Why are a Lot of Us Giving Up?

I don't think we are giving up, but it's discouraging to see NU suffer the 2nd worst loss (in terms of scoring margin) in program history. After last year's debacle of a season, a lot were encouraged by the start of this year's team. But, last night showed how far NU has to go to compete at a top level. That competition is in terms of talent and coaching.

I don't think the coaching is nearly as bad as many people think. We simply don't have the talent to compete with the Ohio St's and Alambama's of college football and our offensive line is really banged up. It's hard to win games when your line is trashed.

The talent difference is not so drastic to get beat 62-3. As far as a talent aspect, we're right in line with Wisconsin who was able to take Ohio St. to overtime. I know Ohio St. is talented, but coaching certainly deserves a lot of the blame last night

• Fire 2

This "SKY is Falling" BS is getting old from this board. All you guys do is whine about how bad the coaching is and how bad the guys played. Did any of you actually play the game or are you just keyboard warriors. We don't have the same talent as OSU, Bama, or Michigan, thats the facts. We can get there, but we are behind by 10+ years. Our depth isn't where it needs to be yet. Those teams have 4*'s waiting to play behind their 5*'s. We have 3-4*'s starting with Walk-ons behind them. This is the right staff that we need right now. Get over yourself and start acting like true fan. Fans suffering from PTSD, are f'ing kidding me???

• Fire 2

This "SKY is Falling" BS is getting old from this board. All you guys do is whine about how bad the coaching is and how bad the guys played. Did any of you actually play the game or are you just keyboard warriors. We don't have the same talent as OSU, Bama, or Michigan, thats the facts. We can get there, but we are behind by 10+ years. Our depth isn't where it needs to be yet. Those teams have 4*'s waiting to play behind their 5*'s. We have 3-4*'s starting with Walk-ons behind them. This is the right staff that we need right now. Get over yourself and start acting like true fan. Fans suffering from PTSD, are f'ing kidding me???

It fell along time ago, some of us would like to see it rebuilt before we die.

I don't think we are giving up, but it's discouraging to see NU suffer the 2nd worst loss (in terms of scoring margin) in program history. After last year's debacle of a season, a lot were encouraged by the start of this year's team. But, last night showed how far NU has to go to compete at a top level. That competition is in terms of talent and coaching.

I don't think the coaching is nearly as bad as many people think. We simply don't have the talent to compete with the Ohio St's and Alambama's of college football and our offensive line is really banged up. It's hard to win games when your line is trashed.

The talent difference is not so drastic to get beat 62-3. As far as a talent aspect, we're right in line with Wisconsin who was able to take Ohio St. to overtime. I know Ohio St. is talented, but coaching certainly deserves a lot of the blame last night

There's a great degree of variance in any factors that play into how a football game would go. Ohio State is a LOT more talented than we are. You can't put it to a point differential, but it's pretty vast. They also probably have better coaching and a more cutthroat commitment to perfection/excellence. They also needed to make a statement to the playoff committee after three weeks of bad, uninspired football. They also benefitted from a lucky bounce early in the game, and the snowball started rolling.

Sports are notoriously unpredictable which is the whole point of why they exist and why we love them. After Wisconsin, Nebraska fans pretty much unanimously felt confident that, "Hey, we took Wiscy to overtime, surely we can hang with the Buckeyes too!" Any time we all agree on something like that, reality can be a cruel and sadistic bitch in how it proves us wrong.

I saw everything I needed to about this staff last night. We were beat in EVERY facet of the game. To be brutually honest, we have sunk to a mid-tier status and we are being led by mid-tier coaches.

Love my Huskers, and I'll still watch every game with my fullest enthusiasm, but I really believe we're going to have to wait for the next coaching staff before we can hope to get back to being a continual conference and someday playoff contender.

Obviously it'd be ridiculous to fire Riley right now, but in 3-4 years when we're still in the same place, I hope we actually put in the money to get a proven head coach. When we cut corners, we pay for it both on the field and in the buy-outs. I'm waiting for an administration that actually shows it has a commitment to winning at a high level.

Because this program has been unable to get out of second gear for the last 15 years. Every time it seems like we're on the cusp of turning the corner, we become our own worst enemy. Last night's game, for me, was crippling. I don't think anybody went into last night expecting to win, but I think the collective attitude was that we'd at least be in the ball game. To suffer the second worst loss in program history in prime time was just an absolutely devastating blow to the program.

This team has not won a game of any sort of significance in almost two decades. We have the money, we have the facilities, we have the fan support, but somehow we just can't seem to ever get our of our own way.

I think that the next couple years are going to be important for the program. Toward the end of the Pelini regime, we were teetering on complacency and apathy. I think last night's defeat moved the needle back that way.

I am 49 years old so I have seen the highs and lows of this program. I scream and yell when I think things are going right or going wrong. What i don't do is pretend to know better then someone that has been in the coaching business for more than 30 years. I can remember all the preseason chatter and NOBODY thought we could win this game. I would say 90% of this board felt we would lose to Wiscy and OSU. In fact, most of this board thought we would also lose to NW and Minn. So again, it is only the second loss of the season, wait until it is all played out before you whine and cry about your PTSD!!!

• Fire 1

From my point of view, I knew Billy C was a bad fit for Nebraska, and I had to suffer until he was fired. I was then very hopeful. TO was AD, Bo put together ferocious defenses, we lost the BIG XII championship by one second, then were robbed of the BIG XII championship against TaM by the refs. I was very optimistic when we joined the BIG. And things looked great, we won our division and were facing a 5 loss team in the championship game, then the wheels fell off. I don't know if it was the loss of Sanders or Carl, or Bo's stubbornness, but our D was gone. After suffering humiliating blowouts, we get a chance for a new coach, and we hire a career 500 coach and that coach hires his cronies instead of the best assistants possible. That was a huge kick in the gut. Then we hear about there being no need to re-build, that we will win now, and we have a losing season with losses to Purdue and Illinois. Then this year we have hope again, 7-0, and an OT loss to Wisconsin, and Lucy pulls the football away again, and we get a curb stomp on national TV, confirming all my doubts about this staff. My desperation arises from a lack of faith that this staff can get the job done, and a lack of faith that if the staff is ever replaced, that another poor coach will be hired.

• Fire 3

From my point of view, I knew Billy C was a bad fit for Nebraska, and I had to suffer until he was fired. I was then very hopeful. TO was AD, Bo put together ferocious defenses, we lost the BIG XII championship by one second, then were robbed of the BIG XII championship against TaM by the refs. I was very optimistic when we joined the BIG. And things looked great, we won our division and were facing a 5 loss team in the championship game, then the wheels fell off. I don't know if it was the loss of Sanders or Carl, or Bo's stubbornness, but our D was gone. After suffering humiliating blowouts, we get a chance for a new coach, and we hire a career 500 coach and that coach hires his cronies instead of the best assistants possible. That was a huge kick in the gut. Then we hear about there being no need to re-build, that we will win now, and we have a losing season with losses to Purdue and Illinois. Then this year we have hope again, 7-0, and an OT loss to Wisconsin, and Lucy pulls the football away again, and we get a curb stomp on national TV, confirming all my doubts about this staff. My desperation arises from a lack of faith that this staff can get the job done, and a lack of faith that if the staff is ever replaced, that another poor coach will be hired.

My concern is that this fan base never gets past its sense of entitlement and continues to fail to enjoy what they have.

So Indiana, penn state and Northwestern are head and shoulders above Nebraska in talent???

Obviously so through your thought process as those teams all were in position to (and penn state did) win in the fourth quarter.

Yes there is a talent discrepancy between NU and OSU, but to turn a deaf ear to those concerned with some coaching is funny based on how those three schools didn't get stomped by 59

• Fire 1

My concern is that this fan base never gets past its sense of entitlement and continues to fail to enjoy what they have.

I absolutely believe that I am entitled to never have my Huskers lose 62-3, or give up 408 yards rushing to a single player in three quarters. I will never get past that.

• Fire 2

So Indiana, penn state and Northwestern are head and shoulders above Nebraska in talent???

Obviously so through your thought process as those teams all were in position to (and penn state did) win in the fourth quarter.

Yes there is a talent discrepancy between NU and OSU, but to turn a deaf ear to those concerned with some coaching is funny based on how those three schools didn't get stomped by 59

Last night was an abortion on all accounts, including having our QB knocked unconscious. I think they have looked well coached in games through the season though, but last night was not one of them. Things snowballed in a hurry on them.

I don't think we can say that the coaching is poor because of last night. I think they've done a solid job this season with the lack of talent on the lines and a mediocre QB, while trying to run a makeshift offense that the coaches aren't familiar with. There's a middle ground here.

• Fire 1