Trump's America

zoogs

21 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

They would pay for their online coursework whether they stay on campus or not...so you are not looking at this from the correct angle.

If all "traditional" students are sent home and off campus, who will foot the additional costs to keep campus facilities/dorms/cafeterias/study areas open? Putting campus employees at risk. Putting these foreign students at risk. 

I don’t think I am. It’s not only about tuition and they are going to lose students due to this.

You are obsessing way too much on the added cost of taking care of fewer students in housing. I’m sure the cost will be higher per student but I’m also sure they will somewhat mitigate that by needing fewer staff. Also, I don’t think schools are required to house students but I could be wrong. But why not leave it up to the schools to decide on that instead of kicking students out of the country? It should be up to the schools to decide this. 

The key point I keep trying to make here is that schools and students think this is bad. You should be giving that a lot more weight than you are giving this housing detail. 

• Plus1 1

35 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

They would pay for their online coursework whether they stay on campus or not...so you are not looking at this from the correct angle.

When I went to UNL, I remember foreign students coming from countries where I would be surprised they have technology in some areas for these students to live and study on line.

17 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I don’t think I am. It’s not only about tuition and they are going to lose students due to this.

You are obsessing way too much on the added cost of taking care of fewer students in housing. I’m sure the cost will be higher per student but I’m also sure they will somewhat mitigate that by needing fewer staff. Also, I don’t think schools are required to house students but I could be wrong. But why not leave it up to the schools to decide on that instead of kicking students out of the country? It should be up to the schools to decide this. 

The key point I keep trying to make here is that schools and students think this is bad. You should be giving that a lot more weight than you are giving this housing detail. 

Thanks for your viewpoint Moiraine. I see some of where you are coming from, however, in another thread you say "well, kids should just stay home for a semester" when talking about what a burden part time school would be for parents of young ones. 

I disagree with letting the institutions have the call. These kids are here, in the US, on a visa for learning. Not for quarantining in their dorm facility, and taking classes online. If they can do that at home, because the Universities are shut down, then the schools do not (IMO) get to have the say so. 

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

When I went to UNL, I remember foreign students coming from countries where I would be surprised they have technology in some areas for these students to live and study on line.

That is probably accurate to a degree. Not sure how many students it would affect. 

6 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Thanks for your viewpoint Moiraine. I see some of where you are coming from, however, in another thread you say "well, kids should just stay home for a semester" when talking about what a burden part time school would be for parents of young ones. 

I disagree with letting the institutions have the call. These kids are here, in the US, on a visa for learning. Not for quarantining in their dorm facility, and taking classes online. If they can do that at home, because the Universities are shut down, then the schools do not (IMO) get to have the say so. 

Your initial objection to this was that it would cost the schools too much in upkeep. Now you're objecting to their visa status. The latter objection seems to be the true sticking point if your view is also that the schools don't have a say.

15 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Your initial objection to this was that it would cost the schools too much in upkeep. Now you're objecting to their visa status. The latter objection seems to be the true sticking point if your view is also that the schools don't have a say.

Nope, my objection is the cost would be subsidized by all the students that are forced to go home. The visa status is evidence to support my first position. But thanks for trying to turn this, like everything else anyone ever objects to, into something else. 

• Fire 1
2 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Nope, my objection is the cost would be subsidized by all the students that are forced to go home. The visa status is evidence to support my first position. But thanks for trying to turn this, like everything else anyone ever objects to, into something else. 

I'm literally using the words you used.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I'm literally using the words you used.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Uh oh, the shrugging emoji. I am definitely wrong then. 

Show me where I said I think the visa status is the actual topic for my views. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
Just now, DevoHusker said:

Uh oh, the shrugging emoji. I am definitely wrong then. 

Show me where I said I think the visa status is the actual topic for my views. 

I said it seems to be. If that's not the case, then it's confusing that initially you objected to the schools costs, but then said the schools shouldn't have a say.

Those are your words. I'm asking in good faith why the juxtaposition. It's a legit question.

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I said it seems to be. If that's not the case, then it's confusing that initially you objected to the schools costs, but then said the schools shouldn't have a say.

Those are your words. I'm asking in good faith why the juxtaposition. It's a legit question.

No juxtaposition. I am stating my opinion, which runs counter to Moiraine's, that I don't have any issue with these students going home until their campuses open again for the full campus and educational experience that I am happy they get to experience in the US. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

No juxtaposition. I am stating my opinion, which runs counter to Moiraine's, that I don't have any issue with these students going home until their campuses open again for the full campus and educational experience that I am happy they get to experience in the US. 

But if the schools want the kids to stay in the US and are willing to cover the costs, you have no objection to them staying, right?

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

But if the schools want the kids to stay in the US and are willing to cover the costs, you have no objection to them staying, right?

If the flap regarding the F1 visa status is cleared up, and they can cover the additional costs in staying on campus when no one else gets to so my kids don't have to...you betcha. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, DevoHusker said:

If the flap regarding the F1 visa status is cleared up, and they can cover the additional costs in staying on campus when no one else gets to so my kids don't have to...you betcha. 

Since those kids are all here on scholarship your kids are covering the costs of those students no matter what happens.

1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

I'm not seeing what your point is in the first paragraph. There are schools wanting to have reduced time in the classroom and people are fighting against that. I think the schools and school districts and local governments (with the advice of medical professionals) should have the biggest say and they should be cautious. Having lowly populated dormitories isn't being incautious. I'm not even sure if that's the point you're trying to make. I live in an apartment and it has maintenance people and cleaning people.

Why would schools not get a say? Why does it matter if we let foreigners come in and take online classes?