Trump's America

zoogs

3 hours ago, Landlord said:

We don't have open borders.

This is what amazes me with arguments about this. Most Democrats are fine with the status quo when it comes to the border and immigration, or maybe some minor modifications, so Republicans say they want open borders.. :dunno

4 hours ago, Landlord said:

We don't have open borders.

According to Mr. Ortiz, they apprehended 453 people in one day, and not just those from Central America (Which is a whole other issue).

26 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

This is what amazes me with arguments about this. Most Democrats are fine with the status quo when it comes to the border and immigration, or maybe some minor modifications, so Republicans say they want open borders.. :dunno

The status quo isn't working. I'll take the word of  a man who handles the issue on a daily basis. It's pretty clear to me that you have a problem when you have people from the Middle East making an effort to get to Mexico, just to cross our southern border. Does that sound like it's working to you?

1 minute ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

According to Mr. Ortiz, they apprehended 453 people in one day, and not just those from Central America (Which is a whole other issue).

The status quo isn't working. I'll take the word of  a man who handles the issue on a daily basis. It's pretty clear to me that you have a problem when you have people from the Middle East making an effort to get to Mexico, just to cross our southern border. Does that sound like it's working to you?

I would say if CBP were able to apprehend that many people in a day, they are doing a good job and our borders are being protected pretty well.

Just now, StPaulHusker said:

I would say if CBP were able to apprehend that many people in a day, they are doing a good job and our borders are being protected pretty well.

If the borders were protected well enough, there wouldn't be 453 people trying to illegally cross in one day, in one area of the border.

1 minute ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

If the borders were protected well enough, there wouldn't be 453 people trying to illegally cross in one day, in one area of the border.

So this theoretical 50' wall is going to keep people from scaling it with a 51' ladder or digging under it?  Doubtful.  They will still find a way to cross.  So, to me, the $5B and likely more could be better used on other methods

• Plus1 1
Just now, StPaulHusker said:

So this theoretical 50' wall is going to keep people from scaling it with a 51' ladder or digging under it?  Doubtful.  They will still find a way to cross.  So, to me, the $5B and likely more could be better used on other methods

Mr. Ortiz seems to think it would be a deterrent. Like I said, I'll take his word for it, considering he has to deal with the problem everyday.

14 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Mr. Ortiz seems to think it would be a deterrent. Like I said, I'll take his word for it, considering he has to deal with the problem everyday.

The wall isn't going to do anything to even slow down immigration. As noted above, the vast majority of undocumented immigrants arrived in the US legally and the vast majority of illegal drug smuggling occurs at legal ports of entry, which the wall doesn't help with either of those. Plus, the wall can be easily breached:

All Eight Border Wall Prototypes Fail Breach Tests

Test of steel prototype for border wall showed it could be sawed through

1.jpg?1547470081

2 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Mr. Ortiz is quoted as saying where there is FENCING people illegally crossing accounts for around 6% of his apprehensions.  Where there is NO FENCING, is 94% of apprehensions.

So maybe, Mr Ortiz is not being completely honest in what he needs to protect his area.  Maybe the money for NEW FENCING that the Democrat House of Representatives already passed but Republican Mitch McConnell refuses to take to a vote in the Senate would do wonders for his area in decreasing the number of apprehensions where he protects.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

The wall isn't going to do anything to even slow down immigration. As noted above, the vast majority of undocumented immigrants arrived in the US legally and the vast majority of illegal drug smuggling occurs at legal ports of entry, which the wall doesn't help with either of those. Plus, the wall can be easily breached:

All Eight Border Wall Prototypes Fail Breach Tests

Test of steel prototype for border wall showed it could be sawed through

1.jpg?1547470081

A man who works there everyday seems to think it would be helpful.

1 minute ago, StPaulHusker said:

Mr. Ortiz is quoted as saying where there is FENCING people illegally crossing accounts for around 6% of his apprehensions.  Where there is NO FENCING, is 94% of apprehensions.

So maybe, Mr Ortiz is not being completely honest in what he needs to protect his area.  Maybe the money for NEW FENCING that the Democrat House of Representatives already passed but Republican Mitch McConnell refuses to take to a vote in the Senate would do wonders for his area in decreasing the number of apprehensions where he protects.

If you're going to approve fencing, why not just approve a wall? (political grandstanding is the answer) Sure, it may cost more money, but it will also be more effective, because it's a concrete/steel wall versus a fence. 

• Plus1 1