Repealing the ACA under Trump

This display of poor leadership in Congress is really revealing. They were never prepared to really replace the ACA. The talk of repeal was as shallow as their multiple fake attempts to repeal it under Obama - like he was going to sign that bill. All show and no go. I think this could be fixed if both sides compromised and made it bipartisan. The dems have to realize that the ACA was on a death spiral and something had to be done the repubs have to grow up and realize that throwing darts from the darkness is far different than what they are called to do now - lead and come up with a bill that reduces cost of premiums, creating a safety net for those who cannot afford premiums, all with a plan with adequate coverage. Part of what makes insurance so expensive is that it covers everything including toenail fungus - limit coverage to major events and to a wellness check up and that may drive some costs down.

Let me add: I talked to my dad yesterday in SD. He just changed his party ID from Repub to Indep. I told him, his son isn't too far behind. Things like this (how the repubs are handling their golden opportunity - as in failure) give me little confidence in the party. Granted, no way I become or lean Dem - they have too many issues :blink: but I know of many good local Dems or Libertarians (besides my local repub congressman) who I could vote for without feeling an obligation towards a party.

I agree with the take that it si politically less damaging for this bill to actually fail than for them to pass it and have it own it.

However, it serves as a powerful reminder that given 7 years and a fully Republican Congress, the GOP couldn't field a better plan than the one they spent that entire time trashing.

Additionally, since my first priority is a functional healthcare system accessible to as many people as possible, this is a win. This was a horrible Frankenstein bill.

In a death spiral the ACA is not. But it is really poor governance for the party in power to flatly refuse to address imperfections in the law. In so doing, they hang us all out to dry waiting for an opportunity to force whatever plan they come up with on us if it does ultimately fail.

2 Good posts +1+1=+2

Ladies and Gentlemen.

I present to you what happens when the Republican party has 7 years to have close to 50 votes to repeal the ACA and all that time to prepare the most fantastic bill they could possibly come up with to replace it.

Great job people....!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

Lets not underestimate the power of the people. Kudos to those who called, wrote, went to town halls etc to let their reps know their opinions. The numbers opposed gave some moderates and conservatives the wherewithal to vote NO.

Two immigration bans blocked, healthcare voted down, Flynn fired - we are handling it folks! Stay the course.

The decision means the ACA remains in place, and a major GOP campaign promise goes unfulfilled. It also casts doubt on the Republican Party’s ability to govern and to advance other high-stakes agenda items, including tax reform and infrastructure spending. Ryan is still without a signature achievement as speaker — and the defeat undermines Trump’s image as a skilled dealmaker willing to strike compromises to push his agenda forward.

“Moving from an opposition party to a governing party comes with growing pains. We’re feeling those growing pains today,” Ryan told reporters at a news conference covered by at least 20 television cameras.

“This is a disappointing day for us. Doing big things is hard,” he added. “All of us, all of us — myself included — will need to time to reflect on how we got to this moment.”

Ryan said he would be conferring with fellow Republicans about how to proceed in the coming days, but he warned that “we’re going to be living with Obamacare for the foreseeable future.”

:facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: - one for each year they said they were going to repeal and replace

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/house-leaders-prepare-to-vote-friday-on-health-care-reform/2017/03/24/736f1cd6-1081-11e7-9d5a-a83e627dc120_story.html?utm_term=.2adc6c6b73c8

Great, the ACA needs tweaking, so now the Pubs, after a setback, are just taking their ball and going home. Not even bothering to try and reach across the aisle and have a bi-partisan attempt to fix it. So now when the ACA does continue to go bad, they will blame everyone else for not voting on this, even though this was a worse plan. Awesome strategy.

• Fire 2

It's worth noting that they didn't have the votes because it wasn't crappy enough for the Freedom Caucus to vote yes.

It goes to show how hard it was to get something like the ACA passed.

This can not be over looked.