Repealing the ACA under Trump

2 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

Is there such thing as corporate overreach? Is it ok for corporations to leverage life and death situations into a higher demand for products and using that demand to vastly overcharge for said products? Is that freedom? Apparently it is overreach to implement guidelines to prevent this style of business and protect the majority of people, but not overreach to make the guidelines in such a way it allows corporations to take advantage of a person choosing between life or death, which at some point is nearly every citizen of our country. 

It is freedom. People can choose whether or not to work for these corporations and people can choose whether or not to support these corporations. Let the market decide and keep the government out of it. That’s how you get cronyism.

7 hours ago, NM11046 said:

Sorry to hear you had some health scares GBR - wondering if I might ask, what area of the country do you live in?  Have you always voted along party lines?    If you had your choice from the R's (or others) on the primary ballot who were you supporting?

I appreciate your contributions here, we need more like you to participate in these discussions - while I may not agree with your views I appreciate you sharing them and helping me better understand the "whys'.  Nothing will get better in this country if we don't listen to each other.

Thank you. All turned out well with the health stuff. I actually do live in Nebraska. I generally vote ideas over people, because people are woefully imperfect. That being said, I have mostly voted along party lines. I would consider voting libertarian over republican if the candidate was right, but I really could never vote Democrat. I’m sure I’ll catch a lot of flack for this, but there’s no way I could vote for a party that’s generally pro-abortion, pro higher taxes and bigger government, and a party that actually booed God....that’s just me though.

2 minutes ago, GBR0988 said:

but there’s no way I could vote for a party that’s generally pro-abortion, pro higher taxes and bigger government, and a party that actually booed God....that’s just me though.

The abortion rate goes down the same under Democratic led government (but will rise if there is funding cut for PP, or people in poverty don't have access to contraceptives or healthcare), the tax bill that the GOP just put forth is completely f'ing the middle class with higher taxes, and while Trump might not be making the government bigger, he's making it drastically more incompetent and unqualified by the day.

You voted for a President (I think? You haven't said for sure if you did, but you're defending him as if you did) who is betraying all the things you believe in.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, GBR0988 said:

Taxes for military and police are fine, the Post Office....not so much. How is the government forcing its citizens to purchase a service not overreach?

Military and police are services provided by the government that we're all forced to pay for. So why is that not overreach but something like the post office or ACA are? It's not about overreach, but rather which services you personally agree or disagree with.

22 hours ago, GBR0988 said:

Thank you. All turned out well with the health stuff. I actually do live in Nebraska. I generally vote ideas over people, because people are woefully imperfect. That being said, I have mostly voted along party lines. I would consider voting libertarian over republican if the candidate was right, but I really could never vote Democrat. I’m sure I’ll catch a lot of flack for this, but there’s no way I could vote for a party that’s generally pro-abortion, pro higher taxes and bigger government, and a party that actually booed God....that’s just me though.

Is there a famous incident where Democrats actually booed God?  Not saying it didn't happen, just don't recall it.

It's a really interesting piece of the debate. I think in almost any application of the life and teachings of Jesus Christ, they would adhere closer to Democrats than Republicans. Libertarianism has long been an outpost for marginalized atheists and agnostics. 

So it's become about abortion. You can be ethically loathsome and personally non-religious, you can turn your back on the poor and sick, you can wage war and embrace firearms, you can invite the money-lender INTO the temple and grant them generous tax benefits, i.e. you can behave in a selfish and un-Christian way all you want, but as long as you're the most likely candidate to overturn Roe vs. Wade, you can scoop up the evangelical Christian vote in America.

Not saying you are any of the above GBR. Appreciate your POV. It just spurred the observation. 

• Plus1 5

Here's a shot-chaser from Senator Orrin Hatch that should make anyone with a soul barf.

Here's the quote - ABOUT SICK KIDS!

Which makes this clip of Senator Sherrod Brown telling the truth about this garbage tax bill & Hatch's reaction even more ridiculous:

Orrin Hatch and his phony outrage need to leave the Senate, pronto.

Edited by dudeguyy
  • Plus1 2
19 hours ago, dudeguyy said:

Here's a shot-chaser from Senator Orrin Hatch that should make anyone with a soul barf.

Here's the quote - ABOUT SICK KIDS!

Which makes this clip of Senator Sherrod Brown telling the truth about this garbage tax bill & Hatch's reaction even more ridiculous:

Orrin Hatch and his phony outrage need to leave the Senate, pronto.

Wah wah wah you dont like our shameless giveaway to the rich? Thats not nice of you, stop that

• Plus1 1
20 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Is there a famous incident where Democrats actually booed God?  Not saying it didn't happen, just don't recall it.

It's a really interesting piece of the debate. I think in almost any application of the life and teachings of Jesus Christ, they would adhere closer to Democrats than Republicans. Libertarianism has long been an outpost for marginalized atheists and agnostics. 

So it's become about abortion. You can be ethically loathsome and personally non-religious, you can turn your back on the poor and sick, you can wage war and embrace firearms, you can invite the money-lender INTO the temple and grant them generous tax benefits, i.e. you can behave in a selfish and un-Christian way all you want, but as long as you're the most likely candidate to overturn Roe vs. Wade, you can scoop up the evangelical Christian vote in America.

Not saying you are any of the above GBR. Appreciate your POV. It just spurred the observation. 

This is what he's referring to.

But please let your own eyes and ears determine if the Democrat delegates here are actually booing God. :facepalm:

• Plus1 1

On 12/1/2017 at 10:20 PM, GBR0988 said:

One major thing that I haven’t seen discussed here is how the ACA is massive government overreach. Making it illegal for US citizens to not purchase a service is appalling for a country that is supposed to be free.

Also, while the ACA is really helpful to some people, it royally screws other people. The 1 and only year I used “Obamacare,” I had to go in for some tests.   Long story short, if I would’ve paid for these tests out of pocket, I would’ve saved right around $3500 that year. I realize this is how Insurance works. You’re betting the insurance company you will get sick and they’re betting you won’t, but for the government to force me to purchase something that directly took that money out of my pocket, that’s pretty much tyranny in my book. Also, my premiums nearly doubled the next year so I didn’t renew.

Oh, and since I waited until March to get insurance, I was fined $400 out of my already meager tax return. Thanks US government!

I agree with your assessment of the bold.  However, isn't it true that the system before the ACA helped some people but royally screwed others?

I am all for a system that doesn't screw people.  

How about if we develop a system where we pay on average for meds and procedures 1/3 of what we currently are in the US.  How about a system where everyone has access to that healthcare and doesn't force people to spend $30,000 on premiums or go bankrupt if they get sick or in an accident?

• Plus1 3
  • 6 months later...

Bear this in mind when your insurance premiums get more expensive next year, drastically so for a lot of people. Remember how Republicans claim to have "improved healthcare here."

In case you want a brief breakdown of how this case got here:

1. Texas + other conservative states sue, say ACA is unconstitutional.
  2. Federal government argues that it isn't, because it's been found to not be.
  3. Trump becomes president.
  4. Trump's DOJ switches sides; instead of defending ACA they now argue it should be found unconstitutional.

I'm no bird lawyer, but the reasoning as to why the ACA is apparently now unconstitutional seems like some backwards, crazy pants logic:

The lawsuit argued that without an actual monetary fine for not having health insurance, the mandate should be considered illegal under the rationale used by Chief Justice John Roberts to uphold the law in the famous 2012 lawsuit. Roberts had said that Congress could not order people to buy insurance, but that it could impose a tax penalty on them for not having insurance, which allowed the mandate and the rest of the law to stand and take effect. Without the financial penalty, repealed in the tax bill, the Republican-led states argued the requirement to buy insurance cannot legally stand. Because the mandate is so crucial to Obamacare, they continued, the whole law should be found unconstitutional too.

Usually, a presidential administration defends current law, but the Trump administration took a different tack, agreeing with the conservative states that the mandate and, with it, the law’s rules that prohibits insurers from denying people health insurance or charging them higher rates should now be found unconstitutional. However, the Justice Department lawyers told the court that the rest of the law could stand, including the law’s massive expansion of Medicaid to millions of the nation’s poorest citizens.

Just because Republicans of their own volition chose to repeal the mandate doesn't make the bolded unconstitutional. Because they choose to not levy a fine for not being insured doesn't mean they can't. They just choose not to. This is more akin to "we don't like this, we won't enforce it; please find it unconstitutional."

• Plus1 3

thank you gop....i don't need any medical insurance.  last year was diagnosed with diabetes and slightly high blood pressure.  now i have preexisting conditions and will probably be priced out of health insurance.    oh well.   it was good knowing you