Trump's America

zoogs

So.....he supports federal funding being taken away from the university of Nebraska because they cancelled a speech by a liberal Obama supporter years ago. (Can’t remember his name)

this is is a prime example of his stupidity. And his inability to understand the phrase....careful what you wish for. 

He would support a football team at the university not standing for the anthem and rake away their funding if the university tries to force them to stand?

• Plus1 1

9 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Hayden is the guy who got punched by some other college student. 

This announcement is very frightening because the statement implies that a university could have funding taken away because one student punches another. Imagine how people in Trump’s admin would pick and choose which schools receive funding. To me it sounds like an excuse to defund schools.  

I think this might never come to pass, like a lot of things Trump says he’s going to do, but it’s not a good thing no matter how he phrases it. It’s like when people like Pence or Cruz talk about religious freedom. What they really mean is Christian immunity. 

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/03/02/politics/trump-executive-order-colleges-free-speech/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F

It's another toothless EO that will get slapped down or never actually do anything because "supporting free speech" is incredibly vague and no one is going to bother to try to set actual guidelines for this.

The problem with this, as is the case for almost everything Trump and the other d-bags in his administration support, they want to pick and choose winners and losers. Conservatives must be heard, or liberals will pay. That's what this is.

• Plus1 2

UNL already has freedom of speech, and the support of it, specifically mentioned in several policies and official university statements, and the concept is intertwined into various other policies as well. The university I work for also expresses support for freedom of speech in multiple different policies. For example, our harassment and discrimination policy specifically says: "this policy will not be enforced so as to infringe upon First Amendment rights, including the right to academic freedom." And the very concept of free speech is paramount in academic circles when it comes to freedom to conduct research and teach. I hear about academic freedom every single day. I can only imagine that most other, if not all other, colleges and universities have similar statements already written into their policies. 

Whatever order Trump is talking about signing is:

1) certain to be ignorant of the actual policies, practices, and culture of academia

2) certain to be poorly written

3) intended to do something other than what he is claiming

It reminds me of the initiative several years back (I want to say 2000?) in Nebraska (and many other states) to define marriage as between a man and a woman. Since gay marriage was actually not legal yet, such a law actually changed nothing other than preventing future initiatives from moving forward (without years of legal battles) and only achieved the message that certain people are not regarded as equal in society. I would guess that an executive order from Trump in support of free speech would have some underlying motive, since a proclamation for free speech on its own would not do anything (since universities by and large already support free speech in policy in practice, and we still have this thing called the First Amendment which is still a part of the Constitution and all). 

Free speech is not threatened. Not by the left anyway. This is just a distraction, or to use Trump's own words, bull$h!t.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, Ulty said:

It reminds me of the initiative several years back (I want to say 2000?) in Nebraska (and many other states) to define marriage as between a man and a woman. Since gay marriage was actually not legal yet, such a law actually changed nothing other than preventing future initiatives from moving forward (without years of legal battles) and only achieved the message that certain people are not regarded as equal in society.

Which also reminds me of the North Carolina bathroom law which got everyone all riled up about transgenders kidnapping their girls out of bathroom stalls and raping/murdering them.

2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Which also reminds me of the North Carolina bathroom law which got everyone all riled up about transgenders kidnapping their girls out of bathroom stalls and raping/murdering them.

When apparently all one needed to do was take their children to a Church (Baptist or Catholic...so far) and it would happen. 

• Plus1 3

54 minutes ago, RedNebraskan said:

Is this an impeachable offense?

If there is a direct connection between T-mobile spending the money there and the merger getting passed? Yes.

But, we'll most likely be left to our own imaginations.  Some will think its absolutely horrible while others shrug it off.  

• Plus1 3