Trump's America

zoogs

51 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I've been trying to get to the original tweet on this. ??

2 hours ago, RedDenver said:

That's a more fair tweet than one I saw earlier that said this was a "well-known Nazi symbol."

I'm by no means a WWII/Nazi guru, but I consider myself fairly well-versed on the subject, and I was not acutely aware of this symbol being used. Either I just forgot about it or never saw it before.

Either way, not a good look.

Here is an article about the trump/nazi ad with the tweet

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/ny-trump-facebook-ads-nazi-blitz-20200618-lpdtlat62fcbzdy2dncj3hgsdq-story.html

Before Facebook removed the ad, Trump campaign spokesman Ken Farnaso demurred when asked why the symbol was used.

“The red triangle is an Antifa symbol,” Farnaso claimed in an email to the Daily News along with links to a handful of obscure online retail stores selling water bottles, t-shirts, posters and other gadgets with the triangle on it, along with descriptions calling the symbol “anti-fascist.”

After Facebook took the ad down, Trump campaign communications director Tim Murtaugh piled on without acknowledging the Nazi link.

“The inverted red triangle is a symbol used by Antifa, so it was included in an ad about Antifa,” Murtaugh said. “We would note that Facebook still has an inverted red triangle emoji in use, which looks exactly the same, so it’s curious that they would target only this ad.”

Jonathan Greenblatt, CEO of the Anti-Defamation League, did not buy Murtaugh’s explanation and said the ad is “offensive and deeply troubling,” whether or not the Trump campaign was aware of the triangle’s dark historical significance.

“It is not difficult for one to criticize their political opponent without using Nazi-era imagery,” Greenblatt said. “We implore the Trump campaign to take greater caution and familiarize themselves with the historical context before doing so. Ignorance is not an excuse for appropriating hateful symbols.”

• Thanks 1

Another Friday night...

U.S. Attorney who was investigating Giuliani was forced out and is being replaced by a guy who's never been an attorney before.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/19/nyregion/us-attorney-manhattan-trump.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/19/politics/southern-district-of-new-york-geoffrey-berman-jay-clayton/index.html

Geoffrey Berman, the powerful US attorney for the Southern District of New York who has investigated a number of powerful associates with connections to President Donald Trump, was forced out of his position Friday, two sources tell CNN.
--
In a late night press release announcing Berman's departure, the Justice Department said Trump intends to nominate Jay Clayton, the chairman of the Securities and Exchange Commission, who has never been a prosecutor.

--

Before Clayton was nominated to the SEC post by Trump, he was a corporate lawyer at Sullivan & Cromwell. If confirmed, Clayton would be the first non-prosecutor to lead SDNY.