Dems Rebuild

9 hours ago, jaws said:

Also, can we figure out how to get rid of the need for labor unions? Maybe if we can get to the root of the problem, we won't need them anymore. How much better would it be if people didn't have to pay union dues? 

I wouldn't trust corporations to treat workers fair in the absence of labor unions. It's been a century, sure, but one doesn't have to dig too hard to find evidence of what employers will do to workers if there's no fear of workers shutting it down.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I wouldn't trust corporations to treat workers fair in the absence of labor unions. It's been a century, sure, but one doesn't have to dig too hard to find evidence of what employers will do to workers if there's no fear of workers shutting it down.

They're a necessary "evil", but to Jaws point they too need reforming. Leaders are still being arrested for shady stuff in this day and age.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The unions can also protect those doing wrong. It isn't a perfect system. I just want it improved. 

5 minutes ago, ZRod said:

They're a necessary "evil", but to Jaws point they too need reforming. Leaders are still being arrested for shady stuff in this day and age.

4 minutes ago, jaws said:

The unions can also protect those doing wrong. It isn't a perfect system. I just want it improved. 

Definitely agree that Unions can be part of the problem. But getting rid of them is not the solution. Employers will run rampant in their absence.

4 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Definitely agree that Unions can be part of the problem. But getting rid of them is not the solution. Employers will run rampant in their absence.

He can correct me if I'm wrong, but what I think @jaws meant was that we should enact legislation to protect workers so that unions would basically become obsolete.

1 hour ago, ZRod said:

He can correct me if I'm wrong, but what I think @jaws meant was that we should enact legislation to protect workers so that unions would basically become obsolete.

Sounds good to me!  Then all we would need is a dedicated group to ensure that those protections aren't scaled back over time and new protections are added as dynamics in the workplace change.  That group could also help organize lawsuits or file grievances when necessary.

oh wait....:smokin

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
9 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Sounds good to me!  Then all we would need is a dedicated group to ensure that those protections aren't scaled back over time and new protections are added as dynamics in the workplace change.  That group could also help organize lawsuits or file grievances when necessary.

oh wait....:smokin

Yeah. We tried this with the Voter Rights Act. 

11 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Biden ran 15 points higher than Ilhan in her district and a couple points higher than AOC in her district. IDK if citing results in the "safe seats" really moves the needle. It's far more complicated. I like AOC but her style would get trounced in a general election unfortunately. 

How many points did Kasich outperform by again?

18 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Progressive ideas are no doubt popular.

Progressive politicians are all too often easily caricatured and demonized.

It's a stupid contradiction.

I think anything can be caricatured and demonized. That's where Dem messaging needs to be much better.

• Plus1 1