Dems Rebuild

3 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Would be a good start...

I don't want the president to go down this path. I don't think Trump should've been able to do the ones he did and I would prefer if the Democrats made it harder to pass executive orders through laws. If they do a bunch of stuff like this with executive orders it will open the floodgates.

That said I would take the $50,000.

Just now, Moiraine said:

I don't want the president to go down this path. I don't think Trump should've been able to do the ones he did and I would prefer if the Democrats made it harder to pass executive orders through laws. If they do a bunch of stuff like this with executive orders it will open the floodgates.

Yeah me too :lol:

I'm in favor of doing popular stuff people want, however we can do it. If this stuff gets done through legislation it's bound to be more durable. But it can't happen unless the Turtle capitulates or gets his power taken away.

Passing bills that put the ball in his court and doing some stuff via EO can help produce one of those two outcomes.

And if they try to do stuff popular stuff people like that would help the economy, and the Turtle blocks it, and voters reward the GOP... well hell, I don't know what to do with America at that point.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Yeah me too :lol:

I'm in favor of doing popular stuff people want, however we can do it. If this stuff gets done through legislation it's bound to be more durable. But it can't happen unless the Turtle capitulates or gets his power taken away.

Passing bills that put the ball in his court and doing some stuff via EO can help produce one of those two outcomes.

And if they try to do stuff popular stuff people like that would help the economy, and the Turtle blocks it, and voters reward the GOP... well hell, I don't know what to do with America at that point.

If it's one off stuff, ok, but it could still come back to bite us horribly once a Republican is president again.

But he should be extremely careful. As much as I agree with what DACA did, it was a bad decision. Those people gave the government their names because of DACA. They could still be kicked out of the country at some point in the future if the EO is reversed. 

19 hours ago, Moiraine said:

19 hours ago, Moiraine said:

If it's one off stuff, ok, but it could still come back to bite us horribly once a Republican is president again.

But he should be extremely careful. As much as I agree with what DACA did, it was a bad decision. Those people gave the government their names because of DACA. They could still be kicked out of the country at some point in the future if the EO is reversed. 

I don't understand Dems that are afraid of the Repubs undoing what they did - of course they will! The Repubs have already broken the norms and are going to do that stuff regardless of what the Dems do. The floodgates are already open.

2 hours ago, RedDenver said:

I don't understand Dems that are afraid of the Repubs undoing what they did - of course they will! The Repubs have already broken the norms and are going to do that stuff regardless of what the Dems do. The floodgates are already open.

You should be able to understand why I mentioned DACA. The president shouldn’t do anything by EO that will put someone in immediate danger if it’s undone. Getting rid of student loans isn’t an example of this but DACA is. 

7 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

You should be able to understand why I mentioned DACA. The president shouldn’t do anything by EO that will put someone in immediate danger if it’s undone. Getting rid of student loans isn’t an example of this but DACA is. 

I understand why you mentioned it. I disagree. Should we instead make these people wait until the Dems have a majority in both Houses of Congress and have the Presidency, or should we instead do the best we can with what we have?

• Plus1 1
Just now, RedDenver said:

I understand why you mentioned it. I disagree. Should we instead make these people wait until the Dems have a majority in both Houses of Congress and have the Presidency, or should we instead do the best we can with what we have?

I don’t think we should promise something that requires someone to give up their name and puts them in immediate danger of being deported depending on who the president is. My guess is more of them will end up deported than would have withoit DACA but hopefully that’s not the case. 

2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I don’t think we should promise something that requires someone to give up their name and puts them in immediate danger of being deported depending on who the president is. My guess is more of them will end up deported than would have withoit DACA but hopefully that’s not the case. 

Then they would have been deported anonymously like many others. At least being under DACA gave them some legal standing to fight against being deported. Maybe more would have been deported under DACA maybe less, but at least they've been made visible and we can fight for them.

It will be interesting what free public education might do to our higher ed system. There are already a lot of colleges that are hurting. There are many towns that will be hurting when some of these colleges go under. There are real concerns as to how much more accessible higher education will actually be if public's are made free.

Also, can we figure out how to get rid of the need for labor unions? Maybe if we can get to the root of the problem, we won't need them anymore. How much better would it be if people didn't have to pay union dues? 

9 hours ago, jaws said:

Also, can we figure out how to get rid of the need for labor unions? Maybe if we can get to the root of the problem, we won't need them anymore. How much better would it be if people didn't have to pay union dues? 

I believe the right would call this... Communism.