RB Garrison Johnson [Syracuse - Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

28 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Johnson commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

I know it's early but are we generating interest with any other RB prospects? Obviously we would like to take Noah Cain first but that seems like a long shot

Not that I can think of. However, keep in mind RB is a physically demanding position where it is hard for Fr/Soph's in HS to play and/or stand out. Of course you gets some early maturing studs that do, but it's not like DB or WR where physical stature/maturity isn't quite as important.

I know it's early but are we generating interest with any other RB prospects? Obviously we would like to take Noah Cain first but that seems like a long shot

Not that I can think of. However, keep in mind RB is a physically demanding position where it is hard for Fr/Soph's in HS to play and/or stand out. Of course you gets some early maturing studs that do, but it's not like DB or WR where physical stature/maturity isn't quite as important.
Not a problem for Johnson, he ran for 1500 yards and 18 touchdowns on 210 carries in the biggest class for Texas football. But I'm assuming the reason he is down our list is more related to skill set as opposed to production. Not a ton of burst or lateral quickness.

So I just looked and he was only 200 yards behind Cain in rushing in Texas 6A. When you put the film on you can see the main difference though. Johnson has speed but rarely goes lateral or makes a move, he is usually just full speed ahead. Cain can really move side to side and make people miss but still has size and power.

I know they are in two separate classes but I like Johnson's film over Roberts

Roberts certainly has some Marshawn Lynch looking runs on his highlight reel but I'm not sure what his competition is like. Sometimes looks like a pee wee team out there against him. Johnson's burst through the line really seems to pop after watching Roberts. The other thing to remember about Johnson is he was only a sophomore during that film. Pretty impressive. Maybe not 4 star impressive, but it's a good kid to be in the lead on early.

Not a problem for Johnson, he ran for 1500 yards and 18 touchdowns on 210 carries in the biggest class for Texas football. But I'm assuming the reason he is down our list is more related to skill set as opposed to production. Not a ton of burst or lateral quickness.

So I just looked and he was only 200 yards behind Cain in rushing in Texas 6A. When you put the film on you can see the main difference though. Johnson has speed but rarely goes lateral or makes a move, he is usually just full speed ahead. Cain can really move side to side and make people miss but still has size and power.

I agree with your first paragraph.

https://twitter.com/lilgarry_1/status/856687992596975617

All this family talk would be really awkward if it turned out his offer is noncommitable next year

Why would his offer be uncommittable?
It almost assuredly is not. Apparently not high enough on our board.
Doesn't make any sense. Why would we offer him during his sophomore year of high school if it isn't going to be committable? You would think we would take a little more 'wait and see' approach if we're not totally sure of the kids talent and projection, especially for a sophomore.

https://twitter.com/lilgarry_1/status/856687992596975617

All this family talk would be really awkward if it turned out his offer is noncommitable next year

Why would his offer be uncommittable?
It almost assuredly is not. Apparently not high enough on our board.
Doesn't make any sense. Why would we offer him during his sophomore year of high school if it isn't going to be committable? You would think we would take a little more 'wait and see' approach if we're not totally sure of the kids talent and projection, especially for a sophomore.

You would think.

• Mavric changed the title to RB Garrison Johnson [Syracuse - Signed LOI]