Trump's America

zoogs

4 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Clearing the swamp indeed!  Remember this in November

And so did Pelosi’s husband and I’m sure countless other ‘rich’ people in politics and in general. People on here are so emotional... 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

On 7/6/2020 at 10:54 PM, Waldo said:

And so did Pelosi’s husband and I’m sure countless other ‘rich’ people in politics and in general. People on here are so emotional... 

A company he owns 8.1% of received a loan for a hotel it is invested in...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2020-07-06/firm-linked-to-pelosi-s-husband-got-virus-loan-u-s-data-show

6 hours ago, LumberJackSker said:

This is a sad man. His whole outfit is just to show what a tough guy he is from his pro usa shirt to no mask and then he cracks when asked to wear a mask by an old lady. 

I have been noticing the same thing. When I go to the grocery store in my town, mask-wearing is about 50%. The vast majority of men who do not wear masks also happen to be wearing shirts emblazoned with the American flag or some phrase about "freedom" or "these colors don't run" or something like that. 

That bothers me. I love my country and consider myself to be patriotic. But so often the folks who make a point of displaying their so-called patriotism are selfish a$$holes who don't really seem to care about their fellow citizens at all in their words and actions. 

I wish the left would start a movement to take back what it means to be an American and show what our values are, and expose the Trumpists not just as the corrupt racists they are, but also as unamerican.

• Plus1 9
46 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It's going to get interesting.

I guess that this is more of a meh, at least for me. Example: there are no "in-person" classes for fall semester, at a minimum, through mid-January when 2nd Semester resumes (hopefully) in person. That is 5 months that those students on an F1 can do the same thing, Elearning, from home. If they are in campus housing, but the University/College made all US students leave and return home, there would be a considerable investment on the staff to have these kids (stay/eat/security etc) on campus.

• Plus1 1
31 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I guess that this is more of a meh, at least for me. Example: there are no "in-person" classes for fall semester, at a minimum, through mid-January when 2nd Semester resumes (hopefully) in person. That is 5 months that those students on an F1 can do the same thing, Elearning, from home. If they are in campus housing, but the University/College made all US students leave and return home, there would be a considerable investment on the staff to have these kids (stay/eat/security etc) on campus.

Yet the schools who pay the staff think this is an idiotic move...

7 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

And, note that I said "at least for me" 

Not sure why you’re replying with this. I assumed it was your opinion. I also assume you either don’t have all the facts or maybe you don’t think it’s important because it doesn’t affect you. 

Just to add to my previous post, it’s up to the schools to decide whether to let anyone stay on campus. Telling foreign students they have to find different housing is a longass way from kicking them out of the country. This is actually a big deal and will result in lost revenue for the schools and communities. I have a PhD friend who is a professor at a school which told them they would be firing 30% of their faculty after this year and will announce who’s getting fired in October. That was before this moronic decision which will only make things worse. Another professor I know is very concerned with her job also.

This decision is about xenophobia, because there is no other explanation that makes sense, except it maybe just being an attack on higher education, which is constantly verbally attacked by the GOP. Probably both. 

I’ve posted it here before but when I was getting my MS more than half the students in my classes at UNL were from outside the country.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Not sure why you’re replying with this. I assumed it was your opinion. I also assume you either don’t have all the facts or maybe you don’t think it’s important because it doesn’t affect you. 

Just to add to my previous post, it’s up to the schools to decide whether to let anyone stay on campus. Telling foreign students they have to find different housing is a longass way from kicking them out of the country. This is actually a big deal and will result in lost revenue for the schools and communities. I have a PhD friend who is a professor at a school which told them they would be firing 30% of their faculty after this year and will announce who’s getting fired in October. That was before this moronic decision which will only make things worse. Another professor I know is very concerned with her job also.

This decision is about xenophobia, because there is no other explanation that makes sense, except it maybe just being an attack on higher education, which is constantly verbally attacked by the GOP. Probably both. 

I’ve posted it here before but when I was getting my MS more than half the students in my classes at UNL were from outside the country.

Definitely could be both. I am not as passionate about it, either way, as you.

Xenophobic or not, it will add additional costs to the school that chooses to let them stay the additional 5 months minimum, after sending everyone else home. Those additional costs will be recouped by higher tuition. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

Definitely could be both. I am not as passionate about it, either way, as you.

Xenophobic or not, it will add additional costs to the school that chooses to let them stay the additional 5 months minimum, after sending everyone else home. Those additional costs will be recouped by higher tuition. 

Your argument is like making a $5 bet and profiting $95 from your bet, and then complaining to everyone that you lost $5.

The amount of $ the schools/communities are going to lose by not having them there is going to significantly outweigh the extra cost of supporting the students by letting them stay there. It's not even going to be close. Maybe we should listen to whether the schools think this is a good idea. You're replying to news that Harvard and MIT are suing over this. I think schools probably know better whether this is a good thing. Even ignoring any moral issues, this is going to lose schools a lot of $ and communities a lot of $.

• Plus1 1
56 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Your argument is like making a $5 bet and profiting $95 from your bet, and then complaining to everyone that you lost $5.

The amount of $ the schools/communities are going to lose by not having them there is going to significantly outweigh the extra cost of supporting the students by letting them stay there. It's not even going to be close. Maybe we should listen to whether the schools think this is a good idea. You're replying to news that Harvard and MIT are suing over this. I think schools probably know better whether this is a good thing. Even ignoring any moral issues, this is going to lose schools a lot of $ and communities a lot of $.

They would pay for their online coursework whether they stay on campus or not...so you are not looking at this from the correct angle.

If all "traditional" students are sent home and off campus, who will foot the additional costs to keep campus facilities/dorms/cafeterias/study areas open? Putting campus employees at risk. Putting these foreign students at risk. 

• Plus1 1