Trump's cabinet

If they're folding and vacillating in order to not get a Twitter rebuke...then I would question if they're good people to begin with.

FWIW, I share your sentiment about McCain. He's a good man. I wish he wouldn't have sold out on the Maverick narrative to pick someone so horribly vetted as Palin. Story I heard was he actually wanted Joe Lieberman, but the party thought it was politically untenable since Lieberman believed in abortion and had a slew of other liberal views. So they forced Palin on him without properly vetting her.

McCain/Lieberman would have been an excellent combo--the former is a moderate that skews conservative, the latter a moderate that skews liberal.

The joke is that unfortunately, voting has become an exercise in pandering to the fringes of either group, and the educated voter that strives for moderation and can rationally find compromise is rejected because they've become disenfranchised and don't go to the polls...and they've become disenfranchised because politicians (e.g. Trump) go after the fringe voters, rinse, repeat ad nauseam.

If they're folding and vacillating in order to not get a Twitter rebuke...then I would question if they're good people to begin with.

FWIW, I share your sentiment about McCain. He's a good man. I wish he wouldn't have sold out on the Maverick narrative to pick someone so horribly vetted as Palin. Story I heard was he actually wanted Joe Lieberman, but the party thought it was politically untenable since Lieberman believed in abortion and had a slew of other liberal views. So they forced Palin on him without properly vetting her.

McCain/Lieberman would have been an excellent combo--the former is a moderate that skews conservative, the latter a moderate that skews liberal.

The joke is that unfortunately, voting has become an exercise in pandering to the fringes of either group, and the educated voter that strives for moderation and can rationally find compromise is rejected because they've become disenfranchised and don't go to the polls...and they've become disenfranchised because politicians (e.g. Trump) go after the fringe voters, rinse, repeat ad nauseam.

Speaking of surrounding yourself with somewhat dissenting opinions for the sake of having discussions...

I caught a couple minutes of celebrity apprentice with Arnold last night. He was quoting Lincoln and talking about how he surrounded himself/cabinet with his opposition for the sake of discussion and differing view points. Arny talked about how it was important to have people who are not "yes men" so you can analyze a situation from multiple angles. It made me chuckle that he's replacing Donald on that show, and he has such a polar opposite approach to life and buisness. Talk about someone who really had to work for their success and fame.

I respect the hell out of Arnold despite his human flaws. For the most part he is the definition of the America dream. An immigrant son of a police officer, he came to this country and started his own buisness multiple times, literally sculpted himself into what he wanted to be, broke through into Hollywood and became a big star, then went on to serve the people in government, and continues to give back to the public in many ways.

Trump Just Dismissed the People in Charge of Maintaining our Nuclear Arsenal

TL;DR: Most appointed positions resign at noon on Inauguration day but essential positions (like the people who maintain our nukes) typically stay on until their replacements are found to provide a smooth transition. No appointed heads of the NNSA (National Nuclear Security Administration) means no one is there to advocate for them when we draw up a budget.

I don't understand why he'd do this besides petty vindictiveness. I guess he'd rather purge Obama employees than have a functioning nuclear program. This is an example of his management style leading him down a bad road.

Dismissing the people in charge of the nukes. Selecting Rick Perry as Secretary of Energy, a position where the last 4 were Ivy League, MIT educated nuclear physicists.

So how do you Trumpeters and GOPers reconcile this?

Bump

"Trump Cabinet picks' ethics disclosures lag behind Obama's"

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/trump-cabinet-ethics-disclosures-233373

"Of the nine Donald Trump Cabinet picks who were to head to Capitol Hill for confirmation hearings this week, only six have reached agreements with the independent Office of Government Ethics to resolve potential ethical conflicts stemming from their personal finances, according to a POLITICO review of public records. By contrast, all seven of Barack Obama’s Cabinet selections facing confirmation hearings at this point in the process in 2009 had already signed ethics agreements."

Letter Written By MLK’s Widow That Blasted Jeff Sessions Is Missing

In 1986, as the Senate was considering the nomination of Jefferson Beauregard Sessions for federal judge, Coretta Scott King wrote an impassioned plea to the members of the Judiciary Committee.

Sessions, whose nomination had initially seemed routine, was suddenly on the ropes after witnesses accused him of using racial slurs and using his position as a US attorney to target civil rights activists in Alabama.

The letter would become a key part of the case against Sessions, who would ultimately be defeated when his home state senator, the late Howell Heflin, shocked the Senate and voted against the confirmation.

Judiciary Committee Chairman Strom Thurmond never put the letter into the congressional record, and its contents are largely unknown. But in the only line that has been made public — published in June 1986 by Knight Ridder reporter Aaron Epstein — King made clear her opposition to Sessions’ nomination.

“For a century, the racial practices that characterized our region were established and enforced by men who, like Mr. Sessions, protested that they, too, were not personally hostile to blacks,” King’s letter said, according to Epstein’s dispatch.

So a letter written by the widow of America's greatest civil rights warrior is "missing" and won't be released by the Republicans.

That's convenient.

For a century, the racial practices that characterized our region were established and enforced by men who, like Mr. Sessions, protested that they, too, were not personally hostile to blacks.

I think this really resonates. It's good that this sentiment did survive, and it applies a lot to today. Few would consider themselves hostile to blacks, but in order for such an assertion to hold up, we have to consider their support, hostility, or impartiality to certain policy practices.

Donald Trump met Tuesday with Robert F. Kennedy Jr., a prominent skeptic of vaccines for children, and asked him to chair a new commission on vaccine safety and scientific integrity, suggesting that the president-elect continues to believe a widely discredited theory that vaccines cause autism.

Speaking to reporters in the lobby of Trump Tower on Tuesday, Kennedy said that Trump called him to request the meeting, and he accepted the position on the new commission. It is unclear exactly what role the commission would play.

Link

So we have a Kennedy with no medical degree heading up Vaccines & Safety commission? Thats just rich. At least Trump is being consistent with appointing people to positions that have zero qualifications

Vaccinations are a hot button for me. Its absolutely irresponsible to give anyone the idea that its safe to opt out of these.

• Fire 1

At least Trump is being consistent with appointing people to positions that have zero qualifications

It's not that they don't have qualifications, it's that they specifically have qualifications that are against the very positions they're being put into.

An anti-vaxxer heading up the Vaccines & Safety Commission.

An opponent of public schools heading the Dept. of Education.

A climate change denier heading up the EPA.

It's like he's purposefully trying to make government dysfunctional.

I am in no way supporting this appointment. I believe vaccines are vital to public health and to do away with them is just plain idiotic.

However, IF we are going to have a commission on vaccine's and their safety, having a person head the commission that is skeptical of vaccines is no different than having someone who is from the industry and has supported vaccines. That would be similar to appointing someone from the oil industry to study if oil drilling practices are safe.

It's possible to find someone that can do that. But, it takes a very special person who can come from an industry and have an open mind.

My issue is that this person seems to have no medical back ground. How in the hell is someone supposed to understand medical scientific data...etc. with no formal training in the field?

No, it'd be like appointing someone who is against drilling for oil and wants us to convert entirely to solar.

I'm actually less concerned with their medical background as long as they're going to put qualified people in place to run the day-to-day business of the agency. The Agency head is mostly a CEO, not often a decision-maker.

• Fire 1

However, IF we are going to have a commission on vaccine's and their safety, having a person head the commission that is skeptical of vaccines is no different than having someone who is from the industry and has supported vaccines. That would be similar to appointing someone from the oil industry to study if oil drilling practices are safe.

Skepticism is fine if you have some basis for it. However, he has no rational reason to be believe that vaccines cause autism given the scientific data we currently have. This appointment is similar to appointing someone who believes water causes cancer to lead a commission on water safety.

• Fire 1

I think you misunderstood the context of my sentence.

Or, I wrote it poorly....which would not be surprising.

No, it'd be like appointing someone who is against drilling for oil and wants us to convert entirely to solar.

Skepticism is fine if you have some basis for it. However, he has no rational reason to be believe that vaccines cause autism given the scientific data we currently have. This appointment is similar to appointing someone who believes water causes cancer to lead a commission on water safety.

To be clear, I'm not supporting him being hired for this job.