Trump's America

zoogs

6 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Like, passing legislation to reopen government?  Agreed. She should do that.

Or, if you mean staying stateside to mitigate the damage of an out-of-control unqualified White House occupant, I agree with that, too.

-Yes.

- Yes.... in most instances. While I don't necessary believe it to be a national emergency,  I'm fine with the funding of the wall. It's a relatively small price tag considering some of the other items the government chooses to spend money on, and denying the funding is no more than political grandstanding, which is common in Washington (on both sides of course). Also, while some may not find it necessary, there's no sense in denying that it (the wall) would certainly serve as some sort of deterrent.

2 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

While some may not believe it to be necessary, it would certainly serve as a deterrent to illegal immigration. I mean, that's a given, right? 

No, it won't. We have hundreds of miles of border walls already, and illegal immigrants come through those walls, over those walls, around those walls and under those walls.

jQbzwyd.jpg

Why would any of these:

qWO6Dhf.jpg

Be more effective than this:

eUZ41pA.jpg

Further, why do we need to stop these immigrants?  How are they any different than the immigrants who came through Ellis Island?

6 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Further, why do we need to stop these immigrants?  How are they any different than the immigrants who came through Ellis Island?

So you're for open borders? I have no issue with letting them in legally, and in controlled, responsible numbers. I'm not really in support of  a massive influx of immigrants from any other country. Mainly for assimilation reasons (not singling out hispanics here). I can't speak for everyone, but personally it's always been about cultural assimilation for me.

1 minute ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

So you're for open borders?

This is like me asking if you're a xenophobe because you want a wall.

1 minute ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I have no issue with letting them in legally, and in controlled, responsible numbers.

Same.

2 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I'm not really in support of  a massive influx of immigrants from any other country. Mainly for assimilation reasons

Same.

55 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Like I added to the end of my previous post: 

While some may not believe it to be necessary, it would certainly serve as a deterrent to illegal immigration. I mean, that's a given, right?

Wouldn't a better deterrent to illegal immigration be to make it feasible for people to immigrate here? Every account I've heard of immigration to the US has sounded like an absolute nightmare.

We would avoid the cost of a pointless wall, gain tax revenue from those who would have come illegally, and foster a stronger sense of community across our population.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, mrandyk said:

Wouldn't a better deterrent to illegal immigration be to make it feasible for people to immigrate here? Every account I've heard of immigration to the US has sounded like an absolute nightmare.

We would avoid the cost of a pointless wall, gain tax revenue from those who would have come illegally, and foster a stronger sense of community across our population.

Why can't we do both?

Amnesty should absolutely not be on the table.

It's a little odd that people who embrace the word "conservative" would consider spending $50 billion and an additional layer of Big Government to marginally reduce a problem that's nowhere near as urgent as advertised. 

If we invested $50 billion in ANYTHING we could make it better. 

Why this? Why now? 

• Plus1 3
2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It's a little odd that people who embrace the word "conservative" would consider spending $50 billion and an additional layer of Big Government to marginally reduce a problem that's nowhere near as urgent as advertised. 

If we invested $50 billion in ANYTHING we could make it better. 

Why this? Why now? 

Great point.

Three years ago, conservatives believed we should have secure borders.

Two years ago, and continuing through today, some conservatives believe WE NEED TO BUILD A HUGE WALL ON THE BORDER URGENTLY!!!!1!!1!eleven!!!KERRRRANG!!!!!

That change can entirely be traced back to conservative media and Trump, which are not necessarily mutually exclusive.