No Interest In Purdue Game?

Aside from the obligatory prediction poll thread, the weather and the tv coverage map I'm not seeing threads about the game itself. Seems like every other game had it's share of thoughts spread amongst a handful of threads. Right after the Indy game their was a thread about Duey losing their coach but it's long gone now.

So is everyone really not that interested in Purdue? Nothing really to say?

Here is some stuff I'm watching for:

Seems like the first game after an interim coach comes in it can go one of two ways. It can go the way our two interm coached games went vs Michigan State and USC. The players come out with their hair on fire. Or it can go the implosion "we're defeated" rout. Seem's like more often than not it's the first. Sort of like bringing in a new QB to "light a spark" or BBall players who play well off the bench.

Their performance against Iowa vs how we play against them. At a glance it looks like Iowa dominated for most of the game before giving up lots of garbage time points.

Their OT game against Illinois, a team we didn't exactly dominate, so one could make the case a more dominate performance against Duey would indicate improvement on our part. No?

A lot was made in the offseason about last's years Purdue game being a wake up call/turning point. Will this years team come out seeking revenge or be all business?

The most talked about thing I'm hearing amongst fans is the hope that a blow out by halftime occurs so starters can rest and not risk additional injury. I just don't see this happening: (Three Reasons)

1. Because of their performance and ours against Illinois

2. Because of the way we play even in what looks like blowouts it doesn't come until well into the 4th quarter, not much rest there.

3. We also seem content to be very deliberate on offense and bend but don't break on D so even if we score on all our possessions we might only score 21 by halftime.

Thoughts?

• Fire 1

It's probably because everyone is arguing over the presidential race in the politics and religion forum. I for one am not counting this game as a win, but I'm sure that's more because I'm just waiting for the loss bug to bite us and that's probably more of a protection measure on my part rather than a belief that we can't beat Purdue. With our offensive line hurting and several guys already banged up I'm nervous about every game at this point.

• Fire 3

It's probably because everyone is arguing over the presidential race in the politics and religion forum. I for one am not counting this game as a win, but I'm sure that's more because I'm just waiting for the loss bug to bite us and that's probably more of a protection measure on my part rather than a belief that we can't beat Purdue. With our offensive line hurting and several guys already banged up I'm nervous about every game at this point.

I also tend to use my pessimism as a protection measure. It doesn't work that well even when that part of me is correct. I'm still bummed as hell esp. if I feel we lost to a team that we are better than.

I don't see us losing to them after what happened last year the same way if we played Sparty this year I think we'd be toast even though their season is in the tank.

• Fire 1

There are far too many non Husker sports discussions on the board (far too many in politics certainly). This is a "Husker" board but I suspect a third to half the stuff is non Husker sports related. Although everyone has an opinion, far too many are founded on fiction and not fact based reality. In football, there is always room for divergence of opinion as to the best strategy and so on - this is the key aspect of the game that makes it the best sports game ever invented. Without all the variability, football might be as 'ho hum' as baseball or something, God forbid! Imagine how few posts would come forth if we were debating baseball. LOL

We are in the heart of a football season and the team is undefeated, yet the level of interest seems quite low. Yes, the team is not exactly 'lighting it up' with exciting big plays and dominating offense or even some great special teams. We are just winning in rather bland style and thank goodness we've not had to suffer those heart pounding last second hail marys and off the goal post field goals or double overtime gut wrenchers. But there is every reason to believe those may be just around the bend as the Husker football roller coaster ride is far from over. Perhaps, there is a degree of tension building (like the lull before the storm) as Wisconsin and Ohio State loom as dark clouds in the southwest and the storm warnings are being issued.

• Fire 1

This team fully remembers that Purdue smacked them around last year, they'll be ready to return the favor. They also understand that they have a chance to do something none of them have done before, be 7-0. After another grueling road win they will come out relaxed but focused to beat Purdue handily.

I've visited the board less since the 20 page MRI thread and whatnot. Just like I did when Polo ruined it for me. If I want politics I go to a political forum.

I come here for football and my beloved Huskers. Also, I like all the guys who know about recruiting it's fun to keep up on that.

The real truth is, besides Oregon early, our schedule has sucked balls and until we play UW and tOSU there isn't much interest in these 💩 games

There are far too many non Husker sports discussions on the board (far too many in politics certainly). This is a "Husker" board but I suspect a third to half the stuff is non Husker sports related. Although everyone has an opinion, far too many are founded on fiction and not fact based reality. In football, there is always room for divergence of opinion as to the best strategy and so on - this is the key aspect of the game that makes it the best sports game ever invented. Without all the variability, football might be as 'ho hum' as baseball or something, God forbid! Imagine how few posts would come forth if we were debating baseball. LOL

We are in the heart of a football season and the team is undefeated, yet the level of interest seems quite low. Yes, the team is not exactly 'lighting it up' with exciting big plays and dominating offense or even some great special teams. We are just winning in rather bland style and thank goodness we've not had to suffer those heart pounding last second hail marys and off the goal post field goals or double overtime gut wrenchers. But there is every reason to believe those may be just around the bend as the Husker football roller coaster ride is far from over. Perhaps, there is a degree of tension building (like the lull before the storm) as Wisconsin and Ohio State loom as dark clouds in the southwest and the storm warnings are being issued.

Good points, I know how dead the baseball portion is because I've actually been there. :) One guy even does at bat by at bat during games, other than that....dead.

It just amazes me how soon into the season we forget how deserted the offseason feels. A topic about every sliver of an article, every tweet of a 17 year old recruit....etc...then the season comes and before long we take it for granted.

I would disagree about winning in bland fashion. Just about every game, no scratch that, EVERY game has had me worried at some point.

You are right. After this week regardless of what happens it will be a wild second half of the ride. The storm is indeed coming.

I've visited the board less since the 20 page MRI thread and whatnot. Just like I did when Polo ruined it for me. If I want politics I go to a political forum.

I come here for football and my beloved Huskers. Also, I like all the guys who know about recruiting it's fun to keep up on that.

The real truth is, besides Oregon early, our schedule has sucked balls and until we play UW and tOSU there isn't much interest in these games

Is it really that hard to find a pure football discussion on Huskerboard?

I click on Husker Football and we talk about Husker Football.

Out of thousands of threads, the Michael Rose-Ivey thread got into politics because politics got into football. It was super easy not to click on that thread if you didn't want to go there.

The real truth is, besides Oregon early, our schedule has sucked balls and until we play UW and tOSU there isn't much interest in these games

But it seemed like Northwestern game had multiple "Will this be our let down game?" threads or "we always struggle with sneaky NW threads"

With Indy there was much talk/concern about their performance against mighty Ohio State.

Seems like every game has had it's own unique foreshadowing, not this week it seems.

I am interested, because if we slip up (tons of injuries at key positions still) we are in for a terrible terrible weekend.

Nebraska has to get by Purdue, stay healthy, heal up and prepare for their biggest two games of the year so far with Wisconsin and Ohio State.

But those games become nightmares if the Cornhuskers trip up vs Purdue.

I would suggest that if we get by Purdue, then Wisconsin becomes the 'biggest' game in several years. We really needed to win the UCLA bowl game and it was a big win as it got the bad taste out of the mouth and spurred the players on into the winter conditioning etc. Now I am not yet completely sure about our overall team conditioning as we've really not played in really hot weather yet we've seen quite a few cramps, etc. But we have been a fairly strong team in the fourth quarter but I tend to want to credit some of that to the rather sloppy (lazy, take it easy) play of the second and third quarters. We seem to play hard the first 12 minutes and the last 15 minutes but in the middle 'rounds' we play rope a dope or something. We need to find the gumption and drive to play hard for every snap by everybody. This is how the somewhat less talented team can overcome and pull out the win over the better teams.