The Worst 7-0 team you've ever heard of

knapplc

We are 7-0 for the first time since most of you started following Nebraska is my guess. Why on earth can't you be happy for the kids and the staff.

Proud as heck of the kids, staff and program. But I was last year to. We have the meat of the schedule coming. Tough games for anyone in the country. Of course we can lose them, but we just might win them. Penn State proved, you have to play the game.

It sounds like the Wisconsin game is evening out some. What a game, hope the team plays well. No more injuries for either side and the best team wins.

I was talking about this very dynamic a week ago with a friend. I see two factions of fans within our own base that fit this. One is the older fan, that lived through the most dominant era of college football history, but has no perspective whatsoever of the game of football or how it's changed over the years. This person will never be happy again until we win dominantly every week, do it running the football, and by god there better be a damn fullback in game. Now, obviously it's a bit of an exaggeration, but if you just think about it for a minute, you get the general point i'm making. Nothing this current team can do will be good enough. Cuz these ppl have set 1995 as the standard. not 1996. Not 2001. Not 1993. The best ever is the standard. creating a lose lose situation.

The other faction is the young fan, who did not live during that time. The fan that's read the books. Watch the vids. Replayed the most dominant of wins on youtube. (though ignores the links to kansas 1993, wyoming 1994. Missouri 1997 and so on). They have this perception of how great that time was (which is was) that has created this desire to experience it themselves SO DAMN BAD, that again, nothing we do now comes close to it. I fell into this category as an 8,9 year old in 1991-92. My hardcore attention to Nebraska football began in 1990ish. All i heard about was the early 70's. Then shortly thereafter I got to experience it myself. now it's funny. My son is 8. He really started paying attention last year. I started showing him stuff from the 90's. But i cant reiterate to him enough how rare that is.

not everyone, but it's just a generalization i see when it comes to folks that seem like they cant be happy with anything.

Im on record as saying I believe a win saturday night could cause further division. There are ppl who are obviously beyond being pleased or impressed. There will be discrediting of the win. "Wisconsin is a 5-3 team". maybe Michigan looks human against the team they play saturday, which will steal some of Wiscys credibility. wiscy's big Inside LB is out. Bet your ass that will come up. And if we lose? Well the i-told-you-so cards will be out in plenty.

I recall a one panel newspaper cartoon from around 1999 or 2000ish. It was two fans sitting in the stadium for the Spring Game and one of them was saying to the other "Only a 15 yard run? We'll be lucky to win 11 games this year!"

NU was so spoiled for so long. There's little to no nuance with Husker fans, especially the ones online, and it can be devastatingly annoying. I'm sure all of us have had the pleasure of going to a game and sitting near someone who is just complaining and whining the whole game. Enjoy it for what it is. We're undefeated, ranked in the top ten and have a showdown with a marquee opponent. Try enjoying something for a change.

I watched before the 70's, lived thru the Osborne sucks, he will never win the big one, the mid 90's and everything since. I know Coach Osborne, Coach Solich, and God Forbid Coach Callahan. I personally like all three of them. The past coach I have to really stretch to say something good about him, but this Riley dude (whom I have not met yet) may just be my favorite. He truly gets it. He understands the kids, the fans, the ones that like him and the ones that don't. He works every second to make things better, to get us back to what each and every one of us want. For me it is not about winning, it is how you go about winning.

He accepts responsibility and explains what he is doing and that any failure, falls on him and the staff, never the kids. That is a great person, man and coach. With that you start to win, and I believe given the time he will be loved here on an equal level with Coach Osborne. I truly can not think of anyone I would rather have coaching Nebraska. He is what a Nebraskan has always been to me. Fair, honest, sincere, hardworking and dedicated to this program, the kids and the fans. A totally refreshing thing.

• Fire 3

it will be amazing after the game saturday if we win, to see the fanbase even more divided than before. LOL. I fully expect it. Gonna be a lot of "i told you so"s and "but"s come sunday. Probably regardless what happens.

I don't know though. We'd be in the drivers seat for Indy at that point. You'd have to be pretty dumb to not get that. But, maybe you're right.

If we win on Saturday, with Ohio State losing to Penn State...I'm going to be thinking about the playoffs, for sure.

it will be amazing after the game saturday if we win, to see the fanbase even more divided than before. LOL. I fully expect it. Gonna be a lot of "i told you so"s and "but"s come sunday. Probably regardless what happens.

I don't know though. We'd be in the drivers seat for Indy at that point. You'd have to be pretty dumb to not get that. But, maybe you're right.

If we win on Saturday, with Ohio State losing to Penn State...I'm going to be thinking about the playoffs, for sure.

I shouldnt generalize the whole fanbase as being 50-50 split, but you obviously get what im saying. I just dont see many naysayers crossing over after a win saturday. I just see too much in society of ppl standing by their opinion so staunchly regardless of what facts are presented them, that i just see it as if youre negative this week, youll still be that way next week. Not even about nebraska football. that's just the type of miserable person you are. And a win saturday will be one more step closer to cementing them as wrong. And the problem now is some ppl are more concerned with being right than getting it right. And of course, guys like me will constantly point it out and debate cuz that's what we do. And that's where the division will come from.

I watched before the 70's, lived thru the Osborne sucks, he will never win the big one, the mid 90's and everything since. I know Coach Osborne, Coach Solich, and God Forbid Coach Callahan. I personally like all three of them. The past coach I have to really stretch to say something good about him, but this Riley dude (whom I have not met yet) may just be my favorite. He truly gets it. He understands the kids, the fans, the ones that like him and the ones that don't. He works every second to make things better, to get us back to what each and every one of us want. For me it is not about winning, it is how you go about winning.

He accepts responsibility and explains what he is doing and that any failure, falls on him and the staff, never the kids. That is a great person, man and coach. With that you start to win, and I believe given the time he will be loved here on an equal level with Coach Osborne. I truly can not think of anyone I would rather have coaching Nebraska. He is what a Nebraskan has always been to me. Fair, honest, sincere, hardworking and dedicated to this program, the kids and the fans. A totally refreshing thing.

I could not agree with you more!!! As I am a Husker fan for 60 yrs, you develop some perspective. The winning records were great, but what made me MORE proud was the way we played.... not that all players & staff were perfect (we are human after all), but the overall honesty, integrity, gracious fan base, academic All-Americans, support thru good & bad times and good leadership of the Nebraska sports program make me proud to be Husker!