Trump's America

zoogs

Not sure if this has been posted yet - Romney tees off on Trump and hits a hole in one.  Romney's editorial sounds almost like an opening shot at challenging Trump

in 2020.  Wish he would or someone else.   No doubt after reading this who I would prefer in office.

https://www.stamfordadvocate.com/opinion/article/How-a-president-shapes-the-public-character-13502232.php

The Trump presidency made a deep descent in December. The departures of Defense Secretary Jim Mattis and White House Chief of Staff John Kelly, the appointment of senior persons of lesser experience, the abandonment of allies who fight beside us, and the president's thoughtless claim that America has long been a "sucker" in world affairs all defined his presidency down.

It is well known that Donald Trump was not my choice for the Republican presidential nomination. After he became the nominee, I hoped his campaign would refrain from resentment and name-calling. It did not. When he won the election, I hoped he would rise to the occasion. His early appointments of Rex Tillerson, Jeff Sessions, Nikki Haley, Gary Cohn, H.R. McMaster, Kelly and Mattis were encouraging. But, on balance, his conduct over the past two years, particularly his actions this last month, is evidence that the president has not risen to the mantle of the office.

It is not that all of the president's policies have been misguided. He was right to align U.S. corporate taxes with those of global competitors, to strip out excessive regulations, to crack down on China's unfair trade practices, to reform criminal justice and to appoint conservative judges. These are policies mainstream Republicans have promoted for years. But policies and appointments are only a part of a presidency.

To a great degree, a presidency shapes the public character of the nation. A president should unite us and inspire us to follow "our better angels." A president should demonstrate the essential qualities of honesty and integrity, and elevate the national discourse with comity and mutual respect. As a nation, we have been blessed with presidents who have called on the greatness of the American spirit. With the nation so divided, resentful and angry, presidential leadership in qualities of character is indispensable. And it is in this province where the incumbent's shortfall has been most glaring.

The world is also watching. America has long been looked to for leadership. Our economic and military strength was part of that, of course, but our enduring commitment to principled conduct in foreign relations, and to the rights of all people to freedom and equal justice, was even more esteemed. Trump's words and actions have caused dismay around the world. In a 2016 Pew Research Center poll, 84 percent of people in Germany, Britain, France, Canada and Sweden believed the American president would "do the right thing in world affairs." One year later, that number had fallen to 16 percent.

10 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Not sure if this has been posted yet - Romney tees off on Trump and hits a hole in one.  Romney's editorial sounds almost like an opening shot at challenging Trump

in 2020.  Wish he would or someone else.   No doubt after reading this who I would prefer in office.

https://www.stamfordadvocate.com/opinion/article/How-a-president-shapes-the-public-character-13502232.php

And, I'm getting tired of these takes from the Democrats.

The easy way out?????  So, if a Republican supports Trump, they're trash.  If they come out and strongly criticize Trump, it's the "easy way out".   

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The easy way out?????  So, if a Republican supports Trump, they're trash.  If they come out and strongly criticize Trump, it's the "easy way out".   

:dunno Dammed if you do and dammed if you don't

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I think it is important to read the rest of his thread:

And Romney's words will ring hollow if he just enables Trump (i.e. Flake, Sasse, etc.).

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, QMany said:

I think it is important to read the rest of his thread:

And Romney's words will ring hollow if he just enables Trump (i.e. Flake, Sasse, etc.).

What the Democrat Mantra is becoming is that if you are a Republican and criticize Trump, but vote for Republican issues like tax cuts, you're "enabling" Trump and no better than he is.

Which, this is what I have an issue with.

I can support conservative issues and think Trump is a scum bag.  Dems seem to think that if you're a firm critic of Trump, then you should be voting with the Dems.  Well....sorry, that isn't going to happen unless the Dems attitudes change on issues.

There is a distinct separation between Trump and what I believe a conservative arm of the government should be working towards.  For some crazy reason, about 40% of the country thinks they are tied together.  If someone steps away from supporting Trump, another 40% of the country thinks they should automatically start supporting Democratic opinions.

10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

What the Democrat Mantra is becoming is that if you are a Republican and criticize Trump, but vote for Republican issues like tax cuts, you're "enabling" Trump and no better than he is.

Which, this is what I have an issue with.

Without getting into the results of the Trump Tax Cut (you know, the one that was supposed to benefit workers and the stock market), there is more than just voting in Republican lock-step. There are also Congressional oversight duties that have been abdicated, or even worse, used to conceal/defend Trump. After two-years of confirming Trump's grossly unqualified nominations, Flake feigned leverage as a lame duck to protect Mueller. (We still don't have legislation protecting Mueller). 

• Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, QMany said:

Without getting into the results of the Trump Tax Cut (you know, the one that was supposed to benefit workers and the stock market), there is more than just voting in Republican lock-step. There are also Congressional oversight duties that have been abdicated, or even worse, used to conceal/defend Trump. After two-years of confirming Trump's grossly unqualified nominations, Flake feigned leverage as a lame duck to protect Mueller. (We still don't have legislation protecting Mueller). 

There is very little Flake could do on his own on any of these issues.  You need to be looking at McConnell and Ryan.  There was no way in hell he would be able to get any bill through that would protect Mueller...etc.

And, your comments on the tax cuts are exactly what I'm talking about.  Republicans are going to push for tax cuts just like Democrats are going to push for tax increases.  That's going to happen 95% of the time.  That's because both parties have entrenched themselves into those opinions.

So, what you're saying is that if the Democrats elected a totally incompetent disgusting idiot but that idiot pushed through Corporate tax increases, medicare for all and free tuition for everyone.....any Democrat who votes for those issues, is enabling the disgusting idiot in the WH.

45 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

There is very little Flake could do on his own on any of these issues.  You need to be looking at McConnell and Ryan.  There was no way in hell he would be able to get any bill through that would protect Mueller...etc.

He could have had some morals and not voted for Bert...

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

All talk, zero action.

Or, for the Texass fans that happen to drunkenly stumble over to our site, all hat, no cattle. 

Until Romney takes action to rally the few remaining sane, moderate Republicans (in what is otherwise a party hijacked by religious fanaticism and catering to the LCD among their supporters), then this *is* the easy way out. Romey gets to stand up in a couple of years and say 'hey, I wrote a scathing editorial about Trump' and claims he did something...when in actuality all he has done is put into print what we've known for some time and little else. 

Romney has to stoke the fires within his own party for Trump's removal for this to mean anything--calling friends, starting a movement within the GOP to kick out Trump and the Tea Party/MAGA vermin that have infested it. Reset the GOP to the Eisenhower days (sans homophobia and racism), and you'd have a moderate party that would capture the election in a heartbeat. 

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

All talk, zero action.

Or, for the Texass fans that happen to drunkenly stumble over to our site, all hat, no cattle. 

Until Romney takes action to rally the few remaining sane, moderate Republicans (in what is otherwise a party hijacked by religious fanaticism and catering to the LCD among their supporters), then this *is* the easy way out. Romey gets to stand up in a couple of years and say 'hey, I wrote a scathing editorial about Trump' and claims he did something...when in actuality all he has done is put into print what we've known for some time and little else. 

Romney has to stoke the fires within his own party for Trump's removal for this to mean anything--calling friends, starting a movement within the GOP to kick out Trump and the Tea Party/MAGA vermin that have infested it. Reset the GOP to the Eisenhower days (sans homophobia and racism), and you'd have a moderate party that would capture the election in a heartbeat. 

So, someone who hasn't even started his term.....hasn't done enough.

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

So, someone who hasn't even started his term.....hasn't done enough.

Doesn't need a term to start doing something--what I suggested is something he could have done months ago.

And what action did Romney take prior to running to get Trump out when it became obvious Trump is unfit for the job (and likely compromised by foreign entities)?

5 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Doesn't need a term to start doing something--what I suggested is something he could have done months ago.

And what action did Romney take prior to running to get Trump out when it became obvious Trump is unfit for the job (and likely compromised by foreign entities)?

Can you tell me what private conversations he has had?

Also, I'm assuming you are talking about rallying troops to impeach Trump.

Now, many of us would be perfectly fine with that.  However, legally, I don't believe there are grounds for that yet until the Mueller investigation is complete. So, to say a Republican hasn't done enough to get Trump out of office.....is a little disingenuous until the official report is released and evidence is presented.....especially one that hasn't even been seated in congress yet.