Nebraska vs. Wisconsin

I tried to find MSU's rankings when they played us last season, but I'm not having much luck, just figured that would be helpful to some folks to compare that game to this game. My guess is MSU was ranked a little bit better than Wisconsin is this season on defense and better on offense. While we were probably in a worse spot, but playing the game is another story all together, obviously Sunday we'll know where we stand as a football team. Either we'll shut everyone up or everyone will say, "see, I told you!" chances are that all carries over in the OSU game anyways. So I got on the NCAA website and looked at the defensive and offensive rankings for those folks that are curious, but don't know, they are as follows.

Nebraska Offensive Ranking.

39th overall offensively.

35th overall in rushing.

59th overall in passing.

39th overall in scoring.

70th overall in redzone scoring.

Wisconsin Offensive Ranking.

89th overall offensively.

65th overall in rushing.

90th overall in passing.

96th overall in scoring.

112th overall in redzone scoring.

Nebraska Defensive Ranking.

21st overall defensively.

27th overall against the rush.

55th overall against the pass.

14th overall against scoring.

44th overall in the redzone against scoring.

Wisconsin Defensive Ranking.

9th overall defensively.

10th overall against the rush.

29th overall against the pass.

4th overall against scoring.

9th overall in the redzone against scoring.

After looking at these stats it's my opinion this comes down to our offense against their defense. This probably isn't a surprise to anyone here, but their offense isn't world beaters by any stretch of the imagination. We have another "Purdue" type of offensive game we're screwed! But if we can put together a game offensively similar to the Oregon game, balanced attack, control the clock, limit penalties and turnovers, etc then I think we can win this game. Now OSU..................well they came up in the Top 10 in most of these categories so that game is a whole other story.

• Fire 1

I guess the offensive numbers this year are the one surprising disappointment for me - I truly thought we'd be at least 10 points and 100 yards a game better on average this year than we are and I guess you point to weak O line play and injuries. About three games ago, I thought the O line was starting to come together and making strides and looked like we could be pretty decent by year-end. Now, maybe that can still happen but? I am afraid the injuries and so on are just taking their toll and the big guys are just not gonna be what I had hoped. Depth and strength and stamina are not there although I think it very odd that we are so gimpy and struggling yet have managed to dig down and find some gas in the 4th quarter. I am not gonna count on that continuing as we move into the meat of the schedule. The appetizers have been OK but now its time to really get going.

Our red zone scoring is VERY disappointing and it seems like we've been pretty good in the red zone (field goals % is good and we seem to get points once we get there but 70th is now very good).

Yes, but look at who they have played and now look at who we have played.

I get it, I truly do, but I'm simply pointing out that if we could beat MSU last year that was probably a better team than this Wisconsin team and we were worse last year why can't we beat Wisconsin this year? They aren't that good of a team offensively. You need to score points to win a game and they can't do that very well. I think we'll move the ball and the fact that this team is saying, "they are the test we need" speaks volumes for their attitude. Their defense is very good, I'm not denying them that, they could stop us from scoring very easily as well if Langsdorf doesn't call a good game it's could get ugly.