TA & POB

This may be a bit off topic, but why didn't Riley recruit and sign any QB's in 2015. I understand he was only on the job for 2 months, but there had to have been QB's that he was trying to come to Oregon State that he could have flipped to NU. This is a big miss by the staff.

They tried, but most of the QBs had already committed. They offered scholarships to a few guys they thought they could get to switch (Joe Burrows being on of them) but didn't have any luck

This may be a bit off topic, but why didn't Riley recruit and sign any QB's in 2015. I understand he was only on the job for 2 months, but there had to have been QB's that he was trying to come to Oregon State that he could have flipped to NU. This is a big miss by the staff.

They tried, but most of the QBs had already committed. They offered scholarships to a few guys they thought they could get to switch (Joe Burrows being on of them) but didn't have any luck

If they tried, then they failed.

We have no developed depth at QB behind TA....We will have none next year behind Lee (if he starts). If Langs stays, and POB wins the job (2018) we are looking at 2019 before we have an experienced starter in Langs system( more than one tear starter) with all Rileys guys........ Best case scenario IMO, is POB wins starting job in 2017 or Gebbia......

I don't think it is smart to assume a QB is not developed if he has no playing experience. I see plenty of first year starters around the country that are plenty developed and ready to play when they hit the field.

If our coaches are any good (jury is still out, imo), POB has developed this year and would next year as a back-up, should that be his role.

Isn't Hurt from Alabama a freshman?

Yeah...dude can run like a boss too.

Things were different. He had Armstrong, Fife, Bush & Darlington. They were real high on Bush at that time.

• Fire 1

Ah, the mythical Tom Brady 3rd string QB we have waiting in the depths. It was widely reported that POB wasn't the 2nd, or 3rd,best option we had a qb in the early half of the season. Now the wheels fall off and he is the second coming of Christ. Step away from the ledge. We are what we are and until we have an offensive line that can even get a hand on people it's not going to matter who is back there.

• Fire 1

The gap from Tommy to POB is closer than many want to admit. POB is better than Fyfe. That doesnt mean POB is better than Tommy. That's not what I said. But his redshirt year is a huge curveball in this dynamic. In this situation moreso than others, you really wanna save that year, cuz Tanner Lee is the best qb on the team, and it's really not even close, at least from what I heard during fall camp. You have to really gauge the position of the team and the mental makeup, the longevity of Tommy's injury on top of numerous other factors to determine if it's really worth at this point pulling a shirt. I dont think it is at this point.

• Fire 1

There's 3 games left in the season, and we have zero chance of winning the conference. It's not worth burning POB's redshirt now.

Is it worth going 0-3 the rest of the way with Barnie Fyfe. You seen last year he couldnt beat at BAD BAD Purdue team. We lose these 3 with Fyfe and that puts us dropping 5 in a row. Hows that going to sit in your belly.

Now of course thats if Tommy cant go. But I am sure he wont this week.

The gap from Tommy to POB is closer than many want to admit. POB is better than Fyfe. That doesnt mean POB is better than Tommy. That's not what I said. But his redshirt year is a huge curveball in this dynamic. In this situation moreso than others, you really wanna save that year, cuz Tanner Lee is the best qb on the team, and it's really not even close, at least from what I heard during fall camp. You have to really gauge the position of the team and the mental makeup, the longevity of Tommy's injury on top of numerous other factors to determine if it's really worth at this point pulling a shirt. I dont think it is at this point.

Yeah, I was one of those who wanted to see POB earlier in the season. It wouldn't make sense to burn his shirt now, two thirds of the way through, unless we absolutely are forced to. Even if POB had played (or does play) I'm not sure that he is mobile enough to deal with our porous O-line. Tommy's ability to tuck and run forces the LBs and DBs to keep track of him. And Tommy rolls out and runs for his life on nearly every pass play. Can O-Brien do that? I guess we won't know until next year, at this point.

Yeah, I was one of those who wanted to see POB earlier in the season. It wouldn't make sense to burn his shirt now, two thirds of the way through, unless we absolutely are forced to. Even if POB had played (or does play) I'm not sure that he is mobile enough to deal with our porous O-line. Tommy's ability to tuck and run forces the LBs and DBs to keep track of him. And Tommy rolls out and runs for his life on nearly every pass play. Can O-Brien do that? I guess we won't know until next year, at this point.

i dont think POB could right now, no. Esp saturday. Also have to meaure the "throwing to the wolves" factor. You dont wanna ruin the kid in a game that is already lost. Fyfe is gone after this year. POB could very well be your future. Even if Lee plays two years, POB could have two after after 3 years of development (im pretty sure POB has'nt been exlusively on the scout team this year).

POB is not a statue though either. While his mobility is not that of Tommy, you also have to take into account styles of play. maybe POB can do a better job of just moving in hte pocket AND finding the open route. His high school vids have numerous highlights of him running RPO's, zone reads, and designed keeps. I know it's high school. but it shows he's capable of moving around. If you just watch his high school hudl and Tommy's high school hudl, you can see the difference in each player. Tommy has always been run'n'chuck. POB has the rep of delivering crisp, on time balls even in the face or pressure and good movement within the pocket.

This is not comparing the guys directly. It's just a comparison of their styles and why one can be just as good if not better than the other, since so many have this false idea that our next handful of quarterbacks under this staff will be statues completely incapable of moving around like a Brady or Manning. If you watch across college football there's no true statues anymore. All these qb's are decent enough athletes to serviceably move around enough to be effective, even in the most conventional of styles. So dont be scared of not having Tommy's ability to scramble around, when it's very possible the next guy could have the ability to read and get the ball out before he even has to move.

Hmmm

Tanner Lee may have what 2 years but 1 for sure.

POB will have 4 years but if Lee starts 1 or 2 years then thats 1-2 years off POB's playing time.

Gebbia will redshirt and some how try to compete in there in the up coming years.

Darrlington but will never see the field at QB or WR, thats becoming more apparent.

Which one of those 2 younger guys sticks it out and doesn't transfer. My bet is on POB.

Hmmm

Tanner Lee may have what 2 years but 1 for sure.

POB will have 4 years but if Lee starts 1 or 2 years then thats 1-2 years off POB's playing time.

Gebbia will redshirt and some how try to compete in there in the up coming years.

Darrlington but will never see the field at QB or WR, thats becoming more apparent.

Which one of those 2 younger guys sticks it out and doesn't transfer. My bet is on POB.

I really like POB cuz the guy is already a brick shithouse.

I wouldnt completely eliminate Darlington's PT. He's only a soph. Two more years. Has a already a full year of development at the position. And we're losing a bit for next year. I think he very well could wind up being in the mix for some legit reps next year.

It really really sucks that we are in the situation with:

4 year starter that is injured

#2 QB that just isn't good enough to get it done.

True freshman QB that we don't want to burn the redshirt on with 3 games left (plus bowl)

Possibly good QB that isn't eligible to play

The fact that Stanton and Bush didn't pan out is really really biting us in the ass right now.

It really really sucks that we are in the situation with:

4 year starter that is injured

#2 QB that just isn't good enough to get it done.

True freshman QB that we don't want to burn the redshirt on with 3 games left (plus bowl)

Possibly good QB that isn't eligible to play

The fact that Stanton and Bush didn't pan out is really really biting us in the ass right now.

What about the Joe Burrow situation? LOL. All they had to do was embrace, just a little. LOL

How frickin odd what that whole deal. That dude went right out there and marched 98 yards on us, with the guy who f'd up the recruitment here, when he wanted to be here, as his position coach.