OWH Herbstriet Interview

Mavric

When a Husker fan poked him in September for picking Northwestern over Nebraska, Herbstreit fired back.

Three weeks later, Herbstreit was on the GameDay set when colleague David Pollack asked whether Nebraska was “for real.” What ensued was an awkward exchange of smirks and giggles, something you might see in a high school classroom. Yes, Herbstreit said, Nebraska was a top-10 team. Pollack and Desmond Howard immediately busted out laughing.

Watching from their hotel rooms in Bloomington, Indiana, several Husker players felt insulted. They believed the GameDay gang was mocking them. Not true, Herbstreit said.

“We wouldn’t laugh at any team, are you kidding me? The guys were laughing at me because they know that Nebraska fans hate me and so when I was trying to give compliments to Nebraska, they were laughing at me ...

“I sometimes share some of the things that people say to me from Nebraska. So it’s kinda become a little bit of an inside joke on our set with how Nebraska fans are toward me. The giggling and laughing was more of them laughing at me. Most definitely not laughing at Nebraska.”

OWH

The guys were laughing at me because they know that Nebraska fans hate me and so when I was trying to give compliments to Nebraska, they were laughing at me ...

Ha ha! Herbie needs to get over himself. Nebraska fans don't hate him. I think most Husker fans actually sort of like Kirk. Or at least they like him more than most talking heads. Oh sure, when he makes some boneheaded comment Husker fans are going to call him out on it. But that doesn't mean they *hate* him.

The guys were laughing at me because they know that Nebraska fans hate me and so when I was trying to give compliments to Nebraska, they were laughing at me ...

Ha ha! Herbie needs to get over himself. Nebraska fans don't hate him. I think most Husker fans actually sort of like Kirk. Or at least they like him more than most talking heads. Oh sure, when he makes some boneheaded comment Husker fans are going to call him out on it. But that doesn't mean they *hate* him.

I mean there is a perception though, I don't think he really thinks we hate him

He noted earlier that it's not all Nebraska fans:

“What I have to guard against, I can’t let that affect how I talk about their team,” Herbstreit said. “There’s a tendency — if you could read some of the things that some of these fans say as consistently as I get from that fan base — it’d be easy to want to see them lose, just for that contingent of their fan base. But I don’t get that way at all. I stay impartial and neutral.

Oh, there are definitely some (not necessarily on this board) Homers that hate him, or at least dislike him beyond reason.