Langsdorf on Offensive Identity

Mavric

Offensive identity against IOWA: YOLO....go long.

Not quite. Multiple times receivers had 3-5 yards on the db's and the qb just didn't execute. Can't fault a coordinator for lack of execution on plays that worked the way they were designed to. Also, can't fault a coordinator for deciding to throw 40 yards down field when another receiver running a crossing route is wide open. Plays are called by people who understand the game (not someone who just watches where the ball goes on a tv screen), they have to be executed by players.
I'll second this. On every YOLO throw, our receivers had the step on the defender, and a better - thrown ball would have changed the game completely.

True. If only we had a QB who could use the abundance of talent at the WR position.....TA had no business playing last night. He was beat up and broke down. I applaud his efforts and commend him for trying. Gutsy kid.

So I'm curious, when it's 3rd and long, and Tommy is given the long fly route play downfield... is he encouraged to take the short or intermediate route receivers underneath? Why does it seem that Tommy throws 'the bomb' at every opportunity? Is that his decision or has Langsdorf already made that call?? or is Tommy just never seeing/taking the short route option??

I really feel, that if we get a more talented passer back there, that they could better distribute the ball around, keep teams more off balance... just toss it downfield when it's truly open (and have the ability to make it at least 50% of the time). It's just unfortunate that we're losing so many talented receivers/TE's next season. I sure hope we have some great talent which will fill in the holes.

We had so much receiving talent this year, it seems if we could just get the ball to them consistently, they could then be making the plays.

So I'm curious, when it's 3rd and long, and Tommy is given the long fly route play downfield... is he encouraged to take the short or intermediate route receivers underneath? Why does it seem that Tommy throws 'the bomb' at every opportunity? Is that his decision or has Langsdorf already made that call?? or is Tommy just never seeing/taking the short route option??

I really feel, that if we get a more talented passer back there, that they could better distribute the ball around, keep teams more off balance... just toss it downfield when it's truly open (and have the ability to make it at least 50% of the time). It's just unfortunate that we're losing so many talented receivers/TE's next season. I sure hope we have some great talent which will fill in the holes.

We had so much receiving talent this year, it seems if we could just get the ball to them consistently, they could then be making the plays.

I think a lot of the deep passes we saw yesterday were a combination of things.

1) Tommy isn't great at going through his progressions, so when he sees one on one coverage on a deep route, he is going to take that chance.

2) Tommy knows the o-line isn't that great, and he was limited in his mobility, so he didn't want to take the chance of getting hit/sacked, so he didn't want to go through a number of progressions. He was going with his first/pre-snap read.

3) Tommy was probably limited in practice this week so he probably didn't practice much against the scout team to see what receivers would be open against certain Iowa coverages.

I think a lot of the deep passes we saw yesterday were a combination of things.

1) Tommy isn't great at going through his progressions, so when he sees one on one coverage on a deep route, he is going to take that chance.

2) Tommy knows the o-line isn't that great, and he was limited in his mobility, so he didn't want to take the chance of getting hit/sacked, so he didn't want to go through a number of progressions. He was going with his first/pre-snap read.

3) Tommy was probably limited in practice this week so he probably didn't practice much against the scout team to see what receivers would be open against certain Iowa coverages.

Thats just TA. Always has been and always will be. He has an uncanny ability to not make progressions, not see the coverage underneath and not see Carter in the seem, or Westy alone in the end zone......He also has the ability to make some amazing plays..... He was injured last night. Shouldn't have been playing IMO and ultimately hurt the team, whether his choice or Langs, but it hurt more than it helped. As soon as it was clear TA couldnt run, Fyfe or Darlington should have gone in.