there are many who have strongly held views that this demonstration could have been achieved in a manner that did not conflate with the observance and allegiance to our national anthem, the fact remains that their personal choice to speak in this way is a protected right that we all are afforded by the Constitution. As pointed out so well by President Bounds, this same right allows our student athletes to kneel in prayer at midfield before or after competition – a tradition that is highly valued by many people as well.

Our student-athletes have provided us an opportunity to examine our own behaviors, engage in productive dialogue and consider alternate views about important issues of our time. This is essential at a place of higher learning.

There is indeed no place like Nebraska and I so appreciate your work and commitment to our mission.

Go Big Red.

-Statement just issued by Ronnie Green.

I especially enjoyed the bolded portion.

There's something big happening and I think we need to look at the possibility that it's good.

I think guys like Ricketts and Daub took the kind of position they have taken their whole lives, and fully expected the bedrock majority in our conservative state to welcome their comments. It was the initial first reaction of a lot of people. Good people who don't think they're racist.

Maybe Ricketts and Daub and others immediately outraged didn't expect the blowback to go against them. Not the politically correct blowback some try to blame on media orchestration, but a genuine seismic shift of a younger generation who shrug these things off, and a boomer generation that has have lived long enough to realize their personal experience doesn't dictate everyone else's.

Knee jerk reactions are giving in to reappraisals. People are figuring out they can live with more differences than they thought. Combat veterans aren't speaking with one voice, and neither are BLM supporters. The coach is speaking more about unity than division. The football player in question is meeting with the Governor.

Honestly, for as much as people hate these kind of threads, I'm pretty impressed with the level of discourse on a Husker football fan site.

Michael Rose-Ivey certainly wasn't wrong doing what he did for the reasons he stated.

I wholeheartedly agreed with everything in this post.

Very nicely put, Guy.

So you agree with the part in bold?

There's something big happening and I think we need to look at the possibility that it's good.

I think guys like Ricketts and Daub took the kind of position they have taken their whole lives, and fully expected the bedrock majority in our conservative state to welcome their comments. It was the initial first reaction of a lot of people. Good people who don't think they're racist.

Maybe Ricketts and Daub and others immediately outraged didn't expect the blowback to go against them. Not the politically correct blowback some try to blame on media orchestration, but a genuine seismic shift of a younger generation who shrug these things off, and a boomer generation that has have lived long enough to realize their personal experience doesn't dictate everyone else's.

Knee jerk reactions are giving in to reappraisals. People are figuring out they can live with more differences than they thought. Combat veterans aren't speaking with one voice, and neither are BLM supporters. The coach is speaking more about unity than division. The football player in question is meeting with the Governor.

Honestly, for as much as people hate these kind of threads, I'm pretty impressed with the level of discourse on a Husker football fan site.

Michael Rose-Ivey certainly wasn't wrong doing what he did for the reasons he stated.

What exactly do you mean by the part in bold? That anyone who disagrees with CK or others protesting the anthem are racist? Please, explain your rationale.

Yeah, that whole paragraph comes off like a passive aggressive form of calling conservatives racist.
  • Fire 1

What exactly do you mean by the part in bold? That anyone who disagrees with CK or others protesting the anthem are racist? Please, explain your rationale.

Yeah, that whole paragraph comes off like a passive aggressive form of calling conservatives racist.

Exactly...it's the pathetic left response that if you don't agree with their views on political correctness, you are deemed a racist...even if you don't know it. Lol. This is like the "baskets of deplorables."

Here's a good link with a good interview on this topic. I fully agree with the speaker's sentiment (Jason Whitlock):

http://louderwithcrowder.com/nfl-ratings-drop/

This fists in the air, the disrespect for the flag, the bringing up — the unnuanced, unfair demonization of police. Because again, name me as a black person. Do I want to be judged as a group by the worst behavior of a few black people, the way we’re judging the police based on the worst behavior of a few people?

We are demonizing the entire police force, and Kaepernick has done that with the socks and some of his statements. It’s an unnuanced attack which makes people uncomfortable, and I do believe people will push away from football after this.

• Fire 1

I have a feeling that some (not all) supporters think everybody who is against anthem protests, BLM, etc. are racist. You can want diversity while not supporting people who take a knee for the anthem. I do not think Gov. Ricketts' statement is racist at all. He is both right and wrong, but I will address that later in a post that I do not feel like making right at this instant.

EDIT: Before I get nasty replies, I agree that racism exists and it is a problem. I am saying that not every stance against it is racist.

I agree. But I don't think anyone here is saying that being against those things is racism, at least I don't remember that claim.

Let me ask a different question. Aside from the method that MRI is using to get attention, what's your opinion on his message?

I have a feeling that some (not all) supporters think everybody who is against anthem protests, BLM, etc. are racist. You can want diversity while not supporting people who take a knee for the anthem. I do not think Gov. Ricketts' statement is racist at all. He is both right and wrong, but I will address that later in a post that I do not feel like making right at this instant.

EDIT: Before I get nasty replies, I agree that racism exists and it is a problem. I am saying that not every stance against it is racist.

I agree. But I don't think anyone here is saying that being against those things is racism, at least I don't remember that claim.

Let me ask a different question. Aside from the method that MRI is using to get attention, what's your opinion on his message?

Umm...look at post 331 above where I bolded a comment from Guy suggesting that those who are having reactions to the protest are racists.

Exactly...it's the pathetic left response that if you don't agree with their views on political correctness, you are deemed a racist...even if you don't know it. Lol. This is like the "baskets of deplorables."

Do you see the irony in criticizes the "left" while using the same tactic? They don't agree with you, so they're "pathetic".

And notice that Whitlock's unnuanced generalization of the protesters is also ironic.

• Fire 1

i don't think that people are thinking they are racist. uninformed or misinformed is probably a better word, and that's not intended to be disrespectful. and thats the reason for the protests: to inform people of the issues in those areas and catalyze change.

obviously there will be people from both sides that are extreme, just as there are truly racist and bigoted republicans and democrats alike.

The national anthem is not a song paying respects to fallen soldiers. Can we dispense with that myth?

Of course it is not. I was not implying that, and I don't think anyone else was. It is, however, a symbol of our country, A country that people died to make the way that it is now.

We sing the anthem while looking toward the flag that does represent everyone, but has a special place for our veterans. At sporting events soldiers are often brought out prior to singing the national anthem. On Veterans Day we use flags as a symbol to remember our fallen soldiers. So while the flag and anthem do represent all Americans, it does have special meaning for our veterans and military personnel.

Are you a veteran? Why do you feel the need to speak on their behalf? I am a veteran yet I don't try to speak for all veterans.

Your opinions are exactly that - YOUR opinions.

I have a great deal of respect for the flag and what it represents. I know how the flag should be treated and how it should properly be displayed. It represents our country. I am upset when people disrespect the flag by not caring for it the way it should be. When people in the stands talk during the anthem or don't take their hats off.

You say MRI and others have disrespected the flag, when they have explicitly said that was not their intent when they took a knee. I feel his actions are more patriotic than most people, many veterans included, have ever done. He is trying to make this country a better place. Can you say the same?

• Fire 4

Here's a good link with a good interview on this topic. I fully agree with the speaker's sentiment (Jason Whitlock):

http://louderwithcrowder.com/nfl-ratings-drop/

This fists in the air, the disrespect for the flag, the bringing up — the unnuanced, unfair demonization of police. Because again, name me as a black person. Do I want to be judged as a group by the worst behavior of a few black people, the way we’re judging the police based on the worst behavior of a few people?

We are demonizing the entire police force, and Kaepernick has done that with the socks and some of his statements. It’s an unnuanced attack which makes people uncomfortable, and I do believe people will push away from football after this.

I don't want to speak for Guy, but I think you two are being a little too defensive and over-reactionary over the term racist. Sure, it's a hot-button term, but I see plenty of racism all around me in the white midwest. Including in myself.

If you have a racial bias, or pre-judge people based on their race, then you are, by definition racist. I'm racist. I don't use the N-word, but there are times that I treat people differently based on race. There are times that I have a preconceived idea about someone I don't know based on their race. I don't mean to, and its usually an unconscious thing, but I do it.

I think that when people start to come to terms with their own biases, (rather than ignoring them, or claiming moral superiority), then its possible to change our views a little.

The real injustice is ignoring the problem.

• Fire 1

He said "good people".

How can it be similar if nothing has really happened yet? All the anthem protests are doing is causing a bigger rift. What MLK did caused a legislative change. There are no more legislative changes to be done. All anthem protests are trying to do is change society at this point, which will only make it worse.

Plenty has already happened, but even if it hasn't, you still sound exactly like the white narratives of the 1960's. MLK caused legislative change, but that took years and years and years, and in the meantime, people like you thought what he was doing was bad, disruptive, divisive and driving a wedge in our country.

I4Fyvkb.jpg

I'm still yet to hear how praying for God's grace and mercy to fall on our country is disrespectful.

It is not. Kneeling down when trying to honor our fallen heroes is disrespectful.

A) The National Anthem is not designed to honor our fallen heroes

B) Kneeling down and praying for God's grace and mercy to fall on our country. Actively wishing and hoping for our country to be better. That is what MRI was doing. Think about it. Really think about how the hell that is disrespectful to America.

• Fire 2