Nebraska High School Players - Class of 2020

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

@BigRedBuster @huskered17 I moved the above two posts out of the Eteva thread because I thought it might generate some discussion and I didn't want it clogging that thread.

I've been tracking in-state prospects for several years.  I was mainly looking at it from the perspective of how bad Class A has been at generating Power 5 talent for quite awhile now.  But it also shows how the entire state has been doing.

Generally 2-3 guys per year is about all that go Power 5.  Last year was a bit heavy.  I would say that two is probably the number this year even though there are technically three.  They tried to get Watts but he wanted Notre Dame.  Maybe we snag Gifford late but other than that I don't think anyone else was really deserving.

Here's what I researched a year or so ago, updated for the current class:

Crazy how down Class A in Nebraska has been for several years now when it comes to producing legit Power 5 prospects.

Here are the top five prospects from the state according to the 247 Composite and which class they played in high school.  Players the Husker got are highlighted red.  Players are crossed out if they didn't go to a Power 5 school (Marsh originally walked-on at NU then transferred).

2020 - Betts (A), Watts (A), Swanson (A), Ducker (A), Gifford (A)

2019 - Henrich (A), Hickman (A), Nelson (B), Snodgrass (B), Piper (C)

2018 - Jurgens (B), Mapieu (B), Williams (A), Schlager (B), Stai (B)

2017 - Allen (B), Walker (A), Bradley (A), Strom (A), Kitrell (B)

2016 - Fant (A), Bubak (C), Stille (B), Manchigiah (A), Cromer (B)

2015 - Neal (A), Decker (A), Holtorf (B), Johnson (A), Strong (A)

2014 - Foster (A), Phillips (A), Stoltenberg (B), Gifford (A), Rose (A)

2013 - Banderas (A), LaCouture (A), Minter (A), Bazata (D), Sayles (A)

2012 - Bender (A), Ott (D), Cotton (A), Rahmings (C), Grigsby (A)

2011 - Reeves (B), Sterup (C), Davie (B), Fisher (A), Lampkin (A)

2010 - Rodriguez (B), Evans (B), Dietz (A), Cotton (A), Marsh (A)

2009 - Lechner (A), Sellers (B), Zimmerer (B), Pensick (A), Davis (A)

So in the last 12 classes, only 14 class A players have signed with the Huskers and two of them (I believe) were walk-ons.  Six from Class A went to other Power 5 schools though LaCouture shouldn't really count.  Gifford is pending.

Over that same time frame, Class B has produced 11 Huskers (two walk-ons).  So Class A has only produced three more scholarship Huskers over the last 12 years than Class B has.

For perspective, using current enrollment numbers but adjusting for how many schools have been in Classes A and B during the time frame above (it was changed last year), Class A has approximately 238% of the number of boys enrolled in school as Class B has.

While doing all this research, did you happen to notice how much contribution DONU had from each class? For example, out of all the class A kids vs class B kids, which one contributed on the field more?

I hope my question makes sense...

1 hour ago, Day by Day said:

While doing all this research, did you happen to notice how much contribution DONU had from each class? For example, out of all the class A kids vs class B kids, which one contributed on the field more?

I hope my question makes sense...

Yeah, I was going to say something about that as well.  I was really noticing that when I was working on updating it.

The Class A kids have not really panned out really great either, especially lately:  

Starters/Contributors - Pensick, Cotton, Cotton, Banderas, Gifford, Foster, Hickman

Non-contributors - Rose, Decker, Neal, Bradley

TBD - Walker, Heinrich, Betts

Class B seems to have fared better:

Starters/Contributors - Zimmerer, Rodriguez, Davie, Reeves, Stoltenberg, Allen, Jurgens, Nelson

Non-contributors - Evans

TDB - Snodgrass

Class C/D for comparison:

Starters/Contributors - Sterup, Stille

Non-contributors - none

TBD - Piper

Good thing Class A had the Cottons to pull the average up.  :lol:

Edited by Mavric
Corrected Stille
17 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yeah, I was going to say something about that as well.  I was really noticing that when I was working on updating it.

The Class A kids have not really panned out really great either, especially lately:  

Starters/Contributors - Pensick, Cotton, Cotton, Banderas, Gifford, Foster, Hickman

Non-contributors - Rose, Decker, Neal, Bradley

TBD - Walker, Heinrich, Betts

Class B seems to have fared better:

Starters/Contributors - Zimmerer, Rodriguez, Davie, Reeves, Stoltenberg, Stille, Allen, Jurgens, Nelson

Non-contributors - Evans

TDB - Snodgrass

Class C/D for comparison:

Starters/Contributors - Sterup

Non-contributors - none

TBD - Piper

Good thing Class A had the Cottons to pull the average up.  :lol:

Thanks for the update. Will always remember Cotton for this. haha.

cottondown-0.gif

• 2 weeks later...

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...