Bubba S

I am I

I think the Royals handling of him has been really odd. Maybe because they like his speed and defense so much. He really struggled in AA this year for half a year but they still moved him up to AAA and he struggled even more. His on base percentage in AAA was .213!

The Royals envisioned Starling taking over for Lorenzo Cain in CF, after Cain most likely leaves the Royals after the 2017 season (that's when Cain becomes a free agent). The Royals built their team the past few years by focusing on speed and defense, which Starling is great at. Starling just can't seem to hit at any level. Bubba isn't the first "bust" in the major league draft, and won't be the last. At least Bubba should be able to live off his huge signing bonus for a while.

Bubba was in Triple-A Omaha at the end of the year. While he did struggle hitting, the Royals love his speed and athleticism. He is nowhere near giving up baseball, and even if he did, I doubt he would go back to the grind of college football. He was not a NFL style QB like Chris Weinke or Brandon Weeden, so he wouldn't really have a future in the NFL.

Russel Wilson says hi....
But Russel Wilson was playing football in college the entire time he was playing baseball in the Rockies organization.

Yeah, Starling could attempt to play football in college for a free education and to hit on hot college girls for 4 years. But, he's probably not doing it for a future career in the NFL. Starling would be 27-28 years old by the time he would be ready to play in the NFL, and NFL teams aren't going to invest a high draft choice for that age of rookie QB.

Brandon Weeden
  • Fire 1

Bubba was in Triple-A Omaha at the end of the year. While he did struggle hitting, the Royals love his speed and athleticism. He is nowhere near giving up baseball, and even if he did, I doubt he would go back to the grind of college football. He was not a NFL style QB like Chris Weinke or Brandon Weeden, so he wouldn't really have a future in the NFL.

But Russel Wilson was playing football in college the entire time he was playing baseball in the Rockies organization.

Yeah, Starling could attempt to play football in college for a free education and to hit on hot college girls for 4 years. But, he's probably not doing it for a future career in the NFL. Starling would be 27-28 years old by the time he would be ready to play in the NFL, and NFL teams aren't going to invest a high draft choice for that age of rookie QB.

Brandon Weeden

Yeah I was about to mention him as well.

Brandon Weeden

Did you guys see my original post? Brandon Weeden was a pro-style QB who came back to college and was able to get drafted in the NFL. By all accounts, Starling was an athlete first, who Beck and Pelini thought could be turned into a QB. The likelihood of him being drafted even if he stayed at NU were slim.

Brandon Weeden

Did you guys see my original post? Brandon Weeden was a pro-style QB who came back to college and was able to get drafted in the NFL. By all accounts, Starling was an athlete first, who Beck and Pelini thought could be turned into a QB. The likelihood of him being drafted even if he stayed at NU were slim.

Oh I agree. Starling, even if Hell froze over and he came back to college to play QB, wouldn't get drafted. Not unless he had some sort of miracle 2 seasons that saw him win a Natty and a Heisman.

Brandon Weeden

Oh I agree. Starling, even if Hell froze over and he came back to college to play QB, wouldn't get drafted. Not unless he had some sort of miracle 2 seasons that saw him win a Natty and a Heisman.
what if he didn't play quarterback?

Brandon Weeden

I doubt there is any scenario where he would come back to college to play anything besides QB.

Brandon Weeden
I doubt there is any scenario where he would come back to college to play anything besides QB.
I mean this scenario is already really far flung so...

I brought it up, mainly, to see if we still "own his rights". Secondly because tebow has like 1 hit in 14 at bats and was wondering if bubba ever rose above his own mediocre start.

I think part of the success of Weeden and Weinke was their maturity at 25-26 yrs old after trying to make it pro. That's one hell of a red shirt. Kinda like the BYU guys coming back after mission at 20-21 yrs old as a "freshman".

I never thought bubba would be a great QB here as a real freshman, was just curious....

(Thanks for stats WorldsWorst)