What Did We Learn - Illinois

Mavric

If youve paid any sort of attention this year, and were worried in anyway going into the 4th qtr, then shame on you. This group put the hammer down in winning time.

Cethan Carter is a much bigger loss inthe run game than the pass game. His blocking-or lack there of today-is sometjing you dont notice till its not there anymore like today against some big boy DLineman

Brilliant game mngmnt by our coaches. When be ame clear we didnt have our best stuff, no one panicked. With all the little injuries they didnt put backups and inexperienced guys in positions to fail. They dummied it down and kept thumpin away. Went intoa nice little "just win the game" mode. Ill tell you. For as much as the last staff preached about process, these guys dont have to preach about it. They live it every week.

This is two weeks ina row now where i never had the "f#*k me here we go" sh#t pantsing feeling, but rather a "well get this", non-overreactory feeling. And look what went down. I like feeling that way. Makes it fun.

#boom #micdrop

What I have learned coming to this tread and reading things every week is that about 80% of you guys, just can't enjoy a win.

Right now there are maybe 4-5 real good teams in CFB this year and a bunch of pretty good teams. I would put NU in that group.

Considering that I saw multiple people before the season predicting 3-2 at this point I will take 5-0.

Enjoy the win that was a good front 4 and the O-line wore them out. I can't believe the complaints about penalties, they had 3 I think in the game. The defense gave up only 270 total and only 18 over the last quarter and a half.

The DEs go AWOL at times. They get little pressure and do not contain particularly well.

NU was fortunate that Illinois made some dumb penalties at key times in the game.

It was nice to see NU run at a team and wear them out.

How NU could do so well verse UCLA in special teams and then be so average this season is an amazing transformation.

​Another win makes them bowl eligible!

Haven't seen much mention of this, but did anyone else feel like we couldn't tackle a girl scout in the first half? Maybe it was just "one of those days". Tackling seemed to get better in the second half, but so many times in the first half it felt like three people would whiff before someone made the tackle.

Which brings up a good thing. To me, the past many years it seemed we were incapable of adjusting at half time. I believe this team and staff have been very adept at making halftime adjustments this year.

• Fire 1

I've learned that this team has some terrific moxie and leadership. In the 4th quarter they cut the heart out of Illinois and showed it to them before they died and there was absolutely nothing Illinois could do about it.

Cethan Carter is a monster at TE. When he went out, it made things a whole lot harder on the offensive side. That dude is going to get paid at the next level.

Nebraska is 5-0. This is a good thing. They're playing sloppy at times but still finding ways to win. This is encouraging to me. I'm not the least bit impressed by Wisconsin offensively. It was painful to watch them yesterday. Yes, their defense is quite nasty and will be a good test when NU goes up there in a few weeks.

The bye week is coming at a great time.

• Fire 2

Some good signs.......T. Newby is running like a pro. D. Pierson-El looks like he got his mojo back. Great players make coaches look great....ask Barry Switzer. We have a number of players who are taking responsibility for what happens and that's big, especially away from home where it's easy for the team to go into a funk without all the fan support.

​Michigan and Wisconsin also seem less like world beaters today as well.

Someone who says "you can say the same for Alabama" is living in an alternate universe. Correct me if I'm wrong but they've handled all of their opponents much more easily than we have ours. And say what you will about previous seasons not mattering (they usually do) Alabama won the national championship last year, and when do they drop off significantly in recent memory? It's safe to say they are still damn good.