Alabama Transfer Blake Barnett

Former 5* QB and started the opener against USC for the Crimson Tide. No clue if we would be interested or not but he's a big 6'5 210+ lbs pro style QB with a live arm. From Corona, CA same home town as Taylor Martinez (different HS) and Josh Mitchell (different HS). Riley has connections in CA.

Again I don't even know if we are looking into it, but I see no reason not to. Currently a RSFr. and is planning to enroll in Junior College this semester and join a program in the winter. Would assume he would have 3 to play 2 if I'm looking at this correctly (assuming he doesn't get granted 3 to play 3 from his JC decision). Thoughts?

• Fire 2

SR Lee

RSo

RSo <-- Barnett

RFr

(TFr-to-redshirt, TBD)

Since he can't help us next year while redshirting and the above is what the depth is projected to be in 2018, I don't think there's a compelling numbers reason for this.

However, if the player is the right fit and the right talent, room is made. And, guys might transfer from here, too.

Eh......it's an intriguing prospect, but I do like who we are bringing into the program. 247 had him going to Oregon originally; it'd be interesting to see if they make another play for him. He does have a bit of dual-threat to him, which I would like to see stay in the program.

Oregon needs to keep their transfer QB streak alive!
  • Fire 1

Eh......it's an intriguing prospect, but I do like who we are bringing into the program. 247 had him going to Oregon originally; it'd be interesting to see if they make another play for him. He does have a bit of dual-threat to him, which I would like to see stay in the program.

Oregon needs to keep their transfer QB streak alive!

This kid has more than a year of eligibility; I don't know if they would know how to work with that.

• Fire 1

But Barnett has a plan — and it looks a lot like something we’ve seen before in college basketball.

According to bylaw 14.5.6 in the NCAA transfer guide, Barnett as a 4-2-4 transfer (four-year institution, to a junior college, and back to a four-year institution), can be eligible one calendar year from the date of his transfer from Alabama so long as he graduates with a GPA above 2.5 over an average of 12 hours per term at the certifying institution of Barnett’s choosing.

That’s a situation that happens frequently pre- and post-semester. The timing of Barnett’s transfer is what makes him a possible trailblazer: He’d be eligible to play the conference schedule at his next destination.

247Sports reviewed the NCAA transfer guide on Thursday with an FBS compliance source who has first-hand experience and knowledge in placing players from JUCOs, military institutions and other four-year colleges.

“I’ve never seen this situation before first-hand,” the compliance source said. “Because it’s so rare for somebody to leave in the middle of the season.”

It's worth noting that every person we talk to has slightly different perspectives on the interpretation of this rule. One source with significant experience dealing in junior college transfers believed that Barnett would be eligible immediately in 2017 at a four-year program. Still another source that coaches in the junior college ranks felt that Barnett wouldn't be able to play at a four-year institution until the 2018 season.

SR Lee

RSo

RSo <-- Barnett

RFr

(TFr-to-redshirt, TBD)

Since he can't help us next year while redshirting and the above is what the depth is projected to be in 2018, I don't think there's a compelling numbers reason for this.

However, if the player is the right fit and the right talent, room is made. And, guys might transfer from here, too.

wouldn't he be a RS Jr. in 2018?

• 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...

So people here are pretty excited about this pick up for ASU. Looks like he'll be available after the first month of the 2017 season. QB was not the main issue for ASU this season (defense was awful), and Graham is on the hot seat for next year, so this will be interesting to see how it plays out. But, I feel very badly for the other QBs on the team, and there's a good chance that a local 4* commit looks elsewhere too. We'll see how the dominoes fall.