Armstrong Still a Possibility for Minnesota Game

Mavric

If Armstrong is cleared to play, Fyfe still starts and will play until Minnesota causes him to turn it over twice. Then Tommy comes in.

As I posted in your status update, there's no way you can do that as a coach. If TA can play he starts. If he can't start he doesn't play. Why? Because if he can't start it means he can't play. There's no gray area in concussions. Either you are cleared or you aren't.

I understand if he's cleared he can play.

But, if he is just skating past the line to play they may consider letting him sit unless actually needed to get the win. Why risk longer term injury against Minnesota if we don't have to? Maybe he's cleared, but he isn't playing well enough to start yet from some lingering effects. It's just not that black and white.

If Armstrong is cleared to play, Fyfe still starts and will play until Minnesota causes him to turn it over twice. Then Tommy comes in.

As I posted in your status update, there's no way you can do that as a coach. If TA can play he starts. If he can't start he doesn't play. Why? Because if he can't start it means he can't play. There's no gray area in concussions. Either you are cleared or you aren't.

But, if he is just skating past the line to play they may consider letting him sit unless actually needed to get the win. Why risk longer term injury against Minnesota if we don't have to? Maybe he's cleared, but he isn't playing well enough to start yet from some lingering effects. It's just not that black and white.

Actually, concussion protocol is pretty black and white. Either he's cleared to play or he's not.

Actually, concussion protocol is pretty black and white. Either he's cleared to play or he's not.

The point being made is that even if he passes the protocol - there could be reason to still hold him out, unless they decide they need him for the win at some point during the game.

The point being made is that even if he passes the protocol - there could be reason to still hold him out, unless they decide they need him for the win at some point during the game.

If he passes the protocol he starts. I see no reason to even contemplate sitting him "unless needed". What would that reason be?

If he passes the protocol he starts. I see no reason to even contemplate sitting him "unless needed". What would that reason be?

If he has some lingering fatigue or vertigo/dizzyness. If he isn't cleared before he can practice at all, how do they know what his actual status is? Or say he gets cleared tomorrow, then during practice it's clear he isn't all there yet.

If he has some lingering fatigue or vertigo/dizzyness. If he isn't cleared before he can practice at all, how do they know what his actual status is? Or say he gets cleared tomorrow, then during practice it's clear he isn't all there yet.

This just isn't how the concussion protocol works. He will not have any symptoms if he is cleared through the protocol. I don't know why people aren't listening or reading the link from Sam McKewon's tweet.

If he is cleared, he is good to go 100%. There is no other way to do it in concussion protocol. I don't know how much clearer the multiple posters in this thread can make this.

This just isn't how the concussion protocol works. He will not have any symptoms if he is cleared through the protocol. I don't know why people aren't listening or reading the link from Sam McKewon's tweet.

If he is cleared, he is good to go 100%. There is no other way to do it in concussion protocol. I don't know how much clearer the multiple posters in this thread can make this.

Thank you.

This is purely anecdotal, but I was knocked unconscious in a similar way and was cleared to practice/compete 72 hours later. Although there's probably a much higher level of scrutiny now when it comes to post-concussion clearances, and doctors are probably much more cautious now versus then, I wouldn't be shocked if he played on Saturday.

Thank you.

You're welcome!

That's all fine and dandy. Concussions are also a hot button issue in football, so I'm leery to assume that this protocol is infalable.

That's all fine and dandy. Concussions are also a hot button issue in football, so I'm leery to assume that this protocol is infalable.

Read the guidelines.

Basically, every year, all athletes undergo a concussion test. This sets their baseline. In order to begin the step-wise evaluation, they must pass the test administered to the standard of their baseline. If he has any sort of vertigo or dizzyness, he wouldn't even begin the step-wise evaluation.

Once the step-wise eval starts, he'll begin practicing at reduce level. During this time, he'll continued to be asked about all the symptom questions, and also continue be evaluated on his original base-line.

He will not be cleared to play until he reaches the final step and passes the evaluation. If he is cleared to play, then he will start. If he isn't cleared to play, then he will sit.

So to your original point, the possibility that Fyfe would start, and Tommy would come in at the event of Fyfe failing just isn't possible.