Nebraska's Michael Rose-Ivey receives racial backlash for anthem protest

The fourth line. That is what I have been trying to say this whole time. Racist people will continue to be racist. It may be a few more generations until the problem of racism is mostly erased. Future generations will learn from society how other races will be treated. People wanting an immediate change, though, it will not happen.

It's been 50 years since MLK. How much longer are these people supposed to wait? People live in poverty, are denied housing and jobs, and experience many other indignities that you and I never have to experience. You refuse to even learn about what systemic racism exists in this country because you didn't like the fact that they took a knee during the national anthem.

You are what's wrong with this country.

• Fire 1

Good reading on flag burning: http://time.com/3907444/flag-supreme-court-history/

I can't imagine joining in. But I can imagine sympathizing with those who do it, had I been, for example, growing up in the era of Vietnam.

The flag is supposed to represent these things. As Americans we cherish our ideals and also an engaged citizenry that continues to fight for them. When those ideals aren't being lived up to and people are protesting that, then I think they are reflecting the founding principles with far more clarity than those who demand respect and adherence to symbols. They're the people who are asking "What are we doing, here? Is this really American?" On the other side, it's "Do not question. Just love your country." An odd expression to hear, in English.

Whenever patriotism becomes compulsory or coerced, that impetus is coming from corners that exchanged (or more dangerously, conflated) American principles with autocratic tactics.

Supporting people burning the American flag in protest? Please clairfy, Blitz!

He already clarified it. And he said he supported their right to burn it. Pretty important word you left out there.

He needs to clarify it to me more and please stay out of it

No need to be rude to Moiraine. Anybody on this forum is able to respond to anything.

The fourth line. That is what I have been trying to say this whole time. Racist people will continue to be racist. It may be a few more generations until the problem of racism is mostly erased. Future generations will learn from society how other races will be treated. People wanting an immediate change, though, it will not happen.

It's been 50 years since MLK. How much longer are these people supposed to wait? People live in poverty, are denied housing and jobs, and experience many other indignities that you and I never have to experience. You refuse to even learn about what systemic racism exists in this country because you didn't like the fact that they took a knee during the national anthem.

Oh great, another person insulting me because I don't believe what they do. They are in poverty because that is what they inherited. That has nothing to do with racism. I hope poverty ends certainly, but you cannot bring poverty into a thread like this. And nobody is denied housing because of race. Jobs, well I don't have stats to take a stance on that, but neither do you.

Think about what you are typing before referring to me as "what's wrong with this country."

Here is something I find sad: Throughout living my normal life today, I have overheard conversations about this exact same topic five times. One for it, the majority against. Throwing aside the side that people were on, because that doesn't matter in this post, this is consuming many people's lives, including mine. The people who are against it, like me, are truly saddened and angered by this. Anthem protests are NOT the best way to get the message across. No, I cannot think of a better way at the moment, but I can assure there are better ways that are less controversial. I get everything will be controversial, but some ways more than others.

Maybe I should text during Grace before Thanksgiving dinner because I am protesting.

Maybe you should hang out with a more diverse group of people. Everyone I have talked to about it supports MRI. My more conservative friends I'll see tonight may have a different opinion, though.

And of course you can't think of a better way to protest, you've never had anything to protest against. Do your text protest at Thanksgiving if your mom forgets to bring the canned cranberry sauce.

Supporting people burning the American flag in protest? Please clairfy, Blitz!

He already clarified it. And he said he supported their right to burn it. Pretty important word you left out there.

He needs to clarify it to me more and please stay out of it

No need to be rude to Moiraine. Anybody on this forum is able to respond to anything.

I am asking another veteran a question and do not need other explaining for them

Here is something I find sad: Throughout living my normal life today, I have overheard conversations about this exact same topic five times. One for it, the majority against. Throwing aside the side that people were on, because that doesn't matter in this post, this is consuming many people's lives, including mine. The people who are against it, like me, are truly saddened and angered by this. Anthem protests are NOT the best way to get the message across. No, I cannot think of a better way at the moment, but I can assure there are better ways that are less controversial. I get everything will be controversial, but some ways more than others.

Maybe I should text during Grace before Thanksgiving dinner because I am protesting.

Maybe you should hang out with a more diverse group of people. Everyone I have talked to about it supports MRI. My more conservative friends I'll see tonight may have a different opinion, though.

And of course you can't think of a better way to protest, you've never had anything to protest against. Do your text protest at Thanksgiving if your mom forgets to bring the canned cranberry sauce.

I have black friends, and friends who are female. None of them support MRI. Once again, just because I don't believe what you do doesn't mean you have to lash out.

GBR

Oh great, another person insulting me because I don't believe what they do. They are in poverty because that is what they inherited. That has nothing to do with racism. I hope poverty ends certainly, but you cannot bring poverty into a thread like this. And nobody is denied housing because of race. Jobs, well I don't have stats to take a stance on that, but neither do you.

Think about what you are typing before referring to me as "what's wrong with this country.

Are you f****g kidding me with the bolded? You seriously have no clue. Donald Trump himself was prosecuted for his racist housing practices.

I'll clarify my last statement: It's people like you who are ignorant to what is going in in this country are the problem. Before you post again about how nothing is wrong, educate yourself/

• Fire 1

Okay, let me clarify something here: I am obviously the dartboard of the thread now, which is a risk I took when I made the first post. Completely expected. I read what MRI said, what Chancellor Green said, what Hank Bounds said. I agree with the cause that they are trying to protest for. I just do not agree with the way that they are protesting. If someone wants to argue that, that is one thing. Do it respectfully, and I will respect you back, as I have done for many people in this thread. Do it insultingly, and my response will be not quite as nice. Once again, some examples of that in this thread.

I have black friends, and friends who are female. None of them support MRI. Once again, just because I don't believe what you do doesn't mean you have to lash out.

GBR

It's not the differences in belief. It's the denial of facts that pisses me off.

I don't care if you believe in God, Allah, the Flying Spaghetti Monster, or Santa Claus. Your beliefs hurt no one. But denying the racism in this country hurts it immeasurably.

Think about what you are typing before referring to me as "what's wrong with this country.

Are you f****g kidding me with the bolded? You seriously have no clue. Donald Trump himself was prosecuted for his racist housing practices.

I'll clarify my last statement: It's people like you who are ignorant to what is going in in this country are the problem. Before you post again about how nothing is wrong, educate yourself/

I have never said one thing like the blue bolded text in this thread.

GBR

It's not the differences in belief. It's the denial of facts that pisses me off.

I don't care if you believe in God, Allah, the Flying Spaghetti Monster, or Santa Claus. Your beliefs hurt no one. But denying the racism in this country hurts it immeasurably.

I cannot count how many times I have said in this thread that there is racism. I have never said there is no racism. My posts go all the way back to page three if you care to do some reading. I gradually get more open about supporting protests, but at no point in this thread do I specifically say there is no racism.