Trump's America

zoogs

13 hours ago, Moiraine said:

It's absolutely scary stuff. I'm glad Bowser and her team are fighting tooth and nail to prevent this. 

I could see an argument for the president commandeering the D.C police in the event of a legitimate national security threat locally in D.C. But that's the darkest of timelines and this ain't that.

Trump should not be vested with that power because he would abuse it. I can think of literally nothing he's done that isn't born of self-interest. If he controlled the D.C. police he would absolutely try and use them for maximum political benefit and that is wrong.

4 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

It's absolutely scary stuff. I'm glad Bowser and her team are fighting tooth and nail to prevent this. 

I could see an argument for the president commandeering the D.C police in the event of a legitimate national security threat locally in D.C. But that's the darkest of timelines and this ain't that.

Trump should not be vested with that power because he would abuse it. I can think of literally nothing he's done that isn't born of self-interest. If he controlled the D.C. police he would absolutely try and use them for maximum political benefit and that is wrong.

These laws were all okay before because we had presidents not willing to abuse them.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Trump is a great excuse for Congress to have far more power than the presidency.  Investing that kind of power in one man just begs for abuses like this.

A lot of Republicans argued about executive overreach and the need for more federalism BEFORE Trump.

Funny how they've gone mysteriously silent.

• Plus1 1