Trump's America

zoogs

14 minutes ago, teachercd said:

No, like I said, I see what you are going for but you are the one that said this...

And no, you don’t go around firing people who don’t like you or disagree with you. That’s most definitely NOT good leadership. That’s authoritarianism.  

Were you ONLY talking about Vindman?  I got the feeling from reading your sentence that you were talking about the workplace in general.

I was in that instance, speaking in general terms.   But my whole point was that Vindman was fired for Vindictive reasons.  The testimony he gave, which we have to assume is true, did make his boss look bad. But what was Vindman supposed to do?  Lie?  Refuse to testify?  In the absence of any other incidents of “insubordination “ by Vindman to Trump, firing him for this was what an authoritarian leader would do.  And that is most certainly NOT good leadership.  Feel free to disagree, but I wouldn’t want to be employed under those conditions.   

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

I was in that instance, speaking in general terms.   But my whole point was that Vindman was fired for Vindictive reasons.  The testimony he gave, which we have to assume is true, did make his boss look bad. But what was Vindman supposed to do?  Lie?  Refuse to testify?  In the absence of any other incidents of “insubordination “ by Vindman to Trump, firing him for this was what an authoritarian leader would do.  And that is most certainly NOT good leadership.  Feel free to disagree, but I wouldn’t want to be employed under those conditions.   

I agree, I would not want to be employed under those conditions either.  I am sure we have all had crappy bosses.  

My point was that most people get canned because their bosses don't like them for some reason.  

The "I don't want yes men" argument (which was not yours, I am just speaking in general) that a lot of people bring up is, for the most part, BS.

I remember people b!^@hing that Bo only brought in yes men...well...yeah.  I mean most people want to bring in people that are going to agree with what they want to do, that is normal.  Again, not what you were arguing, just tossing that out there.

16 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

Vindman was supposed to report his concerns up the chain of command. Instead he ran to a politically sympathetic CIA person and tried to create trouble.  He's lucky he's not undergoing administrative review. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3
20 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

If the owner of a business is doing things knowingly illegally and an employee calls them out on it best believe that employee is going to get fired. It's completely unethical but also a completely natural reaction. No one likes getting caught.

This is so true and so easy to understand.

Trump’s words, bullied kids, scarred schools

The president’s rhetoric has changed the way hundreds of children are harassed in American classrooms, The Post found

Two kindergartners in Utah told a Latino boy that President Trump would send him back to Mexico, and teenagers in Maine sneered "Ban Muslims" at a classmate wearing a hijab. In Tennessee, a group of middle-schoolers linked arms, imitating the president's proposed border wall as they refused to let nonwhite students pass. In Ohio, another group of middle-schoolers surrounded a mixed-race sixth-grader and, as she confided to her mother, told the girl: "This is Trump country."

3 hours ago, GSG said:

Trump’s words, bullied kids, scarred schools

The president’s rhetoric has changed the way hundreds of children are harassed in American classrooms, The Post found

That is the kind of example set when we elect a thug to be president.  He appeals and inspires the lowest of values instead of leading us towards higher values.   Ironic thing is - Isn't  the First Lady's emphasis on stopping bullying in schools??

On 2/10/2020 at 9:07 AM, teachercd said:

The "I don't want yes men" argument (which was not yours, I am just speaking in general) that a lot of people bring up is, for the most part, BS.

Ummmm....no. 

an effective manager welcome people who are around him/her and are honest about their opinions. Express the opinion, let the leader make a decision then accept the decision and go. That’s not being a “yes man”. 

That’s having a good team around you that you trust. 

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Ummmm....no. 

an effective manager welcome people who are around him/her and are honest about their opinions. Express the opinion, let the leader make a decision then accept the decision and go. That’s not being a “yes man”. 

That’s having a good team around you that you trust. 

Ummm, exactly.  

13 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Good...so you agree that managers don’t just want yes men around them. 

I agree with what you described...a worker that shares his/her opinion and then the boss goes in the direction that they want and the worker complies.  

Wait...are you trying to get me to be a yes man!!!

10 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I agree with what you described...a worker that shares his/her opinion and then the boss goes in the direction that they want and the worker complies.  

Which might be what the employee suggested, or what another employee suggested that thought differently. 

That’s not surrounding yourself with “yes men”.