Huskers secondary steppin' up big

zoogs

While I agree that the secondary has been solid - does it bother anyone else how far off the WR they play pre-snap? If they're truly lockdown corners like they say they are, I don't see why they aren't playing bump and run with the WRs at the line. We played stout against Indiana, but those 8 to 10 yard passes were way too easy for Lagow to complete.

While I agree that the secondary has been solid - does it bother anyone else how far off the WR they play pre-snap? If they're truly lockdown corners like they say they are, I don't see why they aren't playing bump and run with the WRs at the line. We played stout against Indiana, but those 8 to 10 yard passes were way too easy for Lagow to complete.

Being "Lockdown U" doesn't require the DB's to play bump n run. I haven't looked into the finer details of the defense being run this year, but bump n run isn't usually an aspect of zone coverage, which I think is being played most of the time by Banker.

Being "Lockdown U" doesn't require the DB's to play bump n run. I haven't looked into the finer details of the defense being run this year, but bump n run isn't usually an aspect of zone coverage, which I think is being played most of the time by Banker.
yep 100% scheme. We are giving up a little in the short pass game and gaining a lot on longer pass plays

That's because they're trying to take away the big play over the top. Something that plagued them last year.

I would like to see some more interceptions that are not the result of a horrible pass. They look better than last year, but they'll be put to the test against OSU.

There is nothing wrong with being in position to make an INT on a bad throw. College QB's are going to make bad throws, the D has to take advantage of them. If the pass is a good throw, the best the DB can usually do is break up the pass.

I would like to see some more interceptions that are not the result of a horrible pass. They look better than last year, but they'll be put to the test against OSU.

There is nothing wrong with being in position to make an INT on a bad throw. College QB's are going to make bad throws, the D has to take advantage of them. If the pass is a good throw, the best the DB can usually do is break up the pass.

I never said that I dislike when we pick off bad throws. Who would dislike that? I am saying we need to make more impressive INTs, in addition to the ones made on bad throws.

I never said that I dislike when we pick off bad throws. Who would dislike that? I am saying we need to make more impressive INTs, in addition to the ones made on bad throws.
asking too much. You don't pick off good throws, that's why they are good throws. I'll take a PBU on a great throw all day long

asking too much. You don't pick off good throws, that's why they are good throws. I'll take a PBU on a great throw all day long

Agree. I would say that a very small percentage of good throws on good routes ran by the receiver actually lead to an interception by an amazing play of the defender. Even when the throw/route is bad, the defender isn't able to make the interception a lot of the time.

How many "should a been pick 6's" are there in every game (especially with Tommy at QB)?