Keto Diet

Fru

Anybody here on the keto diet?

I'm kind of a picky eater and I've been doing this diet since January. Lost 18 lbs, but I'm getting a little burned out on chicken, turkey, eggs and asparagus. Anyone have any meal suggestions?

I've been on a version of keto a few times over the last year. I have found that cycles work best since, for me at least, going very low carb for extended periods of time ends up halting some progress (which is to be expected when you are doing workouts in a carb deficient state), but mainly because my old man joints don't respond well to low carb for extended periods of time. Props to you for being on it for so long!

I think that you could benefit from adding some tasty seafood to your diet while also adding some low carb vegetable options (use this chart to get an idea of good veggies....you already know that most fruits aren't great for keto!), whether in solid form (eh) or juice form (eh!)

I always found my best results came from doing moderate carbs one day a week and "heavy" carbs another day. My DEXA came back at just over 12% (do the math on what calipers would tell you :P ), but to be fair, I was also IM fasting. I felt like the heavy carbs carried over a day or two into beginning of the week workouts (of course the heavy carb day was reserved for Husker game days!) which obviously helped.

I'm interested in hearing more of your experiences!

• 2 months later...

Anybody here on the keto diet?

I'm kind of a picky eater and I've been doing this diet since January. Lost 18 lbs, but I'm getting a little burned out on chicken, turkey, eggs and asparagus. Anyone have any meal suggestions?

I've been on a version of keto a few times over the last year. I have found that cycles work best since, for me at least, going very low carb for extended periods of time ends up halting some progress (which is to be expected when you are doing workouts in a carb deficient state), but mainly because my old man joints don't respond well to low carb for extended periods of time. Props to you for being on it for so long!

I think that you could benefit from adding some tasty seafood to your diet while also adding some low carb vegetable options (use this chart to get an idea of good veggies....you already know that most fruits aren't great for keto!), whether in solid form (eh) or juice form (eh!)

I always found my best results came from doing moderate carbs one day a week and "heavy" carbs another day. My DEXA came back at just over 12% (do the math on what calipers would tell you :P ), but to be fair, I was also IM fasting. I felt like the heavy carbs carried over a day or two into beginning of the week workouts (of course the heavy carb day was reserved for Husker game days!) which obviously helped.

I'm interested in hearing more of your experiences!

To the first bolded part, do you mean that you plateau out at some points with low carb intake? I have been fairly consistent with my diet and exercise this year and have noticed weeks where the scale wouldn't budge, and then weeks where weight seemed to be falling off, even though nothing had really changed diet/exercise wise.

Everyone keeps telling me to add fish to my diet. Problem is, I hate seafood. I've tried just about everything. Not for me. I do take Omega 3 supplements though to try and recoup some of the benefits of seafood though.

That's how I am. I usually treat myself to a half burrito bowl from Chipotle on Wednesdays. Approximately 3 oz or so of brown rice. Saturdays are cheat days. I try not to go too crazy and usually cease the carb intake by about 3PM on Saturdays. I've been doing intermittent fasting for a while now. I think Keto has been the biggest help though in losing weight the right way. When I first started IF, I lost a ton of weight really quickly, but a lot of it was muscle mass. I lost weight, not fat.

FWIW, I started the year at approximately 188 lbs. I'm a 5'11'' male with a fairly athletic build, but 188 was way over what I should be weighing. Pretty much just skinny fat. (Full time job, grad school and internship have gotten me off track from time to time.) Started Keto in late Jan/early Feb. Diet mainly consists of grilled chicken for lunch and egg whites with chili for dinner. Workouts usually consists of lifting weights. Not trying to become Arnold Schwarzenegger, just want to tone up. Don't do much cardio. I like to bike when it's nice out and I'll hop on the treadmill every once in a while. But for the most part workouts are usually 3 or 4 times a week. I weighed myself last week and was 164. My goal is around 155. I try not to weigh myself too often. Last time I cut a bunch of weight I was far more focused on the number on the scale than anything. Trying to "pass the eye test" now. I'm thinking the mid 150's will yield the results that I'm looking for.

• 2 years later...

Late to the party, but I'm trying the keto diet right now. I'm in week two and I've seen a few pounds fall off, but I'm only trying to lose a little (I'm already fairly lightweight around 180). A coworker suggested the plan they'd been using from this website: Ruled Me. It has some fantastic meal suggestions like Drunken Five Spice Beef, Cheesy Chorizo Meatballs, Curry-rubbed Chicken thighs, etc. Definitely makes the diet more palatable. It also walks you through the entire process by explaining ketosis, why you should probably calorie count, etc. The website also helps set your macros.

@Fru, did you/do you calorie count on keto? One of the hardest things for me is staying under my calorie goal while hitting my macros, especially the fat. My macro goal is 142g. Seems like I'm going a little over my calories each day in an attempt to hit the fat macro. (~50 or so).

I'm also doing IM fasting which is really only difficult at night. I'm doing bulletproof coffee in the morning which is helping a lot, but fasting in the evening can be difficult some days.

50 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Late to the party, but I'm trying the keto diet right now. I'm in week two and I've seen a few pounds fall off, but I'm only trying to lose a little (I'm already fairly lightweight around 180). A coworker suggested the plan they'd been using from this website: Ruled Me. It has some fantastic meal suggestions like Drunken Five Spice Beef, Cheesy Chorizo Meatballs, Curry-rubbed Chicken thighs, etc. Definitely makes the diet more palatable. It also walks you through the entire process by explaining ketosis, why you should probably calorie count, etc. The website also helps set your macros.

@Fru, did you/do you calorie count on keto? One of the hardest things for me is staying under my calorie goal while hitting my macros, especially the fat. My macro goal is 142g. Seems like I'm going a little over my calories each day in an attempt to hit the fat macro. (~50 or so).

I'm also doing IM fasting which is really only difficult at night. I'm doing bulletproof coffee in the morning which is helping a lot, but fasting in the evening can be difficult some days.

I didn't really count calories while doing keto. Maybe for a month or so when I was really trying to drop the last 5 lbs or so. I definitely did count the grams of carbs, sugar and fiber. I tried to keep sugar under 10g, and carbs under 50g. 

Sounds like you have seen results pretty quick. It took my body about 6 months to adjust and actually lose weight. If you're using intermittent fasting as well that should really accelerate your results. If you can, set your feeding window to early afternoon and evening that might be easier. I try to eat everything I'm going to eat for the day between 1PM and 7/8PM. That way you're doing most of your fasting at night, and I found it's easier to fill up on coffee or water in the morning. Once you really get into it, you'll be amazed at how long you can last without feeling hungry. 

cavemanketo.com has tons of recipes and meal suggestions as well. 

• Plus1 1

Anyone considering the keto diet should become familiar with the risks (emphasis mine):

https://www.health.com/weight-loss/keto-diet-side-effects

But as a general weight-loss plan, keto is more controversial. Some health experts warn against it entirely, citing unpleasant side effects, health risks, and the diet’s unsustainable nature. Even many keto proponents admit that, if the diet’s not done “the right way,” it can be the opposite of healthy.

Just this week, a 25,000-person study presented at the European Society of Cardiology Congress in Munich suggested that people on the lowest-carb diets had the highest risk of dying from cancer, cardiovascular conditions, and all other causes. Another study, published this month in the Lancet, also found that people who followed diets that were low in carbs and high in animal proteins had a higher risk of early death compared to those who consumed carbs in moderation. (The opposite was true, however, for low-carb dieters who opted for plant-based proteins over meat and dairy.)

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/ketogenic-diet-is-the-ultimate-low-carb-diet-good-for-you-2017072712089

Key takeaways from a ketogenic diet review?
A ketogenic diet could be an interesting alternative to treat certain conditions, and may accelerate weight loss. But it is hard to follow and it can be heavy on red meat and other fatty, processed, and salty foods that are notoriously unhealthy. We also do not know much about its long-term effects, probably because it’s so hard to stick with that people can’t eat this way for a long time. It is also important to remember that “yo-yo diets” that lead to rapid weight loss fluctuation are associated with increased mortality. Instead of engaging in the next popular diet that would last only a few weeks to months (for most people that includes a ketogenic diet), try to embrace change that is sustainable over the long term. A balanced, unprocessed diet, rich in very colorful fruits and vegetables, lean meats, fish, whole grains, nuts, seeds, olive oil, and lots of water seems to have the best evidence for a long, healthier, vibrant life.

Good stuff @Fru and @RedDenver. I'm definitely taking some liberties with the keto diet in the sense of what I'm choosing to eat. For example, I'm not doing a lot of red meat and choose to substitute turkey where possible. I'm doing a lot of non-meaty proteins vs meat proteins, as well. I'm also increasing my vegetable intake where possible to eat less meat (I've noticed many of the meal choices in the different plans are heavy on proteins, light on greens).

I'm also only doing it for a short time to trim. After mid-January, I'll be back on just a general low carb/low fat diet with lots of non-starchy greens, which is sort of my standard meal strategy.

14 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Good stuff @Fru and @RedDenver. I'm definitely taking some liberties with the keto diet in the sense of what I'm choosing to eat. For example, I'm not doing a lot of red meat and choose to substitute turkey where possible. I'm doing a lot of non-meaty proteins vs meat proteins, as well. I'm also increasing my vegetable intake where possible to eat less meat (I've noticed many of the meal choices in the different plans are heavy on proteins, light on greens).

I'm also only doing it for a short time to trim. After mid-January, I'll be back on just a general low carb/low fat diet with lots of non-starchy greens, which is sort of my standard meal strategy.

FYI, the studies I've seen have recommended keeping the keto diet to less than 30-90 days and then transitioning to a Mediterranean diet for the long-term, which is similar to what you suggest other than the Med diet includes healthier fats.

15 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Are you doing any exercise regimen with it as well? 

23 minutes ago, Fru said:

Are you doing any exercise regimen with it as well? 

Not as well as I should be, that's for certain. I was mostly sedentary before I started and I planned to start working out last week but got hammered with a chest cold right as I started keto. I got back on the wagon this week though and did a run the previous two days.

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

Not as well as I should be, that's for certain. I was mostly sedentary before I started and I planned to start working out last week but got hammered with a chest cold right as I started keto. I got back on the wagon this week though and did a run the previous two days.

Is cardio your main focus? One of my goals for 2019 is to hit keto hard and focus more on cardio than weights. 

1 hour ago, Fru said:

Is cardio your main focus? One of my goals for 2019 is to hit keto hard and focus more on cardio than weights. 

Yep - almost exclusively. I've tried lifting weights many times over the years and I lose focus too quickly mentally. I just can't sustain it for more than a few weeks.

Interestingly enough, what really kickstarted my cardio interest was Insanity Max:30 last winter. For just 30 minutes, I was averaging between 350-400 calories burned on the lighter workout days and 425-500 on the harder workout days like Fridays. After the program ended, I started running. I hit a lull after my wedding though, hence my desire to get back on the workout/healthy eating train. 

• 1 month later...

My fiance wants to lose about 15-20lbs before our wedding, together we started this Keto thing about a month ago.  So far she's down around 10 and I'm down around 20.   But like @Frusaid it's gets boring eating the same basic protiens over and over.   She's on Insta and Pinterest trying to find new and exciting recipes to try.  Some are decent, we had cauliflower cheese soup that was really good.   The multiple varieties of 'fat bombs' she keeps trying have all been awful.

1 hour ago, sho said:

My fiance wants to lose about 15-20lbs before our wedding, together we started this Keto thing about a month ago.  So far she's down around 10 and I'm down around 20.   But like @Frusaid it's gets boring eating the same basic protiens over and over.   She's on Insta and Pinterest trying to find new and exciting recipes to try.  Some are decent, we had cauliflower cheese soup that was really good.   The multiple varieties of 'fat bombs' she keeps trying have all been awful.

https://cavemanketo.com/category/food/dinner/

One of the better sites I've seen for recipes and such. 

I recently discovered these. They're about the size of a Totino's pizza. 6g of carbs for half of a pizza. Great way to tide ya over if you're having a pizza craving. 

Image result for quest pizza

• Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Eat chicken and steak, broccoli and other veggies.  Dont eat dairy or anything with dairy in it.  Dont drink soda or other crap high in sugar.  Lift weights at least 3 times a week.  Its not rocket science when it comes to dieting. Its will power and desire.  Muscle controls matabolism.  The more muscle you have the higher you metabolism will be so the more fat you will burn and you will be able to eat more freely.  Lift weights!!!

• Fire 1