What did we learn-Indiana edition

Tommy was running for his life today. Not a good result.

Lots of things didn't go right today and there are a long list of kinks the team will have to work out or try to survive through. But they didn't lose their composure. This Nebraska team is pretty tough!

As much as I hope and think it's possible otherwise, we (probably) are going to see this Top 10 team face its comeuppance at least a couple times this season, and tumble in the polls. Enjoy this while it lasts, though!

• Fire 1

We still don't have a punt return.

Langs is still calling stupid sh#t

Tommy still makes bad choices when he is pressured

Banker still doesn't bring it when he should

Indiana is better than their record

This, plus I would add that we learned we have very few stretch/boundary running plays in the playbook. If they could learn a basic stretch/toss play and run it consistently, we wouldn't have to put up with opposing teams stacking eight in the box every freaking down.

I learned our O-line is in bad, bad shape. We need to somehow get healthy and/or get other guys ready to play. 90% our our problems on offense today were on the offensive line. Plays were blown up before they started. Blocks were missed. Protections failed. We'll lose several more games this year if we can't get the O-line shored up.

I learned Indiana is a pretty good team this year, particularly on defense. If their running/wildcat QB Diamont could execute more of their offense we would have lost.

6-0 is better than 5-0 and 5-1.

I learned the players watch/see ESPN gameday and were offended at the segment on Nebraska.

“Other people may laugh at us — talking about 'Are we real?' or 'Are we a great team?'” Armstrong said. “Great teams win games. That's all I've got to say about it.” ~ OWH story

• Fire 2

That we can win with crappy OL play and TA reverting to his 2015 form without two of our biggest weapons.

Our defense can play well against a pretty good offense and pretty much won this game for us.

Our special teams are still that "special."

People love to put the blame on Langs for players not executing and for playing to their strengths and hiding their weakness such as protecting TA from himself. The only really quesitonable call was the pass play on 3rd and 2, other than that it was all about a bad OL and bad QB play partly because of the OL.

6-0 for the first time since Crouch was our QB.

It is time to get revenge on Purdue next week and get ready for the meat of our schedule. As long as Ohio State wins tonight and then Wisky beats Iowa next weekend, the if we win the next two and we will be West Division Champions baring an upset in our last three games vs Minny, Maryland, and at the Suckeyes.

Michigan State is not good at football this year as they lost at home to Northwestern 54-40.

THIS

That is my takeaway too.

I disagree for this game. I thought it was clear in the second quarter that Tommy was off, yet Langs continued to put the ball on his arm. After the Morgan (lucky?) TD, he finally seemed to settle down on the few throws he made rest of game.

Really, where I'm going with this is more from a game management perspective. Granted, the D was mostly great, but they were kept on the field too long at times n 2nd and 3rd quarter. I thought Langs took too long to get into run-it-down-their-throats mode to kill time, and I don't understand why he waited til the very last drive before Tommy was instructed to run the play clock all the way down.

That we can win with crappy OL play and TA reverting to his 2015 form without two of our biggest weapons.

Our defense can play well against a pretty good offense and pretty much won this game for us.

Our special teams are still that "special."

People love to put the blame on Langs for players not executing and for playing to their strengths and hiding their weakness such as protecting TA from himself. The only really quesitonable call was the pass play on 3rd and 2, other than that it was all about a bad OL and bad QB play partly because of the OL.

6-0 for the first time since Crouch was our QB.

It is time to get revenge on Purdue next week and get ready for the meat of our schedule. As long as Ohio State wins tonight and then Wisky beats Iowa next weekend, the if we win the next two and we will be West Division Champions baring an upset in our last three games vs Minny, Maryland, and at the Suckeyes.

Michigan State is not good at football this year as they lost at home to Northwestern 54-40.

THIS

That is my takeaway too.

I disagree for this game. I thought it was clear in the second quarter that Tommy was off, yet Langs continued to put the ball on his arm. After the Morgan (lucky?) TD, he finally seemed to settle down on the few throws he made rest of game.

Really, where I'm going with this is more from a game management perspective. Granted, the D was mostly great, but they were kept on the field too long at times n 2nd and 3rd quarter. I thought Langs took too long to get into run-it-down-their-throats mode to kill time, and I don't understand why he waited til the very last drive before Tommy was instructed to run the play clock all the way down.

We only averaged 3 yards per carry, we weren't having success running.

Who wants to stand up and explain to this knowledgeable football guy what was lucky about the Morgan TD?

:dunno Maybe that the three defenders take themselves out of the play? Really though, watch Stanley break off his route and come back to the ball, made a cut, found the open field, and got vertical. It was a good play by Stanley to get the first down and a bad play by the defenders to give him the opportunity to find the end zone.

That is not luck, that is football.

• Fire 1

Who wants to stand up and explain to this knowledgeable football guy what was lucky about the Morgan TD?

:dunno Maybe that the three defenders take themselves out of the play? Really though, watch Stanley break off his route and come back to the ball, made a cut, found the open field, and got vertical. It was a good play by Stanley to get the first down and a bad play by the defenders to give him the opportunity to find the end zone.

That is not luck, that is football.

DBs faceguarding and Tommy threw it to an open spot on the field. The only "lucky" part of the play was the safeties taking themselves out.

You have to give credit to the IU defense. They played well. However, with injuries to key skill players (Tommy, Westy, Cethan, and Ozigbo), I think the game plan was a little vanilla and the absence of those injured players (or limited capacity in TA's case) really stalled drives in key 3rd down moments.

I thought the biggest difference was we didn't call many of the pass plays that made TA look better the last 3-4 games. We had been running a lot of routes to get TA easy throws - 5-10 yards downfield to a fairly stationary receiver. There was a lot more trying to hit guys on the run and setting him up to throw YOLOBombs.

That is because of the way IU's defense plays, we had advantages and TA couldn't hit them. IE the missed easy TD that he overthrew by about 5 yards. Between bad OL play due to three walk on's playing, and his normal inaccuracy we couldn't take advantage of the matchups that we had in our favor.

You have to give credit to the IU defense. They played well. However, with injuries to key skill players (Tommy, Westy, Cethan, and Ozigbo), I think the game plan was a little vanilla and the absence of those injured players (or limited capacity in TA's case) really stalled drives in key 3rd down moments.

I thought the biggest difference was we didn't call many of the pass plays that made TA look better the last 3-4 games. We had been running a lot of routes to get TA easy throws - 5-10 yards downfield to a fairly stationary receiver. There was a lot more trying to hit guys on the run and setting him up to throw YOLOBombs.

That is because of the way IU's defense plays, we had advantages and TA couldn't hit them. IE the missed easy TD that he overthrew by about 5 yards. Between bad OL play due to three walk on's playing, and his normal inaccuracy we couldn't take advantage of the matchups that we had in our favor.

Eh, I'm not really sure about that. We hit a couple of those passes late but I'm not sure we even tried any in the first half. We had advantages but we didn't seem to be even trying the same pass routes that we had been using.