Nebraska's Michael Rose-Ivey receives racial backlash for anthem protest

Okay, let me clarify something here: I am obviously the dartboard of the thread now, which is a risk I took when I made the first post. Completely expected. I read what MRI said, what Chancellor Green said, what Hank Bounds said. I agree with the cause that they are trying to protest for. I just do not agree with the way that they are protesting. If someone wants to argue that, that is one thing. Do it respectfully, and I will respect you back, as I have done for many people in this thread. Do it insultingly, and my response will be not quite as nice. Once again, some examples of that in this thread.

You are getting my ire because you are the only one posting right now and I really could care less if you post less nice.

You say your only problem is with the way they protested, but then you go and say that their problems don't exist.

Okay, let me clarify something here: I am obviously the dartboard of the thread now, which is a risk I took when I made the first post. Completely expected. I read what MRI said, what Chancellor Green said, what Hank Bounds said. I agree with the cause that they are trying to protest for. I just do not agree with the way that they are protesting. If someone wants to argue that, that is one thing. Do it respectfully, and I will respect you back, as I have done for many people in this thread. Do it insultingly, and my response will be not quite as nice. Once again, some examples of that in this thread.

You are getting my ire because you are the only one posting right now and I really could care less if you post less nice.

You say your only problem is with the way they protested, but then you go and say that their problems don't exist.

I'm going to go ahead and stop replying to you, since obviously that will do more harm than good. Stuff I am repeatedly saying is going in one ear and out the other for you.

And nobody is denied housing because of race. Jobs, well I don't have stats to take a stance on that, but neither do you.

Your first sentence is entirely false, and the second sentence in fact does have stats. I made a thread in P&R with indisputable proof of both of these things. I encourage you to go look.

And nobody is denied housing because of race. Jobs, well I don't have stats to take a stance on that, but neither do you.

Your first sentence is entirely false, and the second sentence in fact does have stats. I made a thread in P&R with indisputable proof of both of these things. I encourage you to go look.

Fair enough, I'll go look at that.

Here is something I find sad: Throughout living my normal life today, I have overheard conversations about this exact same topic five times. One for it, the majority against. Throwing aside the side that people were on, because that doesn't matter in this post, this is consuming many people's lives, including mine. The people who are against it, like me, are truly saddened and angered by this. Anthem protests are NOT the best way to get the message across. No, I cannot think of a better way at the moment, but I can assure there are better ways that are less controversial. I get everything will be controversial, but some ways more than others.

Maybe I should text during Grace before Thanksgiving dinner because I am protesting.

Maybe you should hang out with a more diverse group of people. Everyone I have talked to about it supports MRI. My more conservative friends I'll see tonight may have a different opinion, though.

And of course you can't think of a better way to protest, you've never had anything to protest against. Do your text protest at Thanksgiving if your mom forgets to bring the canned cranberry sauce.

I have black friends, and friends who are female. None of them support MRI. Once again, just because I don't believe what you do doesn't mean you have to lash out.

GBR

It's not the differences in belief. It's the denial of facts that pisses me off.

I don't care if you believe in God, Allah, the Flying Spaghetti Monster, or Santa Claus. Your beliefs hurt no one. But denying the racism in this country hurts it immeasurably.

I cannot count how many times I have said in this thread that there is racism. I have never said there is no racism. My posts go all the way back to page three if you care to do some reading. I gradually get more open about supporting protests, but at no point in this thread do I specifically say there is no racism.

I gave you specific examples of racism and you denied them. You have no idea what racism is like in this country.

You make no effort to learn about what the protest is about because you don't like the way they did it.

Okay, I read it. While those are some pretty good stats, why says that it was 100% because of race? Sure, race may cause some bias, but certainly race is not the only reason. Would that graph look different if this country had no racism? Maybe a bit, but I don't think it would change all that drastically.

While those are some pretty good stats, why says that it was 100% because of race?

Who cares if it's 100% because of race?

It's still directly and disproportionately affecting certain races more than others and that's a problem and that's systemic racial inequality. You keep treating the word racism as if it's summarized as "bad thoughts about someone with different skin". Racism is a lot bigger than that. It's institutional advantages and disadvantages and systems that perpetuate cycles of poverty/crime/lack of representation/etc. It doesn't matter if they are racially fueled in intention. If they still adversely affect minorities, that's racism. Just because it's not in the thought of some hick screaming, "I HATE N***ERS!" doesn't mean it doesn't qualify under the term.

Supporting people burning the American flag in protest? Please clairfy, Blitz!

It's their right to do so as guaranteed by the constitution of the United States. When I took an oath for service it was to defend the constitution of the United States. That means every veteran has a moral obligation to see protests as PROTECTED SPEECH that we should DEFEND.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Armed_Forces_oath_of_enlistment

I'm still yet to see any outrage over the parachuter at Northwestern who let that massive flag just drag all across the football field.

26 years, United State Marine Corps, combat veteran, 2.5 tours in Viet Nam, 2 purple hearts. Laid in a hospital bed for two months on the last one, walking thru LAX, being called a baby killer, murderer, spit on, things thrown at me, and I support their right to burn the flag, we are a free country. Now burning it in front of me might be a little bit of problem for them.

I was on the 9th Marine Corps District Honor Guard, Burial detachment. I buried over 20 young Marines and the most important thing to their mother, their father, their wife was to be presented the Flag of the United States of America. Trust me it is important to the members of the military, every single one.

I love this country, the state of Nebraska and our football team. The kids have every right to do what they did, and in honesty I truly believe they were doing it to help others. So you have to think about what was done, why it was done and can a benefit come from it.

Being a Marine has given me the opportunity to see racism up close and personal. I grew up in Nebraska City, I never really knew what it was until I went into the Marines. Hate is the only word to truly describe it. But it does go both ways.

These young men have tried to open peoples eyes, this country needs to learn to stop hating, learn to understand.

I wish this could be the last post on this, open our eyes, our hearts and treat each other as you wish to be treated. These young men put themselves in a bad situation, we as Americans need to understand that and work on making things better.

• Fire 2

It's their right to do so as guaranteed by the constitution of the United States. When I took an oath for service it was to defend the constitution of the United States. That means every veteran has a moral obligation to see protests as PROTECTED SPEECH that we should DEFEND.

I do not need to be education on the oath, I lived it myself. It is not a protected speech burning a flag.

I really wish there was this much emphasis and bitching about the reason of the protest instead of all the focus and bitching about the how they are protesting. Lets start focusing on the issue. Maybe if we can have meaningful dialog (and more than just here) about why there's a protest, the offensive protests would go away.

The complaining about how the protests happens is akin to complaining about what color bucket is being used to collect water from a leaking pipe and placing zero effort in actually fixing the leaking pipe.

I do not need to be education on the oath, I lived it myself. It is not a protected speech burning a flag.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_v._Johnson